• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Who's seen a ghost? For real...

135 posts in this topic

Posted this over a year ago in a similar thread Jeff made. Here it is again,it's quite long so skip to the end if you dont want all the backstory set up baloney. But it is Halloween..so on with the ghost stories.

I have a Ghost story of sorts. 100% true, and very real because it just happened to me on Tuesday.

Part 1 of 2

Last November my dad passed away. 2 weeks ago his wife, my step mom joined him They were married almost 30 years. I wish them both well wherever they may be. The following paragraphs are backstory to help set up the end of the story.

She(Susie) was a real piece of work. Back in the day she was a pretty young thing who my dad married 2 weeks after his divorce was final from my mother. I dont blame him really.

Susie never liked us kids..we were "in the way" as she was famous for saying.

She started out as a decent young woman, but became a truly bitter, delusional lady after 35 years of abusing herself. And ultimately finally pickled herself to death. I was not really very close to her the entire time I knew her (27 years).

After my dad died it was up to us to help her carry on even though she did not want any help. (she had NO friends and NO other family) While helping her after my dad died, she would have "spells, or fits". During these fits she pulled a gun on me, I was spit on, and cursed at enough times to fill a book. It was a very painful situation, but I knew she was not in good mental health so I did what I thought was right. To her were were simply money grubbing kids and wanted us to get the f out of her house, yet she could not cook for herself, pay the bills, (or change her colostomy bag for that matter). While alive my Dad did everything for her. All I ever wanted after he passed away was some of my dads personal belongings, but it was not gonna happen. I accepted the few things she offered me and left it at that.

A few months after my dad died, in comes her long lost step brother when he was made aware there was no will found.(Which we looked and ,looked for, and since no lawyer came forward, or whose name was ever found...well .no will means my sister and I had no rights to anything. So after al long difficult period we tried to help him relocate her to Vermont, and then Arizona where her brother lived. But she insisted on staying at her house. She told me and my sister to stay out of her life and thanks for nothing. See ya. I heard nothing from either of them for a few moths till I heard Susie died a few weeks ago. Her step brother is actually a very civil, well mannered,not to mention a very wealthy man. After speaking with him, he expressed how terrible he felt about how she treated us, and true to his word he gave us keys to the new locks that were recently put in per Susie's request after my "last visit" a few months ago. He said to take anything we wanted as it was ours. He was going to auction it all off after we found anything we wanted in the house.

Enough backstory.

Tuesday I went to the house, by myself.. It was my third trip to the house after both of them died.

The first time was with my sister last Saturday right after the funeral.

The second time was with my daughter on Monday to turn on some lights, and check on a toilet that always runs, and simply check the house in general.

My most recent visit was 4 days ago. Tuesday.I went alone to check the house room by room at night after my wife got home to watch Ellen.

Needless to say it was a very bizarre feeling as I turned the key and entered the house, right before sunset. I was VERY aware I was alone, and VERY, very aware I was in someone else's house. Hard to explain, I just felt like I was violating their home by being there. Even though it was now rightfully mine.

I went there to dig around the dingy basement(which was clearly my Dads area) I found all his old camera collection. Photo albums,enough to fill my cars trunk(He was a pro photographer) I found his old trainset, a few books,his guitars, old files about his family and military background which was all new info to me. That was about it, he was not big on keeping things or buying things for that matter. I got what I wanted, some of my dads stuff. As I went upstairs to look around I didnt find much of anything of my Dads that interested me. It was all Susies taste..furniture, china, paintings..etc..it was Susie house.. all over. In his bedroom(they had seperate bedrooms at that point) I found more cameras, some old microscopes and a few other personal items. And also some files on their house. A homeowners policy which listed all of Susies Jewelery.. about 25 items, around $35,000. I remember my sister saying she didnt find anything but loads of costume junk jewelry when she went through Susies room on Saturday.(even though I told her not to) Either her brother took it all which I doubt. Or my sister did, and didnt tell me, or it was all still in her room somewhere. I wanted to see for myself.

