• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: So if I were to write the next Superman movie...

147 posts in this topic

What about an Inner world invasion from Atlantis??? They are sick and tired of us poluting the water, and they decide to come out of hiding and eraticate the air breathers and Sups is the only thing standing in the way. They can start the movie with Superman saving a Metropolis from a Tsunami created by the Atlantians. So then the search for the sorce of the trouble and other sea born disasters leads Superman to Atlantis where he battles them to submission and then makes peace. Then takes the leaders top side to show the world of the destructive enviromental practices which leave the Atlantian babies with only one flipper.
So you're saying he should have Aquaman in it (since he can't sustain his own movie)? :D

First of all, easiest way to bork the Super-kid is just have his human DNA win out and he loses his powers altogether. Supes is conflicted but Lois is relieved when the kid breaks his wrist in a routine playground accident.

The Brainiac thoughts being floated here should give you an idea how popular he would be. Braniac should be the main threat and someone weaker should be a side-threat or part of the plan (as you posed Intergang for example). Brainiac could maybe somehow create the Bizarros but I'm not sure Bizarro anything will play to a non-comicbook crowd. Supes has a pretty weak rogues gallery anyway. Avoid Darkseid or any of that stuff.

An angle on Superman that's always intrigued me was from the Luthor series where Superman is viewed as the greatest threat to Earth. What if he decided not to be nice? An all powerful alien on a planet he can dominate?

Brainiac's motives could be escaping his creator(s)/captor(s) (if you go with an all new origin) but he finds that earth is too tempting a place to just lay low. He'd be at first intrigued by Supes and then annoyed but his ultimate goal could be to enslave Supes to make him some sort of enforcer to protect him as he conquers the Earth...and then...the galaxy! Etc.

Lots of good thoughts. It's all starting to percolate in my brain...

What about an Inner world invasion from Atlantis??? They are sick and tired of us poluting the water, and they decide to come out of hiding and eraticate the air breathers and Sups is the only thing standing in the way. They can start the movie with Superman saving a Metropolis from a Tsunami created by the Atlantians. So then the search for the sorce of the trouble and other sea born disasters leads Superman to Atlantis where he battles them to submission and then makes peace. Then takes the leaders top side to show the world of the destructive enviromental practices which leave the Atlantian babies with only one flipper.
So you're saying he should have Aquaman in it (since he can't sustain his own movie)? :D

Yeah, why not, its would be a tree hugger movie anyway. Hollywood would love it, and who cares as long as NM gets the movie and big bucks for writing the -script idea. Sides with a tree hugger enviro movie you could get some big stars, like Angelina Jolie to be Lois.

lol

Heck, why not just have a cross-over and have him battle Namor. Perhaps, if the battle takes place hundreds of feet under water, then the Sub-Mariner would stand a 1/100th chance of defeating Superman. hm

Awful difficult to make an underwater slugfest exciting, especially among people who can hold their breath for extended periods of time.

How about this. Braniac crash lands on Earth, either in a ship, or simply falls from the sky and lands unharmed. He warns mankind of an impending massive alien invasion...

...when actually he's come to disable every computer and electronic device on the planet to insure the success of the alien attack. An attack he himself devised.

Kids! Write your own Superman movie -script!

Superman must save _______________

(a) Metropolis

(b) Earth

© Manhattan

from an attack by ________________

(a) Brainiac

(b) Lex Luthor

© Al Qaeda

who commands an army from _________________.

(a) another planet

(b) the future

© Atlantis

Afterwards he tells Lois Lane _________________

(a) he loves her

(b) to get bent

© she won't be appearing in the sequel.

Kids! Write your own Superman movie -script!

Superman must save Metropolis

(b) Earth

© Manhattan

from an attack by Braniac

(a) Brainiac

(b) Lex Luthor

© Al Qaeda

who commands an army from Atlantis

(a) another planet

(b) the future

© Atlantis

Afterwards he tells Lois Lane to bend over

(a) he loves her

(b) to get bent

© she won't be appearing in the sequel.

I'd actually like to see the earth left out of the film. I'd like to see him on one of his intersteller patrols in which he comes across a planet of Superwomen who lost their men in a horrible plague. Or something like that. Do I get a screen credit?

I'd actually like to see the earth left out of the film. I'd like to see him on one of his intersteller patrols in which he comes across a planet of Superwomen who lost their men in a horrible plague. Or something like that. Do I get a screen credit?

Will Superman get to use his X-Ray vision on them ? hm

Hey Jeff, here is my take on what I not only think WB wants to do with Supes,(like it or loath SR) but how I would pitch them a movie that takes what they started and hopefully builds on it.

And now for something completely different.

Basic premise up to now

Supes, while still dealing with his return to Earth, he finally realizes/accepts Earth is his legacy and needs to stop with the second guessing and start acting like Superman(i.e.. settles in saves some people.. even does some things to help people they don't know about and get back to being Clark, he still loves Lois but she is with another man out of convenience and even though she bore Supes boy he knows it is for the best that he is raised as he was.. "normally" My guess is WB will not let this storyline go.. they WANT it in the -script.

