• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

619 Discussion - ***Spoilers***

48 posts in this topic

Hey. Figured I should start a thread talking about Hush and its aftermath before it happens in the non-spoiler thread.

So Riddler is the Hush mastermind and Tommy is the guy in the bandages. I'm confused as to which one is the correct answer for DC's contest. Also, I guess Luthor was involved per Riddlers "enemies in high places" comment.

I also have a strange theory: Jasons body is still missing and I dont buy the Riddler's tumor explanation for the Lazarus Pit having been used. I think Tommy operated on the Riddler and removed the tumor and Riddler is just BSing Bats. I think Jason was placed in the pit and will be back in Lee/Loeb's next Batman arc in 6 months or so. I think DC just wanted to test the waters here and make sure fans wouldnt go berzerk if they brought him back.

Overall, a pretty kick azz story arc, even if the art was the best part.

Pretty much the same opinion as yourself.

The identity of the man in the bandages was just too convenient as the only new character introduced in Hush.

But...

That is offset by the nice twist of the mastermind behind it all. Disagree that the mastermind is BS-ing Bats-- The Lazarus Pit has revitalized him, making him younger, smarter than before. Just a couple of gripes on this point:

- My first read-through did not reveal exactly how the mastermind solved the riddle of Bats' identity. Was this explained?

- On my copy (the gatefold cover), the identity of the mastermind is revealed on the right hand side page, while the build up is on the left hand side page. Surely a pagination goof, since they meant to maintain the mystery through a page turn that winds up not being there! 893frustrated.gif

Loved the "double-crossed by Two-Face" angle. Cheers to Loeb for that twist!

Loved the reason for the Joker enlisting in the plot (the Jason Todd "gag"). But agree that the Jason Todd appearance is a testing of the waters. But now since he's not Hush I kinda wish he'd now stay dead. (you're welcomed, dam60)

They even managed to explain the name "Hush" in the context of the plot!

I do wish they'd done more with the Bruce/Selina resolution. But since this is the inevitable eventual outcome, I suppose it makes sense for Loeb and Lee to get to do it, rather than have a subplot resolved months later by someone else.

All in all, a much-better-than-expected resolution to the story. Well done!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I just picked up and read Batman 619, the finale of Hush, and I was little let down at the resolution. I don't have a problem amping up the Riddler, but the conclusion to the Selina/Bruce relationship was way too short given the 11 previous months. Leaving Jason Todd's body out in the open was a tester, and I think that we will see the return of Jason Todd in some form. I do think it's strange that Tommy Elliot's body is never found, and true to form, I don't believe he's dead. I'm not sure who guessed the riddler... if anybody did in DC's contest, and Loeb sort of stole a page from Geoff Johns's page by amping up a tier B villian in the Riddler.

Although the Riddler told Bats that Elliot was the primary pusher in this, I think it's strange again you don't see Elliot's face in the bandages and you don't see him die. I wonder if the Riddler was even telling the truth about all of that. I guess we'll see when Lee and Loeb return for their second arc. I can guess that Elliot will indeed return.

The art on the story was great, and I thoroughly enjoyed the run, and didn't guess that the riddler was involved in anyway. Of course, there was a real loop thrown by saying that it was someone dead and someone who knew Bats' identity, although clues were provided with the Lazurus pit and actually showing the Riddler alive (cause he was on his way to his deathbed) and younger. Either way, I thought the story was entertaining, but a little anticlimatic.

Loved the reason for the Joker enlisting in the plot (the Jason Todd "gag"). But agree that the Jason Todd appearance is a testing of the waters. But now since he's not Hush I kinda wish he'd now stay dead. (you're welcomed, dam60)

My $$$ is on JT coming back sooner than later . . . all the arrows point that way

Honestly, this series was pretty disappointing and looked more like a Jim Lee sketch book than anything else. The end was really tough - a lot transpired with very little explanantion or motive.

Looking forward to the next arc. If you haven't read the Batman: Deathblow, I would recommend the TPB. Azzarello doesn't disappoint.

DAM

I thought 619 truly sucked. They got a bad case of Stephen King Disease - the "Oh [!@#%^&^]! We've got to end this soon, because nobody will buy a 1200 page book anymore! I know, make it the Riddler!"

Boy, was it stupid. The covers were cool, though.

On a MUCH nicer note, TREMENDOUS art on Punisher this week, and I thought FF was fabulous.

I enjoyed the story, and actually liked that the riddler was the mastermind behind the whole thing. A little convenient? Maybe. Would have liked a little more time devoted to the resolution, instead of 3 pages. But, still a good story.

On my copy (the gatefold cover), the identity of the mastermind is revealed on the right hand side page, while the build up is on the left hand side page. Surely a pagination goof, since they meant to maintain the mystery through a page turn that winds up not being there!

Too true! Luckily, the guys at my shop put a piece of paper between the two and told me not to take it out until I got there, so the "mystery" wasn't ruined for me by bad layout.

- My first read-through did not reveal exactly how the mastermind solved the riddle of Bats' identity. Was this explained?

Only explanations I can come up w/ is that the identity was discovered after the homing device (that Superman destroyed) was surgically implanted into Bats, or that Harold gave up the info???

Chris

I thought 619 truly sucked. They got a bad case of Stephen King Disease - the "Oh [!@#%^&^]! We've got to end this soon, because nobody will buy a 1200 page book anymore! I know, make it the Riddler!"

Boy, was it stupid. The covers were cool, though.

Guess it helps to have had low expectations going in. I was let down by Loeb & Sales' Long Halloween and Dark Victory, so I was kind of expecting Hush to fall apart at the end and/or have a resolution coming completely out of left field (i.e. Hugo Strange or some brand-new character). So while some may be dissapointed in the Riddler's role, I like the idea that a classic Bat-villain now has a new lease on life and must be taken much more seriously than before.

I'm glad this whole Hush thing is over. I found 619 to be quite disappointing and not any big great surprise. The conclusion of the Batman/Catwoman relationship was disappointing, especially given the great fight between Batman and Slam Bradley in Catwoman's book. The Riddler's reasons for all the villian's involvement was amusing, but far from convincing. Especially on Ra's part. He's to smart and savvy to be sucked in like that.

I also wonder why the Riddler, who was in Arkham, was allowed to wear his costume and have possession of a pen/pencil? This is just plain lazy on the part of the creators. He's in a maximum security institution. He should be in prison jammies with no access to sharp pointy objects.

One point that I did like was the transformation of Harvey Dent. I'm looking forward to him becoming Two Face again.

I also wonder why the Riddler, who was in Arkham, was allowed to wear his costume and have possession of a pen/pencil? This is just plain lazy on the part of the creators. He's in a maximum security institution. He should be in prison jammies with no access to sharp pointy objects.

GREAT POINT!!!!!

I was only buying Batman cause of Jim Lee...is this his last issue before the other team jumps on?

Yep, Kevin. The Azzerello/Risso team takes over for a 6-issue arc, then back to Lee. Jim Lee is also going to be working soon on either Action or Superman.

Chris

I was only buying Batman cause of Jim Lee...is this his last issue before the other team jumps on?

Yep, Kevin. The Azzerello/Risso team takes over for a 6-issue arc, then back to Lee. Jim Lee is also going to be working soon on either Action or Superman.

Chris

If anyone actually reads comics, the Azzerello stuff will kick [!@#%^&^]. I am a closet 100 Bullets groupie (I just need the third TPB!) and the Azzerello Deathblow/Batman was well done.

DAM