• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #23 - Can paint be removed?

18 posts in this topic

Last weekend I bought a Showcase #23 that must have been lying on a floor when the room was painted. I remember that book fondly from my youth. This copy was in solid/clean shape (except for the paint) and the price on this was very reasonable, so I bought it.

Here's a scan:

http://members.empowering.com/garyjo/showcase_23.jpg

When I got home with it, I was wondering if there was some way I can safely remove the paint. (I realize it's not worth sending anywhere to be professionally restored.) I am most interested in removing the blob on the lettering. (For some odd reason, the paint on the "villians" purplish outfit seems to have "bled" into the paint. This seems to be the only type of color where this happened.)

I have no interest in experimenting with unsafe chemicals. My biggest fear is doing something and then having it look like a botched job, so I am almost tempted to leave it alone. Anybody know of a simple and safe way to see if the paint can be removed? (I have a feeling I'm asking for a miracle.)

Also, as a hypothetical situation, if I color touched that blob of paint, would it be classified as restoration? I am not doing anything to the actual comic, only changing the color of the paint blob.

Also any idea of how CGC would grade a book like this as it is? (Not that I would ever send it in. Just wondering if they would give it a 1.0 . This just looks prettier than the usual GD's that you see.)

Gary J.

ECFANMAN

Anybody know of a simple and safe way to see if the paint can be removed? (I have a feeling I'm asking for a miracle.)

Can't give you a simple way because I've never tried it, but I can give you a safe way to see if paint can be removed...spill it on books bought from a 25 cents bin, apply a variety of removal techniques until you find one that works, and then repeat the removal at least 5 more times on the cheapie books until you're confident in your skill at getting it off. That's the general way to learn most restorative techniques.

Anybody know of a simple and safe way to see if the paint can be removed? (I have a feeling I'm asking for a miracle.)

Can't give you a simple way because I've never tried it, but I can give you a safe way to see if paint can be removed...spill it on books bought from a 25 cents bin, apply a variety of removal techniques until you find one that works, and then repeat the removal at least 5 more times on the cheapie books until you're confident in your skill at getting it off. That's the general way to learn most restorative techniques.

Most true. But you have to be sure you are starting with the same paint type! Oh, and similar time frame DC cover to practice with.

first determine if the paint is oil based or acrylics I think acrylics dry into a kind of plastic-type and are near impossible to break down again. Thats why artists can rework oils but have to overpaint acrylics once they dry when working on paintingd.

I think a little paint thinner on a rag and rubbing it on the spot can remove it.

stooges.gif

893frustrated.gif

Whenever anyone offers restoration advice that begins with "I think" - duck and cover! It is quote possible that paint thinner may also turn out to be a "certain genres/company's ink eradicator.

I think a little paint thinner on a rag and rubbing it on the spot can remove it.

stooges.gif

893frustrated.gif

Whenever anyone offers restoration advice that begins with "I think" - duck and cover! It is quote possible that paint thinner may also turn out to be a "certain genres/company's ink eradicator.

boo.gif

Someone suggested paint thinner when I bought the book. My immediate reply was I'm not brave enough to try that, as it would have the potential to make things horrible if it didn't work.

I was hoping that there would be a safe way (such as some kind of "scraping" or "chipping" technique) where I could see if anything was going wrong and stop before real damage was done.

I think I have convinced myself to leave it alone.

Thanks for all of the help.

Gary J.

Someone suggested paint thinner when I bought the book.

My first reaction would be to kick them where it counts. My seconmd would to then explain that the evolution of comic book papers and inks over many decades has left us with a vast range of combinations, of which some may yield to certain processes beautifully and others may succumb to the same processess, shrivle up and die!

You be wise to just leave things as they be! thumbsup2.gif

hey pov, dude... i think the three stooges graemlin was meant to convey that the poster knew thinner would be a disaster!

course it would be cool to wipe ALL the ink off a cover and leave it white, or some blurry abstract.

I thought that may be true - but hey - maybe the reader is not as graemlin aware and just really trusting smile.gif or insane.gif.

But hey! At least you know SOMEONE is out here that is gonna set the bad advice straight - even if it means I end up looking stupid. There ain't no jokin' around when it comes to resto advice! sumo.gif

And I'd rather look Pov (aka stupid) than see someone unwittingly try something bad. Paint thinner is BAAAADDDD....mmokay?

There's absolutely no way that you could ever look stupid here Pov.... boo.gif

Er, hang on what about the time you said...or that other time when you... blush.gif

Ok, you could never look stupid when you are giving resto advice, which is always first class. You are the man. 893applaud-thumb.gifgrin.gif

hey pov, dude... i think the three stooges graemlin was meant to convey that the poster knew thinner would be a disaster!

course it would be cool to wipe ALL the ink off a cover and leave it white, or some blurry abstract.

I thought that may be true - but hey - maybe the reader is not as graemlin aware and just really trusting smile.gif or insane.gif.

But hey! At least you know SOMEONE is out here that is gonna set the bad advice straight - even if it means I end up looking stupid. There ain't no jokin' around when it comes to resto advice! sumo.gif

And I'd rather look Pov (aka stupid) than see someone unwittingly try something bad. Paint thinner is BAAAADDDD....mmokay?

Ok,ok, STOP!! Don't do it!! I was just kidding around.Jeeze!, yes it was a joke!

insane.gifstooges.gifinsane.gif

893frustrated.gif

AMEN! I too tire of the multitude of half-assed opinions being offered around here!!! sign-rantpost.gif

So instead of using paint thinner, why not light the paint on fire and let it burn off? That should work a lot better! acclaim.gif

893frustrated.gif

AMEN! I too tire of the multitude of half-assed opinions being offered around here!!! sign-rantpost.gif

So instead of using paint thinner, why not light the paint on fire and let it burn off? That should work a lot better! acclaim.gif

It is better to use a torch combined with a scraper, angled at the proper pitch. Such pitch would provide maximum scrapeage with minimal cover ink impact.

yes - this is a joke

893frustrated.gif

stooges.gif