• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Black Dossier.

17 posts in this topic

I understand that the long awaited "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier," described once by author Alan Moore in this column as "not my best comic ever, not the best comic ever, but the best thing ever," will not be published outside of the USA by America's Best Comics, an imprint of Wildstorm/DC Comics, or distributed in those territories by DC's distributor Diamond Comics.

DC sources inform me that the reasons for concern are over issues concerning copyright and trademark of certain literary characters referred to in the book, some that are public domain in the USA but not in other territories who have different copyright laws.

The US states that if a work was published before 1923, or it is 70 years since the death of the author, then it is in public domain. The UK has a similar rule, without the 1923 proviso, leading to a number of creations published before 1923 but not yet out of copyright. Canada, New Zealand and Australia also have no 1923-style ruling, but wait till 50 years after the author's demise, although Australia now has a 70 year policy for work created since 2005.

It was this difference that led to the suspension of the publication of "Lost Girls" until January 2008 in the UK, as only then will it be 70 years after the death of Peter Pan author Barrie.

However, previous "League" books have used characters and creations that are not yet in the UK public domain, such as HG Wells' Martians and The Invisible Man, and Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, Mycroft Holmes and Moriarty.

I understand that the new book goes at length to disguise or hide contentious characters, such as a British spy in the fifties who reports to "M" goes by the name "Jimmy."

However, just as with "Lost Girls," it is unlikely that the book will remain within the US shores, and that UK and other territories will be able to acquire copies through the "grey" market, distributed not illegally but not through official channels. Comic stores in the US will order on behalf of comic book stores in contested territories, even though this action is not permitted under Diamond's terms.

It is unlikely, however, that any of these copies will be distributed outside of the direct sales market, officially or otherwise. DC's redistributor to the UK bookstore market, Titan Books, will not be able to publish or distribute the book.

The book will be distributed in the USA as scheduled.

Disappointed we can't get it in Canada. However, the book is to be released on Wednesday November 14th and I'm at the National con in New York on the 16-18. I'll be snagging a few copies for friends and associates.

Because there are two different covers for this book.
That is too easy an explanation. Let me guess. An absolute HC edition and a normal HC edition. Am I right that they are skipping the individual books altogether this time?

No, it IS as simple as it sounds. There are two covers for this book - a 50-50 split, but one is referred to as a variant. Same identical interiors and it is a stand-alone graphic novel, it was never intended to be printed as a series of comic books.

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: BLACK DOSSIER to arrive in stores with two covers

August 21, 2007

WildStorm/DC Comics announces that THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: BLACK DOSSIER HC will feature two covers which may be ordered separately.

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: BLACK DOSSIER HC STANDARD EDITION features a black border and shows Mina Harker running through a hall with the Black Dossier in hand. This cover will be available to all U.S. retailers with Diamond accounts and retailers in the book trade market.

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: BLACK DOSSIER HC VARIANT EDITION features a blue background and shows Mina Harker in bed reading the Black Dossier. This cover will be available only to U.S. retailers with Diamond accounts.

Retailers may adjust orders through the new Final Order Cutoff date of August 23. Retailers who do not adjust their orders will receive the covers in a split of approximately 50/50.

As a reminder, this title will only be offered for sale by DC Comics to accounts in the United States.

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: BLACK DOSSIER HC is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 14.

http://www.dccomics.com/news/?nw=8450

As a reminder, this title will only be offered for sale by DC Comics to accounts in the United States.

Are we considered USA up here?

No we aren't. The Black Dossier will not be available in Canada.

Are we considered USA up here?

No we aren't. The Black Dossier will not be available in Canada.

:sorry:

The US states that if a work was published before 1923, or it is 70 years since the death of the author, then it is in public domain. The UK has a similar rule, without the 1923 proviso, leading to a number of creations published before 1923 but not yet out of copyright. Canada, New Zealand and Australia also have no 1923-style ruling, but wait till 50 years after the author's demise, although Australia now has a 70 year policy for work created since 2005.

It was this difference that led to the suspension of the publication of "Lost Girls" until January 2008 in the UK, as only then will it be 70 years after the death of Peter Pan author Barrie.

So to be clear again, for legal reasons The Black Dossier is not available in the UK, Canada, New Zealand or Australia so Diamond is limiting distribution to with the Unites States only. If you don't live in the US your options are to buy from a company like Amazon.com or a US based comic book seller, or to pick up the book when you visit the US (which is what I will be doing in November).

Thanks Kevin.

Won't be picking up the Absolute, that's for sure. I'll try and hold out for the TPB.

I wish they had done the Absolute first.

From what I've read this upcoming release is something else - it has all sorts of extras bound into it like an LP, a tijuana bible and so on. Those might not be included in a tpb release.