That said, the kid has untold , unspecified powers,but he knows he is different and that Supes is his Dad even though nothing is said about i. And we see Lois deal with the obvious issues of raising super boy.

Scrap the ties to the previous Supes movies..it's time to cut old story lines and branch off in a new direction.

No Zod, Bizzarro is not mainstream enough to sell, Brainiac is also not the answer either. I say Doomsday. Doomsday offers the chance of unlimited -script directions. A real evil threat, action, and lots of sub plots to the past.

I see it as a classic opening to a Supes movie.

Superman being Clark Kent, Big city, lots of stuff happening.. but no Supes action.... (everyone expects a whiz bang opening, make them wait) We all know Clark is Supes, lets watch him interact for a while in his day to day life.. using his powers, or rather "not" using them to cheat. Seeing how he strives to not just fool everyone.. but actually "wanting" to fit in and not be "different". How he goes home and eats supper.. does he microwave his food, or does he zap it?.. does he clean his house super style.. or does he try and do it normally?

Then similar to War of the Worlds..let people see Doomsday come out of the ground, mountain, river, whatever area you choose.. look around become self realized.. and remember his past.. he hates all he sees. The real action then begins as Doomsday wreaks havoc, which then leads to people.. and in doing so enters Superman not knowing wtf he is facing, but used to not being knocked on his arse. which he is , repeatedly.

Battle, battle,fight fight. supes eats dirt, Doomsday walks away.. but remembers something about Supes, which triggers memories.. and hatred.. and a classic vengeance plot movie excecs love since people can almost sympathize with Doomsday because of how he was created.

Not sure how to take Doomsday from here.

But Clark retreats to the Fortress where he discovers Doomsday's appearance triggered a crystal hologram that fills him in on what Doomsday is/was and not just that.. what threat he poses and the key to destroying him.

And how his son is the key.

Supes can't beat Doomsday, but his son holds the key somehow. Not to outdo Supes, but just do different things Supes can't..hence making Supes vulnerable and dare I say it.. almost human. Just dont have Doomsday hold Lois hostage whatever you do.

It is one thing to be a superhero that is all powerful.. but that's only fun to watch for so long.

Not sure how to write it from there, but that's my idea. Just thinking out loud.

Ze-

Doomsday is a tough call. Would they want to use that character so soon after the "Superman: Doomsday" animated feature? They publicized the hell out of that thing in San Diego. Two showings in one of the ballrooms, and they handed out these GIANT canvas bags to literally tens of thousands of attendees advertising the DVD. People loved them because they were enormous and had plenty of room for all the free convention stuff. Heck, I use mine for a laundry bag.

Also, would a Doomsday storyline where he doesn't kill Supes be anticlimactic? Isn't that what everyone would be expecting?

The writer/s who get this job will have a major "wow" factor in their pitch. Something that sets them apart from everyone else that's walked into the room. Something that completely redefines the studio's own vision of what the film should be.

I guess that was my problem. Every time I tried to think of a "what if" idea I realized it was too close to the recent FF alien invasion movie, or the X-men movies already dealt with that Super human villian..etc..etc. I went with the foundation Super Returns laid and went with that.. cause just like the 3 Spidey movies.. I imagine that is what they wanted to do, try and carry over the people and stories from the first film.(or do they?.. Do you know?)

In the end you must decide if you want to write a movie that you think Supes fans want to see, or one that the studio thinks they could sell and then write a good enough -script to make it entertaining enough to work. And given WB's current position.. I dont see them wanting to take too much artistic licence, they want to make a hit popcorn movie.. not an arthouse film. Keep it simple,fun and fast paced. People will care about Superman if they can relate to him, otherwise it's only mindless action.

And btw.. it goes to show wtf I know.. I was not even aware that they even made a Doomsday animated feature.. let alone pimped it at SD. I just looked at the list of villains and went with the obvious choice.

Like I said, I was thinking out loud. Nothing to see here, these are not the droid's you are looking for.

Ze-

Hey Jeff, here is my take on what I not only think WB wants to do with Supes,(like it or loath SR) but how I would pitch them a movie that takes what they started and hopefully builds on it.

And now for something completely different.

Basic premise up to now

Supes, while still dealing with his return to Earth, he finally realizes/accepts Earth is his legacy and needs to stop with the second guessing and start acting like Superman(i.e.. settles in saves some people.. even does some things to help people they don't know about and get back to being Clark, he still loves Lois but she is with another man out of convenience and even though she bore Supes boy he knows it is for the best that he is raised as he was.. "normally" My guess is WB will not let this storyline go.. they WANT it in the -script.

That said, the kid has untold , unspecified powers,but he knows he is different and that Supes is his Dad even though nothing is said about i. And we see Lois deal with the obvious issues of raising super boy.

Scrap the ties to the previous Supes movies..it's time to cut old story lines and branch off in a new direction.

No Zod, Bizzarro is not mainstream enough to sell, Brainiac is also not the answer either. I say Doomsday. Doomsday offers the chance of unlimited -script directions. A real evil threat, action, and lots of sub plots to the past.

I see it as a classic opening to a Supes movie.

Superman being Clark Kent, Big city, lots of stuff happening.. but no Supes action.... (everyone expects a whiz bang opening, make them wait) We all know Clark is Supes, lets watch him interact for a while in his day to day life.. using his powers, or rather "not" using them to cheat. Seeing how he strives to not just fool everyone.. but actually "wanting" to fit in and not be "different". How he goes home and eats supper.. does he microwave his food, or does he zap it?.. does he clean his house super style.. or does he try and do it normally?

Then similar to War of the Worlds..let people see Doomsday come out of the ground, mountain, river, whatever area you choose.. look around become self realized.. and remember his past.. he hates all he sees. The real action then begins as Doomsday wreaks havoc, which then leads to people.. and in doing so enters Superman not knowing wtf he is facing, but used to not being knocked on his arse. which he is , repeatedly.

Battle, battle,fight fight. supes eats dirt, Doomsday walks away.. but remembers something about Supes, which triggers memories.. and hatred.. and a classic vengeance plot movie excecs love since people can almost sympathize with Doomsday because of how he was created.

Not sure how to take Doomsday from here.

But Clark retreats to the Fortress where he discovers Doomsday's appearance triggered a crystal hologram that fills him in on what Doomsday is/was and not just that.. what threat he poses and the key to destroying him.

And how his son is the key.

Supes can't beat Doomsday, but his son holds the key somehow. Not to outdo Supes, but just do different things Supes can't..hence making Supes vulnerable and dare I say it.. almost human. Just dont have Doomsday hold Lois hostage whatever you do.

It is one thing to be a superhero that is all powerful.. but that's only fun to watch for so long.

Not sure how to write it from there, but that's my idea. Just thinking out loud.

Ze-

(worship) I would so see that

I guess that was my problem. Every time I tried to think of a "what if" idea I realized it was too close to the recent FF alien invasion movie, or the X-men movies already dealt with that Super human villian..etc..etc. I went with the foundation Super Returns laid and went with that.. cause just like the 3 Spidey movies.. I imagine that is what they wanted to do, try and carry over the people and stories from the first film.(or do they?.. Do you know?)

In the end you must decide if you want to write a movie that you think Supes fans want to see, or one that the studio thinks they could sell and then write a good enough -script to make it entertaining enough to work. And given WB's current position.. I dont see them wanting to take too much artistic licence, they want to make a hit popcorn movie.. not an arthouse film. Keep it simple,fun and fast paced. People will care about Superman if they can relate to him, otherwise it's only mindless action.

And btw.. it goes to show wtf I know.. I was not even aware that they even made a Doomsday animated feature.. let alone pimped it at SD. I just looked at the list of villains and went with the obvious choice.

Like I said, I was thinking out loud. Nothing to see here, these are not the droid's you are looking for.

Ze-

No, I very much appreciate the suggestions. I haven't seen the animated flick myself. One of the interesting things about it is that it's PG-13.

How about this. Braniac crash lands on Earth, either in a ship, or simply falls from the sky and lands unharmed. He warns mankind of an impending massive alien invasion...

...when actually he's come to disable every computer and electronic device on the planet to insure the success of the alien attack. An attack he himself devised.

This actually sounds plausible. In this scenario, you can make Brainiac from (or appear to be from) Krypton (will help gain Supes trust initially).

I'd still go with the machine version of Brainiac. Perhaps he/it was created by Jor-El and other top scientists from Krypton (for what reason, I haven't thought of that yet - maybe to explore other galaxies for life so Kryptonians can make contact or gather information).

Without them knowing, Brainiac achieves sentience (sp?), turns evil (don't know how yet) and is actually directly responsible for the destruction of Krypton. He hops around the universe destroying any planet that has life.

Of course, since Jor-El and the others don't know Brainiac has turned, there is nothing in the FOS crystals that will give Supes a warning. Brainiac shows up on Earth to warn us of the impending alien attack (or whatever), gains Supes trust by proving to him he (Brainiac) is of Kryptonian origin.

(shrug)

BTW: this is the most fun thread in awhile! :banana:

No offense, but that sounds about as boring as eating shoe leather. :P

Don't worry Doc, no offense taken.

You know what they say.. those who don't do....critique!

:P

Ze-

No offense, but that sounds about as boring as eating shoe leather. :P

Don't worry Doc, no offense taken.

You know what they say.. those who don't do....critique!

:P

Ze-

lol

"the inevitable after-birth of the art critic" --- Mel Brooks History of the World Pt. 1.

gotta say, I love all the positive creative ideas in this thread, sure is a nice break from

" this will blow", "Fanboy crapfest", "Hollywood sucks" etc. etc.