So I went into Susies bedroom and turned on the light.

Part 2 to come tonight.

So I walked into Susies room and turned on the light.

It was the main bedroom of the house. When you walk into the room you see a huge waterbed that juts out into the middle of the room. Turn right upon entering and there are 2 sets of sliding door closets that take up the entire wall. The wall opposite the bed also had dresser drawers on either side of a large double window.

I went about opening the large closest first. The kind with little circle cut out finger holds that always come off the track..like in most cheap apartments. I wrestled one of them open and was greeted by shoes, coats, and hats, and sweaters. All in order, all stacked according to color, and all in plastic bags.I did not even attempt to go through these items. I picked up several at random and realized they were all empty.On to the next closet, same thing..more bags..in order..and all emtpy.

So I moved in order around the room. Next up was the dresser to the right of the big window. It was huge,with deep drawers.. filled with clothes of all kinds, all in plastic bags. I am detecting a theme here. I did find a few photo albums in the top drawer. The only weird thing was her wigs on top of the dresser. She had 2 large Mannequin heads on top of the dresser. Each one had a red wig with tissue paper on top of the wig separating the hat that was placed on top.

I moved my way left around the room to the desk under the big window, nothing of note. Next was the dresser to the left of the big window. Same style as the other dresser. This one was not filled with clothes, but jewelery. All kind, bracelets, bangle, earrings, chains, rings , 100's and 100's of items. Each piece in a plastic bag, all in bigger bags. I rifled through them quickly, I knew it was all junk.

Moving to the last wall opposite the door was a smaller dresser. It also held jewelery, all in bags, Nicer stuff. But not what was on the policy. I shut the drawers and looked around, actually looking up for the first time in about an hour.

The closet door was open. I will not swear I shut it, but I will swear it was a pain to open and close.So I knew I shut it as soon as I went back to try reclose it..it was not noisy because the bottom track was not on the runner, it was riding on the carpet. I re slid the closet door shut not thinking much about it and went back to the dresser by the bed.

I found a few items of worth in that dresser, but not what I was looking for. So I closed it up. Went to looking for items in or around her bed. It had a large headboard with shelves. I found journals, diaries, and personal papers. I took them all, put them in a box after leafing through them. This was where I discovered her fathers original art drawings.I sat and read those for a good while.I was satisfied that there was nothing else in the room I wanted, nor of any value to anyone but Susie so I walk around the bed to exit the room, shifting the box of stuff to my right arm as I flicked the light switch with my left hand, as I am switching the light off I hear a "whuuoaapump" sound. I immediately turn around to see one of the Mannequin heads rolling around end over end on the floor, the wig was against the wall by the bed as was the hat, the piece of tissue paper was floating down to the ground like a leaf. I put the box of stuff down to go pick up the wig and hat, and only as I am placing all the items as they were back on the dresser did I realize just wtf had taken place. My hair went up, goose bumps, the works. I laugh at myself and set the Mannequin head back up just as it was and I smacked the dresser to try and knock it off, I bumped it with my hip, I rocked it back and forth to try and dislodge either Mannequin head from the dresser. Niether budged. I then whapped the head with my hand to simulate just what would happen if it fell off the top of the dresser when I was shutting the nearby closet earlier. It fell to my feet, not 1 foot from the dresser, I tried again, this time harder. It landed right next to the dresser, as it should have, hat intact

When I originally left the room and turned off the light and heard the whoop sound the Mannequin head was a good 10-12 feet from the dresser, and was rolling forward, and the tissue paper was still above my head, floating downwards.

I turned off the light again and left the house. I have not yet been back to the house.

I have no idea how to explain what took place. Or what it even means. But I know this, something did happen. I admit when I first entered the house I was jumpy. But after 4 hours of going through a home it kinda looses it's edge. I was not jumpy when this took place. I was ready to leave, tired, and hungry. Sounds weird I know,I dont have ghost sightings to relate, or photos of ectoplasm walking around the house. but it happened just as I wrote it. I wrote this for two reasons, because believe it or not I thought of this thread, and Ghosthunters as I drove home. And as time goes by I am finding myself not even believing it actually took place at all. So I wanted to write it down before I forgot it. Or chickened out because it sounds silly.

