• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Foxing Thread

82 posts in this topic

Just For You

And with this five minute act all of my practice, sharing etc is suddenly valid whereas before, it meant nothing becuase this place itself is not justification. Or have I misconstrued "As long as it's not just some online post or forum comment." to be a rousing endorsement of this place?

Sir Pov:

Upon completion of required pre-requisites, I hereby annoint thee as a valid contributor to the field of historic paper preservation. What was before known to all, shall now be known to all...plus Omnipotent Joe.

Let the news be spread about the land, far and wide, that Pov is now valid, all his statements shall be construed as being on the official record, and that they represent the rigorous analysis of a paper preservation expert. As such, Omnipotent Joe is now required to follow thru with his proclamation:

"Gimme a link to the FAQ you created and I'll humbly apologize."

Upon completion of the above act of humility, Omnipotent Joe shall be free to once again terrorize, criticize, and otherwise demean those that do not subscribe to his theories and philosophies regarding the comic book market...and life in general.

So it is said, so it shall be done.

So... just so I'm clear on the rules here... a Usenet FAQ trumps a sticky thread on these forums, but a MS Word generated web page is at least its equal.

Also... even if we feel information is wrong, as long as it's in a Usenet FAQ we shouldn't take issue with it? I guess that makes sense, because, as well all know, if it's on the Internet it's got to be true, but if it's on Usenet it's got to be truer!

So... just so I'm clear on the rules here... a Usenet FAQ trumps a sticky thread on these forums, but a MS Word generated web page is at least its equal.

Also... even if we feel information is wrong, as long as it's in a Usenet FAQ we shouldn't take issue with it? I guess that makes sense, because, as well all know, if it's on the Internet it's got to be true, but if it's on Usenet it's got to be truer!

Man, you got ME!!! I didn't make up this set of rules. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, but I've had enough of this backseat driving on the Net, where some guy takes the time to post something of interest, and leaves out a few details, and is then belittled by others who have produced nada for public consumption.

Pov didn't "belittle" anyone. He disagreed, and mostly in a respectful way. And...he HAS contributed something very similar to a FAQ on the web. Check out the post pinned to the top of this forum--he wrote almost everything of value in it, and I find it to be the most verbosely detailed description for how to detect restoration that has ever been put to paper or typed to Internet-available hard disk. If anyone disagrees, PLEASE share with me the better source for this information, because I've been hunting high and low for such published info for YEARS!

If you want to talk the talk, then start walking the walk, and do your own Expert Guide (it's not a $100 million movie we're talking about, just a bunch of text) and open yourself up to the same level of criticism and belittlement. Otherwise, it's the just the usual hot-air, Net-antagonism we see each and every day.

I didn't realize you had your own comic book price guide and comic book grading guide published somewhere. If you do, I'd be interested in seeing a web link or an Amazon link to what you've published. Or...by hot-air, net-antagonism...did you mean your own aggressively bulldogish anti-CGC and anti-Overstreet posts? confused.gif

Positive criticism is the lifeblood of progressive thinking...negative criticism is the enemy of it to most people unless you can get around the ego of the critic and get to his point. Pov didn't just say they were wrong...he offered suggestions for why they were wrong and what the right approach was. Positive criticism.

He was a bit "schoolteacherish" and overly perturbed in his chiding of his perception of their inaccuracy, but essentially, the criticism was positive.

He was a bit "schoolteacherish" and overly perturbed in his chiding of his perception of their inaccuracy, but essentially, the criticism was positive.

Yeah, I did get a bit perturbed. Sorry about that! It is always better to appear smile.gif than insane.gif!

And I also have made similar contributions to the MOPO (Movie Poster) collector's group/newsgroup (also a public internet forum ) on various paper restoration techniques.

Gimme a link to the FAQ you created and I'll humbly apologize.

Where is my humble apology? And remember - it is Forum Favorites Sweeps Week!

Where's your USENET FAQ? I do admit providing a permanent webpage link is head and shoulder's above a simple forum post, but it's got a long way to go in terms of exposure.

P.S. No one said you couldn't disagree with a FAQ, only that people put some hard work into these, and your tone was similar to other Net wags who like toi complain a lot instead of doing the positive thing: emailing the author with your suggestions on how to improve it.

Where's your USENET FAQ? I do admit providing a permanent webpage link is head and shoulder's above a simple forum post, but it's got a long way to go in terms of exposure.

P.S. No one said you couldn't disagree with a FAQ, only that people put some hard work into these, and your tone was similar to other Net wags who like toi complain a lot instead of doing the positive thing: emailing the author with your suggestions on how to improve it.

My god Joe, don't you even know how that looks? THIS is what you specified: Nope, as long as it's a permanent link to a document you created, it could be a FAQ, a webpage, an online article, etc. As long as it's not just some online post or forum comment.

I created a web page (it is HTM format) and also a permanenet link to that web page, which qualifies as both a web page and a permanent link to a document.

It is also about as close to a FAQ as you can get because each section is headed with a specific topic.

I tick you off for one reason and one reason only - and it has nothing to do with morals or integrity or ANYTHING except the fact that I will argue you longer than anyone else here will, I will pick apart your "points" more than anyone else will here and I will "leave no stone untoyned" regarding your posts I disagree with.

Now, should I decide to make this a USENET FAQ I am sure you will come up with another qualifier. You set the game. You called the rules. I adhered VERY closely to the rules you called and then you try the bait and switch. This is not even worth a graemlin.

...hmm...not exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread. boo.gif

Oh wait, I get it: JC assumed the thread title was a povertyrow-esque typo for "Official Boxing Thread!" thumbsup2.gif

Oh wait, I get it: JC assumed the thread title was a povertyrow-esque typo for "Official Boxing Thread!" thumbsup2.gif

Bah...just talk about your sweet DCs and throw everyone for a loop! confused-smiley-013.gif

My god Joe, don't you even know how that looks? THIS is what you specified: Nope, as long as it's a permanent link to a document you created, it could be a FAQ, a webpage, an online article, etc. As long as it's not just some online post or forum comment.

For those with reading disabilities, here's the original comment:

"Gimme a link to the FAQ you created and I'll humbly apologize."

This was in reference to the USENET FAQ you were tearing apart, and what you quote above has no bearing on my "apology". That comment you mis-used was in reference to having the Guide available online and widely available, as opposed to on our closed lttle forums.

I tick you off for one reason and one reason only - and it has nothing to do with morals or integrity or ANYTHING except the fact that I will argue you longer than anyone else here will, I will pick apart your "points" more than anyone else

Using the above example, you couldn't pick your nose. I know what I wrote and so do you, so stop trying to join the Forum Bum Buddy crowd by twisting it around to suit your needs.

This is what you get for posting it here and not on Usenet. All the really important info is on Usenet.

For those with reading disabilities, here's the original comment:

Yep - see no USENET there.

That comment you mis-used was in reference to having the Guide available online and widely available, as opposed to on our closed lttle forums.

Now HOW could I misuse this comment? "Nope, as long as it's a permanent link to a document you created, it could be a FAQ, a webpage, an online article, etc. As long as it's not just some online post or forum comment."

You specifed in your SECOND post - I assume the second has precedence over the phantom Usenet firs- what you expected. I supplied same.

Now I can get you a good deal on some high grade maple syrup from Maine for all those waffles!

Just in case anyone was wondering how difficult it would be to find pov's restoration detection post, check the fifth result here ...

Google Search: comic book restoration

Whoa, cool - doesn't get any more "out there" than that, now does it? thumbsup2.gif

Me wonders if Omnipotent Joe would like his humble pie served warm, or cold and stale? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif