• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is redmelvin27 on Ebay?

37 posts in this topic

A buyer has every right to return a book if something isn't right and or wasn't disclosed. But I believe people make honest mistakes. It's how they handle them that matters.. If there helpful and are apologetic that's a excellent way to handle business. Being hard to contact and unwilling to help isn't. One will lead to a good reputation. The other will soon have you looking for another line of work..

I guess that is one of the problems with not traveling in the GA circles very much. When I hear the Dentist, I automatically think, "Here's a guy that I've heard about alot." What I've heard is that he has some of the highest graded copies of the biggest GA keys. I've also heard that he's not planning on selling any time soon. For some reason that engenders thoughts that this is a private collector concerned with quality who doesn't sell much. A pretty big leap I know, but one that makes some common sense.

I guess the moral is that you need to really know your seller before you put faith in listings on Ebay.

He sells more comics in terms of quantity and $$$$$ per year, and I am only speaking to online sales right now, than some part-dealers (no doubt myself included) and perhaps even some full-time dealers depending on the book. A single transaction, and this would be more for a private sale most likely, could easily reach into 6 figures.

But he is just a private collector, although the IRS might not see it that way. :gossip:(:

I knew that the bigloo was Dave, but I did not know that he was also redmelvin.

I bought a few books from loo last year. The Superman 2 was decsribed as restored, and to be honest I did not fully inspect it to see the resto as I am not good at finding it.

I watched all of the bound books that he was selling with great interest as well.

The impression that I got was that many of the books that he was selling were not his books

I guess that is one of the problems with not traveling in the GA circles very much. When I hear the Dentist, I automatically think, "Here's a guy that I've heard about alot." What I've heard is that he has some of the highest graded copies of the biggest GA keys. I've also heard that he's not planning on selling any time soon. For some reason that engenders thoughts that this is a private collector concerned with quality who doesn't sell much. A pretty big leap I know, but one that makes some common sense.

I guess the moral is that you need to really know your seller before you put faith in listings on Ebay.

A salient post, Transplant.

I presume a lot of folks are simply too starstruck by thoughts of such big books to see the truth. Kinda like blindly worshipping a celebrity or something.

But he is just a private collector, although the IRS might not see it that way.

Mark, you :devil: , how did you know?!?

Hey, maybe Stephen Fishler of Metropolis (another one of our beloved members, and a similar-styled powerbroker in the hobby) would care to join this discussion about his pal?

But he is just a private collector, although the IRS might not see it that way.

Mark, you :devil: , how did you know?!?

I actually totally forgot about that!!! doh!

I was honestly just making a passing point b/c the IRS has had major issues with ebay sellers over the last few years. lol

I actually totally forgot about that!!! doh\! If this isn't specific enough, I give up. Did you forget something to do with Anderson and the IRS. I already know the IRS is looking for power sellers to do better reporting.

I actually totally forgot about that!!! doh\! If this isn't specific enough, I give up. Did you forget something to do with Anderson and the IRS. I already know the IRS is looking for power sellers to do better reporting.

Ah. :acclaim:

I'll let Sacentaur tell you about that one. ;):grin::cool:

To be pro-disclosure, I have not had any problems with Dave, though I recognize others have as described above (and this should be taken into account of course). In fact, I recently purchased $2,500.00 worth of bound Dell file volumes from him, which is just one of several transactions over the last few years.

To be pro-disclosure, I have not had any problems with Dave, though I recognize others have as described above (and this should be taken into account of course). In fact, I recently purchased $2,500.00 worth of bound Dell file volumes from him, which is just one of several transactions over the last few years.
I was watching all of those auctions. Really great books. Went past my price towards the end.

I was watching all of those auctions. Really great books. Went past my price towards the end.

They went cheaper than I expected. I grabbed some of them for as low as 1/3 guide value to about just under guide. In past auctions some of those sets have gone for over guide.

I bought 3 books from him via bigloo auctions...2 had undisclosed resto...

My experience (sadly on and off over the course of 2 decades) is the same - while a 1 out of 3 average is very good in baseball, it's not so good when purchasing comic books is it. :(

I too didn't even think to initially look for "issues", until sacentaur, ciorac and centaurman brought them to my attention...then, when I looked harder, sure enough, there was an "issue" 2 out of 3 times...but, I am guilty of not making an "issue" out of my issues...

rick

I sincerely appreciate your candor rick, especially coming from someone who is amongst the most honest and enthusiastic members of the Board. (thumbs u

"Not making an issue" and just living with it (over and over again) is - for a variety of reasons - widespread throughout the hobby. That's how the Greed Merchants survive. But thanks to the internet and CGC, we are exchanging more information and we are creating a more level playing field.

As far as the Greed Merchants, I have no sympathy for them at all. Long ago they chose the manner in which they were going to do business. Sure they have managed to acquire prestigious collections via such means, but it must be a real person_without_enough_empathy for them to have a legion of skeletons in their closets.

And the door to those closets continues to swing open, even if ever so slowly...