• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: So if I were to write the next Superman movie...

147 posts in this topic

I tried this in the "Screenwriters Leaving the next Superman movie" thread in Comics General, but that thread is dying, so I'm trying it here.

The writers of "Superman Returns", who were supposed to write the sequel, have decided to leave the project. Warner Brothers is feverishly listening to pitches from other writers, perhaps to lock in a writer with a fresh take before the WGA strike starts thursday of next week(so time is very much of the essense).

I have an "in", through a very good friend, to Gregory Novak, DC Comics' liasion to Hollywood. If I can write a two-page treatment that'll knock his socks off, he can get me in to pitch to Warner Brothers.

So, here's the question...what do you want to see in the next Superman movie? What did you dislike about Superman Returns that you'd like to see handled differently in a sequel? What villains would you like to see, or would you prefer someone/something brand new?

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. (thumbs u

I didn't like the Super-kid. He's a distraction that raised too many questions for me, questions that couldn't possibly be answered within the time constraints of a movie or two. But the can of worms has already been opened, so I guess it will have to be dealt with.

Also didn't like the whole peeping-tom, jealous Superman thing. Totally out of character.

I did like most everything else in the movie though. Lex was good, but I'd like to see a new villain for the second movie. How about Brainiac, Metallo, or Solomon Grundy? How about meeting Batman?

With that strike on the horizon the studios are trying to push a bunch of projects into the pipeline quickly!

Well I think Bryan Singer kind of screwed any chance of a quality sequel to Batman Returns. His refusal to do a revamp leaves you with little options for what basically is Superman 5. I agree that the Lex thing is a little tired and Batman Begins proves you don't need a major villain to make a quality film. If could work a -script with Bizzaro that would be awesome, don't know how exactly it would work though.

Good luck! Wish I could be of more help but all my knowledge is limited to Batman. I wrote my own revamp -script before Batman Begins came out but I couldn't get it in front of anyone who could do something about it, only a few casting directors. :(

You have quite a task ahead of you my friend but I am sure you can pull it off :)

:wishluck:

As I posted in the other thread, I'd like to see them go with Brainiac (although Luthor would work for me if they made him more like the comic-book evil business-man Luthor) and use Grant Morrison's idea from All-Star Superman #1.

SPOILER:

Basically, his idea was that Luthor sabatoges a space mission and the astronauts are headed directly towards the sun. Supes is called on to save the day, which he does. However, due to the extreme proximity to the sun, his solar body cells overcharge, and create a terminal condition in Supes. It was very cleverly done.

SPOILER OVER

Superman is a really tough character. He's virtually indestructable, so the standard "comic-book threat" is really a moot point. It has to be something "smarter" than kryptonite.

As I posted in the other thread, I'd like to see them go with Brainiac (although Luthor would work for me if they made him more like the comic-book evil business-man Luthor) and use Grant Morrison's idea from All-Star Superman #1.

SPOILER:

Basically, his idea was that Luthor sabatoges a space mission and the astronauts are headed directly towards the sun. Supes is called on to save the day, which he does. However, due to the extreme proximity to the sun, his solar body cells overcharge, and create a terminal condition in Supes. It was very cleverly done.

SPOILER OVER

Superman is a really tough character. He's virtually indestructable, so the standard "comic-book threat" is really a moot point. It has to be something "smarter" than kryptonite.

I loved All-Star Supes #1, but I suspect Warner Brothers wants to stay away from Lex this time.

On the other hand, Braniac might work very well.

Superman has trouble battling Vandal Savage, so enlists the aid of Bruce Wayne visiting from Gotham City. Else include Superdog so Warner Bros. can sell more action figures. :blahblah:

Sounds fun, but they'll disregard any pitch that includes Batman/Bruce Wayne.

I loved All-Star Supes #1, but I suspect Warner Brothers wants to stay away from Lex this time.

Yep. It would be easy enough to swap out Luthor for Brainiac in this scenario. You've got the "alien menace" of Brainiac setting Supes up before he invades Earth (or something along those lines).

I think the super-kid thing can be dealt with without making it an angst-ridden, weepy subplot. I wish they'd never come up with the idea, but it's workable.

I think the majority wants to see Brainiac, and if we are looking for ways to get rid of the Super-Kid,. his DNA could suddenly break down due to the mix of Kryptonian and Mortal DNA and then he becomes Bizarro, which would make it very hard for Supes to fight him knowing that it's actually his own son he's fighting, then somehow (Cadmus or Lex/Brainiac) offer to study the boy (Bizzaro) and help stabilize his DNA or something, all the while getting a good study of Kryptonian DNA to make an army of Supermen or Bizzaros or something like that. just a thought.

also, fix those darned bikini shorts !! go more traditional with the costume, I know that subject has been beat to death, but there's a reason why it has.

also, let Superman talk, he hardly spoke in SR, he's also an ordinary person who grew up on earth and was raised like most of us.. so he should interact like most of us,.. not just stand there silently looking stoic all the time... Chris Reeves' Superman is a good template for how Superman should interact with people.

good luck Nearmint, I can say "I knew you when" :wishluck:

Yep. It would be easy enough to swap out Luthor for Brainiac in this scenario. You've got the "alien menace" of Brainiac setting Supes up before he invades Earth (or something along those lines).

Not a bad idea. I know Braniac was an alien computer from the planet Colu in the the comics, but wasn't he a super computer from Krypton on Superman: TAS?

Could borrow from the eradicator and make him intent on terraforming the Earth in the image of Krypton. hm

Well considering how "well" they did with "Returns." I can only assume this means Return II will bring back Zod.......and 2 other Phantom Zone lackeys......and sex with Lois..... and Otis.

On the upside at least the DC movies do not require the hero/villians to take off their mask every five minutes to real face time on screen