Here are a few photos of Susie so you can put a face to my story. Her life started out with promise. It ended up alone, and from what I can gleen..in sadness. I know for a fact that she did not want me in her bedroom and I guess she told me as much.

RIP Susie

Ze-

susie1.jpg

I believed in them when I was younger, but in my older age I've adopted a Dr. 13 type skeptical attitude towards them. It seems there's a logical reasoning for most of these supposed appearances.

I still like to believe, though.

House :headbang:

I find these tales and recollections fascinating. I am very skeptical of most I've heard over the years. I have had only 2 "events" happen to me. The first one I can't explain, the second is a classic-style tale that probably can be attributed to dreaming.

The first time I ever experienced something I couldn't explain was back in 1982. I was 16 and my parent's and younger brother went to visit some relatives for the night. It was a Saturday and I wanted to stay back and I'd take care of our dog, a toy poodle. There was nothing special about our house or any history to it.

I came back from a friend's house around dusk. I remember the sequence of events still very vividly. I went through our back porch and unlocked the back door. Our dog came up to me but not in it's usual "jumping/excited to see me" way. I took notice but figured nothing was up. I proceeded to go into the living room and turned on the TV. After a few minutes, I heard my chair move in my bedroom which was at the end of the hall. There was no carpeting in my room and I knew that distinct sound of my chair moving. It was a short burst of sound as if it shoved back. Looking down at our dog, I noticed it was focused intently on the hallway. My first reaction was someone was in the house. I slowly walked down the hallway, turned on my bedroom lights and found nothing amiss. The windows were secure, the closet empty, nothing under the bed. I shrugged and figured it was my imagination.

I went back down to the living room and sat down by the couch. My dog followed closely though it was still rivited on the hallway as if something was there. About 5 minutes later, the same sound came from my room. Now, I knew this sound and knew no one could be in there. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a butcher's knife. (I know, logic didn't dictate at the moment. I'm sure a knife would have no effect on a spirit. lol ) I walked down to my room, rushed in and hit the lights. Nothing was there.

There is a funny interlude here. My parent's bedroom was right next door and I noticed our dog peeking in it. I got worried that someone was in it as I didn't check it out originally. I slowly opened their door and proceeded to scream. My dad had left clothes on the bed and it looked as if someone was laying there in the moonlight. I ran to the living room, my heart racing like a pony.

I figured I had enough so I called another friend and asked if I could spend the night. I ran out to my bike and raced through the subdivision to my friend's house. I know I heard the sounds that night and cannot explain them to this day.

The other "event" that I probably attribute to dreaming was in 1999. My grandmother, who I was very close to, was in the nursing home. I went to bed around 10:00 pm on a Sunday. At some point, I remember waking up because the door to our room was open. I thought it was our 4 year old daughter getting up in the night but all there was was a bright light. I recall shielding my eyes and a voice in my head said "everything's alright, go back to sleep". I did just that. At 11:00, the phone rang and woke me up. It was the nursing home telling me my grandmother had passed away that evening. I asked what time and they said it was in the last hour. I still remember how comforting the voice was that I seemed to wake up to in my dream.

Well, those are my stories and I'm sticking to them. lol

Here is a story that continues to give me goosebumps and chills everytime I think of it or I retell it.

My mother had passed away the day before Thanksgiving, 2004, after health complications. It was a devasting blow and Thanksgiving has never been and probably never will be the same for me again. I felt especially horrible for my son who was three at that time, whom she loved so very much, and he still remembers "halmonee", Korean for grandmother.

About three weeks after her passing, my son was downstairs in the basement, and I could hear him talking. I was preparing a little snack and was carrying the crackers and juice down the steps when he came running to the bottom of the stairs yelling, "Daddy! It's a ghost! It's a ghost!" I was not really sure if he was playing so I tried to reassure that what he saw was not a ghost. My son then proceeded to look over his right shoulder, looking back into the basement and then he looked back at me and said, "Oh Daddy! It's not a ghost! It's halmonee!"

I was stunned and came downstairs to look around. I didn't see anything of course and I was a little shaken by what my son had said. It wasn't until I caught a brief whiff of my mom's favorite perfume that I had to sit down, broken down in tears. She had been there, and my three year old son had seen her.

Now, here's the thing...

I've just got back from a session and am not exactly 100%...don't mix beers and spirits, boys and girls. (tsk)

However, I have one experience of my own that's better classified as weird than frightening, and one experience of my mother's that is truly terrifying.

Problem is...it's taken me 13 minutes to write this little piece, having had to edit pretty much everything twice over. :insane:

Ze,

My mom had one of these ceramic heads when I lived with her, and I always could swear those eyes were tracking me as I walked through the room. I even had nightmares about it.

On a similar note, my sister and her husband were in my grandparent's house (they are now deceased)...and could swear that a necklace on a rack moved uncontrollably for a few seconds. I get the sense that my grandparents are still there...maybe it's all of my childhood memories coming back to me. I miss 'em.

Now, here's the thing...

I've just got back from a session and am not exactly 100%...don't mix beers and spirits, boys and girls. (tsk)

However, I have one experience of my own that's better classified as weird than frightening, and one experience of my mother's that is truly terrifying.

Problem is...it's taken me 13 minutes to write this little piece, having had to edit pretty much everything twice over. :insane:

Time to list some books. With drunk prices. lol

Now, here's the thing...

I will start pounding drinks so I can decipher it. Do tell :popcorn:

Tipe away, spe ll check be dmaned.

You are if nothing else Nick, honest.

Ze-

OK, so the nice stuff first...

Back in '99, Michele and I bought our first Maine Coon, a red kitten who we christened Joe. Joe was, even by Maine Coon standards, an intelligent cat, always thinking, always involved and always connected. Michele would go to bed of an evening and I'd stay up writing and Joe would settle down between the back of the keyboard and the computer screen and go to sleep, keeping me company into the early hours. He soon was doing everything with me...sleeping, watching TV, reading. We could talk across the breadth of the house...he'd be in the front bedroom and me in the conservatory at the back of the house and we'd hold a proper conversation...lengthy and full of nuance, even if I couldn't understand it!

In January 2005, Michele and I flew over to the US to visit the kids and as usual, we left the cats in the hands of the 'pet nanny', who visits the house once a day to feed them, water them and keep them company for a time.

On the second Monday of our trip, we'd driven up to Newfane, VT, and booked into the Four Columns Inn by early afternoon. I'd had a fairly heavy night the night before and the drive hadn't helped, so I took a nap pretty much as soon as I go there.

After about an hour or so, I woke with something of a start, having had a most vivid dream (the details of which I can still remember clearly to this day), and when asked what was wrong, I told Michele in detail what it was.

The dream was of Michele and I shopping in Southport, a town close to where I grew up, with my mother and father. When the shopping was done, we returned to the car, which we had left in one of the backstreets, intending to return home. For some reason, I got into the back seat with Michele, and my father sat up front to drive. As we were settling in and he turned the engine over, I looked out of the side window and saw Joe sat on the pavement, looking at me. I asked my father to turn the engine off and open the door to let him in, but he couldn't hear me...he started to pull away from the kerb.

As the car started to pull away, Joe stood up and began trotting alongside. I asked my father to stop, but he again didn't respond, and in fact began to speed up. Joe in response started loping along, trying to keep up.

My demands that we stopped became more frantic, but my father sped up and so did Joe...until the distance between cat and car grew and grew. Finally, that distance became too great and Joe gave up chase. I watched through the back window as the cat, with what to this day I insist was an air of resignation, stopped running, sat down on his haunches, and watched me disappear into the distance.

The dream was so lifelike and powerful that I told Michele the whole story...but then pretty much forgot about it a few hours later.

One week later, we returned home, to find a note from the 'pet nanny', asking that we call her immediately. Our other two cats were waiting for us in the house, but Joe was missing...we made the call before even our coats were off.

Whilst we were away, Joe had suffered kidney failure, having been taken ill ten days before on the Friday evening. Unlike most cats, who couldn't be arsed putting up much of a struggle, he battled through the weekend, in the words of the vet 'fightning with whatever he had'.

It was a battle that he couldn't win, however, and finally on Monday night at approximately 9.00, he passed away.

Which, when you factor in the five hour time difference, was pretty much to the moment when I was waking from my dream in Newfane, VT.

I had never before, nor never have since, dreamed about any of our cats...and now I never want to. :(

Now, here's the thing...

How do you know they won't go up? :insane:

Now, here's the thing...

How do you know they won't go up? :insane:

I'll take my chances.

Great stories, even though some do involve loved ones passing.

I've been getting lots of stories at my Weird Encyclopedia site (see sig) (some articles not work safe) , all allegedly true, sent in by visitors. Some of them are really fun to read, some are kind of so-so. If anybody wants to have one of theirs put on the site, just let me know. They're all posted anonymously.

Keep 'em coming!

BTW - never had any unexplained experiences myself. *And I don't want to!*

OK, now for the not-so-nice...

For the last ten years of my mother's working life, she was a house matron in a residential care home. The home was split into four seperate houses, and each house was arranged like an 'H' with a central lounge/admin centre, with four corridors running off from there. Three corridors were fine and dandy...but the north-west one was totally :censored:

Now, my mother is what what you'd describe as 'down to earth'. Look in the dictionary under that phrase and you'll find her photo. She's the sort of woman who thinks electricity is some of elaborate hoax. However, for the whole of the time she worked at the home, incident followed incident, with these coming in waves of maybe two weeks of incessant activity, then lulls. Despite the difficulty in having one agreed, the Catholic church exorcised the building, and the local COE came in twice to bless it.

The long litany of events included, but are not restricted to...

* The corridor doors...swing doors that were never locked...being locked in place, proof against, on one occasion, three nurses putting their shoulders against them. They swung freely again moments later, with nobody else approaching them.

* The corridor occasionally, even in the height of summer, being sub-zero and the nurses' breath coming out in frosty clouds. BTW, we don't know what air-conditioning is in the UK, and this place certainly wasn't fitted with it.

* The patio doors and windows from the residents' rooms being found wide open in the dead of night...even though they were locked and double-checked before 'lights out' and the key left on the matron's belt ring.

* A number of residents pressing their room's panic button, to report the same story...a man had fallen off the roof and dropped past their window.

* A number of residents speaking of receiving a visitor (not booked in at reception and not seen by any of the staff), a middle-aged man with white hair, a limp and a broad smile, who sat on the end of their bed, or in their chair, which he pulled up to their bed. They all spoke of the man saying goodbye with the expression 'I'll be seeing you soon' and every resident who reported the visitor was dead within a short period of time.

* One of those residents who received a 'visit' was found dead in her bed the very next morning, a frozen expression of sheer terror on her face. Not pain...terror, something that my mother says she could never bear to see again.

There is more, but a bit of back-story...

Before the exorcism, the church made their own investigations regarding the site. Before the home was built, it was the site of a school. When the school was built, some 50 years before, a man died during construction. He alledgedly fell to his death from the scaffolding, dying on impact with the ground. Although the coroner determined the death was accidental, persistant rumour had it that he was pushed, the result of a long-running feud with one of the other construction workers.

BTW, I will only pop back in when folks bash me for my stance not to dispute the claims of others. :foryou:

I am not out to bash you for not believing, thats your perogative. But to say with any certainty one way or another is just silly.

:kidaround:

So lets hold hands and have a seance to call forth Steve Rogers spirit to figure out just WTF really happened.

But I am not sitting next to Greggy. :shy:

Ze-