• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do I have to have a resale license to register with Heritage?

19 posts in this topic

I just tried to register on Heritage and one of the mandatory fields required to be filled out is the resale certificate:

Note: You will be billed for sales tax unless you have the appropriate documentation on file at and verified by Heritage five days prior to the auction. This documentation consists of a Resale Form (download now) and a legible copy of your state issued license or permit issued in your name and/ or the name of the business for an appropriately related category of merchandise. If you do not have this documentation on file with Heritage, you have 14 days from the date of the sale to complete the form and send/fax a copy of your license or permit to receive a refund for the tax. Lots from different Auctions may not be aggregated for sales tax purposes.

It wont let you say NO ....

so do I just simply say I have this to register?

As far as I understand it most business have only the responsibility to collect tax for the state they do business in, or have representation in.

I do not believe they have to, or are obligated to collect state taxes for other states. That is generally what the use/excise tax is about. It is YOUR responsibility to pay for online taxes, not theirs.

IMO they are trying to just up their sales 4-8% and keep it. Take my site for instance, I only charge sales tax for Michigan residents.

If I collected other states it should send up a burning big red flag to you.

It would be criminal for them to collect sales tax and keep it so I don't think that is what they are doing. If they have a sufficient presence in or nexus with the state they are supposed to collect sales tax on any sale. Heritage might be taking the position that they have a sufficient presence in your state to be required to collect the sales tax rather than allowing the buyer to file the use tax return.

It would be criminal for them to collect sales tax and keep it so I don't think that is what they are doing.

Not doing it because "it's criminal"? That's not stopped them from other practices.

It would be criminal for them to collect sales tax and keep it so I don't think that is what they are doing.

Not doing it because "it's criminal"? That's not stopped them from other practices.

I only dealt with them on one auction for a graded book and it went fine.

If you look at the FAQ's on the Heritage website, you can find a table of sales tax requirements. Generally, it looks like they charge sales tax in certain states outside of Texas if it's a Signature auction and the auction is being conducted in that state. None of that should apply to Canada of course.

Oh thank God. That excuses everything, I take it all back.

meh

Oh thank God. That excuses everything, I take it all back.

meh

Thanks for articulating what "other practices" and "everything" means. Now I see how bad they are and relying on my own experience is dwarfed by comparison to your insight.

meh