• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What OA can you buy for $44K?

17 posts in this topic

Well there doen't seem to be no stopping the price madness if this ASM 6 page is a legit sale. Also the recent BIN of $15K for that FF 9 page I thought was quite high too considering those FF 11 pages on comiclink barely broke $10K .

Also that TOS Cap page on comiclink seems laughable at $7.5K but I guess nothing should surprise me right now.

Clem...

Clem; I think Subby v. Thing from ff9 is a pretty important and waaay cool matchup! 15k doesn't seem out of line to me. And, as I love the Imp. Man, I think they should be there too, but they aren't. Also, the pages that he's sold publically aren't the best pages from ff11, (although they are all great in my opinion). I recently bought a battle page from ff11 that I'd personally rather have than the ff9 page but I'm sure I'm in the minority! Also, that ToS page I'm predicting will sell fairly soon for that number or close to it. Doesn't seem out of line to me. Some people would probably rather have that page than a dps from the 70's!

You can buy an Arthur Adams published cover OA for $35k or 3 Byrne/Austin X-men splashes for $45k, if you are lucky to be offered that many. (worship)

Or you can buy several slabbed Cgc 8.0 DC SA keys like JLA 1, 9, Brave Bold 28, 34, Show 4, 8, 22, 34, Green Lantern vol. 2 #1, etc. :wishluck:

You can buy an Arthur Adams published cover OA for $35k or 3 Byrne/Austin X-men splashes for $45k, if you are lucky to be offered that many. (worship)

Or if you are talking about the really great ones...like the #137 splash $44k won't even get you one.

But you can get several Bolland Covers from several titles....and still have some left over for framing.

C

These kind of prices make me worried for my future in collecting art.

Someone mentioned on Comicart-L this week that the hobby is really becoming bifurcated between those with a lot of money and/or who built up a lot of equity by accumulating a lot of art years ago on the cheap, and those who can only dream of assembling a nice collection at today's prices. It's not only your collecting future we should be worried about, but the hobby as a whole - the bar is now set so high it's ridiculous. Sure, you can buy cheap Modern pages, convention sketches, etc., but a lot/most people getting in the hobby would love to own a Byrne and/or Cockrum first-run X-Men page, Ditko or Romita Spidey, Kirby FF, Miller Daredevil, etc. and these type of benchmark pieces are getting farther and farther out of reach of the typical collector. Imagine some newbie just getting into the hobby and finding out that a page from some 1980s DC one-shot called "The Killing Joke" is going to set him back more than his car and his wife's engagement ring combined. :Pdoh!

As for what $44K can buy...among the stuff I collect, it could theoretically buy any Vampirella artwork except for the Frazettas, the #19 Gonzalez cover and maybe the very, very best Sanjulians and/or Enrics (of course, I'm sure there are some pieces, including in my own collection, not for sale at any rational price). Conan and Red Sonja-wise, I'd think $44K could buy just about anything non-Frazetta except the very best BWS covers and maybe the very best Savage Sword paintings (heard the #1 cover by Boris was being shopped a few years back for a then-outlandish $50K).

Just for comparison's sake, I was at BMW of Manhattan yesterday and was told they cut put me in a new 2008 328xi with the premium option package for just over $41K, including taxes, title and delivery! As much as I like Ditko Spidey, I'm going to have to go with the BMW and $3K left over vs. that Lizard page for $44K. hm

Well, here are a few reasons why I think I should be safe (whatever that means).

Let's say I was offered a Ditko Spidey page and a Midnight Nation cover, both priced at $2K. Let's also assume that I couldn't sell them once I bought them. I'd take the Midnight Nation any day. I'm not nearly as interested in the older stuff.

Next, even when I'm done with school, have a steady job, and lots of disposable income, I doubt I'll pay over a few thousand for anything. As someone who is working toward becoming a high school teacher, it's unrealistic to think I'll ever even HAVE 44K to spend on something.

Third, and this is relatively new, I find my focus shifting toward the non-superhero or mainstream art. Young artists who are working on Vertigo books or other creator-owned stuff are really getting my attention. There's much more of a chance I can actually have a friendly relationship with them, they'll do a serious commission for much less, and I feel good supporting artists who are trying to feed their kids.

Hats off to those who can spend 50K on something. I'm not just not in that league, nor will I ever be. But there's still plenty of things for me to enjoy. And hey, with sites like CAF and boards like this, I can alway stare at the high priced stuff over my computer screen. :-)

Just for comparison's sake, I was at BMW of Manhattan yesterday and was told they cut put me in a new 2008 328xi with the premium option package for just over $41K, including taxes, title and delivery!

Didn't you just buy one of the sickest rides available? Now you're at the BMW dealer?

Damn you! :frustrated::baiting:

:foryou:

Didn't you just buy one of the sickest rides available? Now you're at the BMW dealer?

Yeah, I suspect that car isn't going to drive too well in the winter (unless we get another dry one like last year), so I'm looking to add a sedan with 4-wheel drive for commuting purposes. (shrug)

Anyway...is an ASM #6 page worth more than a new BMW 328xi? I guess it depends on the buyer... hm

Gene,

If that nameplate in your signature is your new car I think you need to post pictures of it. I dont care if this is a comic website or not, a car that fine needs to be shown off...

(thumbs u

Yeah, I suspect that car isn't going to drive too well in the winter (unless we get another dry one like last year), so I'm looking to add a sedan with 4-wheel drive for commuting purposes. (shrug)

Anyway...is an ASM #6 page worth more than a new BMW 328xi? I guess it depends on the buyer... hm

Well you know what they say "As soon as you drive it off the lot ......"

C

Well you know what they say "As soon as you drive it off the lot ......"

C

Wasn't there a corollary for comic book art? I seem to recall someone here on the boards saying something similar about exposing comic art, ad nauseum... :screwy:

Maybe it was just a bad dream. (thumbs u