• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does Top-Notch Comics #2 get NO respect from Overstreet?

71 posts in this topic

Holy Crud. 893whatthe.gif

Shield is like a well oiled machine with this stuff. popcorn.gif

sport_boxing.gif

You gotta know better than to pick a brawl with Shield in his BACK YARD, for cryin' out loud! This is his purview, his bailywick, his raison d'etre, his...his...well, it's his thing, man!

Shield: 5 stars (again) for bringing it and backing it up!

- To be fair, that's not quite a *swastika* on the cover of Amazing-Man #9 ... it's more a "swas," or a "stika," but not a full swastika ... [ducks Shield's overpowering right hook]

- Far as "defining" when WWII began, I don't think that's relevant. From what I've read and seen, there were many comics depicting what we now think of as WWII well before America deigned to join in. Heck, if we're defining WWII as the point when the USA got involved, I'd venture to guess that almost every such "first" listed in the OS guide is wrong.

- That tank Supes is hoisting is a WWI tank. But even if it were a WWII tank, it would need a swastika on the side to be definitively identified as German, correct?

- I think it's fair to say that Timely/Marvel and DC get the lion's share of the credit for many of these "firsts" when in fact they weren't first, they were just bigger/more popular and remained more high profile when Overstreet and his advisors began assembling such data 30-35 years later. No question in my mind that there were many innovations from MLJ and other "secondary" publishers, that have gone unrecognized by the majority of collectors.

More power to Shield for his well-organized assault on this particular set of myths!

Holy Crud. 893whatthe.gif

Shield is like a well oiled machine with this stuff. popcorn.gif

sport_boxing.gif

You gotta know better than to pick a brawl with Shield in his BACK YARD, for cryin' out loud! This is his purview, his bailywick, his raison d'etre, his...his...well, it's his thing, man!

Thanks! Believe me I have a zillion opinions about everything else as well. In this case, I wouldn't have brought it up had I not had what I believed to be irrefutable proof!

Shield: 5 stars (again) for bringing it and backing it up!

- To be fair, that's not quite a *swastika* on the cover of Amazing-Man #9 ... it's more a "swas," or a "stika," but not a full swastika ... [ducks Shield's overpowering right hook]

*Left cross* That sure is a swastika on the officer's belt buckle

*Right jab* The arm band and helmet are definetely indicative of a WWII German soldier

*K.O. in the first* It's irrelevant to the discussion as it's still a February 1940 book, a month after Top-Notch #2.

- Far as "defining" when WWII began, I don't think that's relevant. From what I've read and seen, there were many comics depicting what we now think of as WWII well before America deigned to join in. Heck, if we're defining WWII as the point when the USA got involved, I'd venture to guess that almost every such "first" listed in the OS guide is wrong.

- That tank Supes is hoisting is a WWI tank. But even if it were a WWII tank, it would need a swastika on the side to be definitively identified as German, correct?

Thanks!

- I think it's fair to say that Timely/Marvel and DC get the lion's share of the credit for many of these "firsts" when in fact they weren't first, they were just bigger/more popular and remained more high profile when Overstreet and his advisors began assembling such data 30-35 years later. No question in my mind that there were many innovations from MLJ and other "secondary" publishers, that have gone unrecognized by the majority of collectors.

More power to Shield for his well-organized assault on this particular set of myths!

Thanks again! I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything, just looking for some healthy discussion. Timely started it, and I hopefully finished it.

Interesting. Too bad several of the participants in that thread appear to no longer be active.

Early WW II covers (or covers from the immediate prewar period) often show WW I tanks, planes, uniforms, and other equipment. The artists presumably were using as models readily available photos and drawings, which would have mostly been WW I vintage.