• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

support your LCS

184 posts in this topic

I’m always surprised moderns get trashed on these boards as much as they do. I grew up reading bronze and copper age books. And as much as I still love those comics, I think there’s a better selection of good stuff coming out today than there’s ever been. I can understand people loving the comics they read when they were young. But for me, I read that stuff already. A lot of it hasn’t aged that well. I’m glad comics aren’t what they were twenty years ago because my tastes aren’t either.

I’m always surprised moderns get trashed on these boards as much as they do. I grew up reading bronze and copper age books. And as much as still love those comics, I think there’s a better selection of good stuff coming out today than there’s ever been. I can understand people loving the comics they read when they were young. But for me, I read that stuff already. A lot of it hasn’t aged that well. I’m glad comics aren’t what they were twenty years ago because my tastes aren’t either.

There's your answer -- compared to Bronze and Copper Age, today's comic books are great! It's the Silver and Gold fans complaining.

( :D in case it's needed. Even many GA fans admit that a lot of GA "stories" are unreadable. That's why they put the books in those plastic thingies and stare at the covers.)

Jack

I’m always surprised moderns get trashed on these boards as much as they do. I grew up reading bronze and copper age books. And as much as still love those comics, I think there’s a better selection of good stuff coming out today than there’s ever been. I can understand people loving the comics they read when they were young. But for me, I read that stuff already. A lot of it hasn’t aged that well. I’m glad comics aren’t what they were twenty years ago because my tastes aren’t either.

(worship)

You know, for a man of few words, you sure make a damn good point.

I just cut my pull list way way back at my LCS, mainly because I was buying stuff out of habit and wasn't reading it. That being said, I think there's GREAT comics coming out now - just off the top of my head, Fell, The Boys, Punisher, Owly are outstanding - and the medium supports interesting stuff.

Well, this thread seals the deal. I will venture out to one of our LCS today with Ellen and pick up a few titles mentioned here, and also see what she thinks is worth a read.

Ze-

I support my local LCS for new books, some back issues and supplies. I don't know about everyone else's LCS but they have so many subscribers that on a Wednesday you cannot get into the store at lunchtime it is so crowded.

personally I have tried everything. I am even burnt out and left cold by Indy stuff lately. The last great indy comic I read was Blankets & I think it is one of the best graphic novels ever written. The problem is for me, I bought too many books I ended up not liking, and at current cover prices, I can't aford to keep doing that. I couldn't even get into Ennis' Wormwood, & i LOVE Ennis. :sorry:

I've just been getting into Indy comics this year. I found a fun podcast that explores that whole world called Indie Spinner Rack. Now I have a long list of good comics that I've ranked by interest that I plan on reading. Check it out.

What are you looking for in a indy comic story?

Detached and Beaver by Jim Coon won Day Prizes (presented by Dave Sim) and are very humorous.

Whereas, The Ticking by Renee French blends humor with melancholy, longing, and an emptiness that taken together, result in a moving experience.

On topic, I think interest is moving more towards comic books and away from monthly magazines. And with more acceptance in literary circles, I think there will continue to be good comic stories created as graphic novels in the decades to come. The medium will live on.

Well, this thread seals the deal. I will venture out to one of our LCS today with Ellen and pick up a few titles mentioned here, and also see what she thinks is worth a read.

Ze-

My daughter LOVES Owly. She says she "makes up the words" as she reads it.

Well, since she is on an Owl kick lately this title sounds perfect.

We saw an owl exhibit at our local nature center last week, and she got to touch a great horned owl.. she has been hooting all week....ALL week. And is loking for mice to eat.

doh!

I am not trying to tell you what to buy, and I definitely not trying to encourage someone to buy every piece of junk that is put out today. I am talking more about the store than the product.

I was just stating my deal right now. (shrug)

However, when I support my LCS, I do it with back issue purchases and not new comics. (shrug) (shrug) I understand that comic companies have to try new stuff. I'm not disputing that. However, I also don't have to buy what I don't like. Why should I read new superhero stuff when I know I'll get more pleasure out of buying that 40 year old comic?

However, when I support my LCS, I do it with back issue purchases and not new comics...Why should I read new superhero stuff when I know I'll get more pleasure out of buying that 40 year old comic?

Roger that! I get far more joy out paying $10 for a nice back issue than I would spending the same amount on 2 moderns. But I'd definitely say I spend at LEAST 1/3 to 1/2 of my comic money at my LCS.

I’m always surprised moderns get trashed on these boards as much as they do. I grew up reading bronze and copper age books. And as much as I still love those comics, I think there’s a better selection of good stuff coming out today than there’s ever been. I can understand people loving the comics they read when they were young. But for me, I read that stuff already. A lot of it hasn’t aged that well. I’m glad comics aren’t what they were twenty years ago because my tastes aren’t either.

Question?.....what's to READ in todays comics???? WHERE is the text?

its all pictures, and ANYONE that says todays comics are good, let alone great, is seriously blind, daft, or a VERY easy date doh!

come on already...

I just cut my pull list way way back at my LCS, mainly because I was buying stuff out of habit and wasn't reading it. That being said, I think there's GREAT comics coming out now - just off the top of my head, Fell, The Boys, Punisher, Owly are outstanding - and the medium supports interesting stuff.

We actively ENCOURAGE our customers to stop buying titles out of habit. If you aren't reading them, why spend the money on them. It does a disservice to both your pocketbook and the publisher's expectations of what is actually worthwhile to print. Plus, as a retailer, I want my customers to be excited about anything they are spending money on. If they aren't thrilled with each purchase then eventually their enjoyment of the medium as a whole, and their shopping experience with us, will erode.

its all pictures, and ANYONE that says todays comics are good, let alone great, is seriously blind, daft, or a VERY easy date doh!

come on already...

By all means then, fill us in on what you collect. You do like comic books, don't you? hm

come on already...

By all means then, fill us in on what you collect. You do like comic books, don't you? hm

:popcorn: