• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Splitting hairs, are we?

22 posts in this topic

Disclaimer: I don't own this book, nor do I really care about the designation. I just think it's a bit disingenuous for this to have received a "qualified" label, since the label essentially states that it is a "signature series" equivalent.

I hope they don't pull this thread - I'd like to learn what others think.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fnewitems%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26Type%3D%26f1%3Di%2ELastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ETitle%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2EVolumeNumber%26ODire3%3DASC&id=719998

No CGC witness, signatures on front cover = GLOD.

No CGC witness, signatures inside front cover = Notation on blue label.

CGC witness, regardless of signature placement = Yellow SS label.

Restored book with unverified signature on cover= PLOD & a grade deduction for writing on the cover

No CGC witness, signatures on front cover = GLOD.

No CGC witness, signatures inside front cover = Notation on blue label.

CGC witness, regardless of signature placement = Yellow SS label.

Restored book with unverified signature on cover= PLOD & a grade deduction for writing on the cover

Restored book with verified signature on cover = PYLOD.

qualified is for signatures that weren't witnessed.

My point exactly. This particular book was apparently a "Valiant Validated Signature Series. COA included". It would seem to me that this should suffice as assurance that these particular signatures are indeed, valid.

My point exactly. This particular book was apparently a "Valiant Validated Signature Series. COA included". It would seem to me that this should suffice as assurance that these particular signatures are indeed, valid.

It has to be witnessed by an official CGC SS witness to receive a CGC SS label, period.

It has to be witnessed by an official CGC SS witness to receive a CGC SS label, period.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would think that the original publisher of the book should carry as much weight in authentication as CGCs "official CGC SS witness". That was my original point - I know what CGC designates as its requirements for the SS "yellow label", and certainly people seem to be buying into it. I just find it to be, well, splitting hairs... :blahblah:

A little off-topic but I have a hardcover book of Ray Bradbury SCI_FI Short Stories that he wrote a note to me and signed on the inside cover and I took a picture/have a picture of him signing it. Would a third party accept that as proof/authenticity?

(I used to have two old EC comic-books (can't remember the titles) that had Ray Bradbury sci-fi stories in them and he signed for me...my english teacher in high school was his friend and he came and gave our class a lecture and I brought the books and he signed them but I've long since lost them...wish I still had those...)

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would think that the original publisher of the book should carry as much weight in authentication as CGCs "official CGC SS witness". That was my original point - I know what CGC designates as its requirements for the SS "yellow label", and certainly people seem to be buying into it. I just find it to be, well, splitting hairs... :blahblah:

Nope, if you're not official you're not official. It's not splitting hairs, it's keeping the label honest.

Bottom line: Certs can be switched and we do not want to pay lawyers or play judge and jury. We or one of our authorized reps WITNESS it, we stand by it.

End of story.

Sorry if that offends anyone, it was just to state policy and some reasons they are in place.

Bottom line: Certs can be switched and we do not want to pay lawyers or play judge and jury. We or one of our authorized reps WITNESS it, we stand by it.

End of story.

Sorry if that offends anyone, it was just to state policy and some reasons they are in place.

Do you charge for that service?

End of story.

Do you charge for that service?

Yes, it is a 2 drink minimum, if you are not a BSD then it is 5

What?

:jokealert:

End of story.

Totally makes sense! Too many people these days want to sue for nothing, why actually give them a possible reason by not having witnessed a signing? Anyone could fake a signature on one comic and get a COA from someone else who had a legit copy.

End of story.

Totally makes sense! Too many people these days want to sue for nothing, why actually give them a possible reason by not having witnessed a signing? Anyone could fake a signature on one comic and get a COA from someone else who had a legit copy.

That's true... I have a Shadowman #0 VVSS that the signature was smudged (basically ruined).

The Certificate of Authenticity is in perfect shape, though.... so it could be "married" to another "signed" copy.

(There would still be the problem of embossing the first page, as Valiant did,

but if it was valuable enough, that could be "faked" as well...)

For the record, a VVSS of Turok #1 sells for around $10 ungraded,

so even though it's a CGC 9.8, it's not a rare book... 5,500 copies...

and they're out there if you're looking.

I'd pay $40 for the CGC 9.8 slabbed one... maybe.

Other issues from the Valiant VSS books are much tougher to find,

and I am not at all offended by the "Green Label" that these books receive.

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/vvsstitle.asp

(The Eternal Warrior #27 VVSS is nearly non-existant on the secondary market...

but they may be mixed with the regular edition in dealer stock in shops around the country...

it's definitely worth it to at least check it out in the shops wherever you live...

look for Eternal Warrior #27 with signatures on the cover and a VVSS COA.)

These VVSS books already authenticate themselves, being direct from Valiant, with COA,

and embossing, so the slab is a "Green Label" that is equal to a "Yellow Label" in my eyes.

(thumbs u