• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open plea to all CGC Forumites - OT Threads
2 2

378 posts in this topic

>> I don't see the harm [of OT posts]

Not harm exactly, but they do waste your time weeding through them.

I find OT posts annoying (and baffling). I think of them as spam. They

clutter up the boards with things I don't care about.

I come here to read/write about comics. That's the whole SPOONing purpose

of these boards. Comics. All sorts of things about COMICS.

If you want to talk about movies/sports/whatever, there are a gazillion

forums all over the web devoted to any specific topic you can think of.

But the PURPOSE for this board's existence is comics. Why can't people stick

to that? Why come to a comic board and bring up baseball or cars?

>> I would love to see a CWC (Comics Water Cooler)

That seems like a great idea. Surely there's a way to set this up without

requiring extra work for the mods.

My $0.02.

gozer

-----------------------

Oh, you look lovely this evening. Have you decreased in mass?

But, if it states OT in the title and it is done ONLY in CG and ONLY sometimes, you can just pass them by and not click on them, correct? Or is it like a car crash on the side of the highway slowing traffic down only because people must slow down to see what has happened? (shrug)

But, if it states OT in the title and it is done ONLY in CG and ONLY sometimes, you can just pass them by and not click on them, correct?

Yes, one can. One can also use burlap sacks cut into convenient sized squares in place of Charmin. One can also slightly drink out of date milk, which will not hurt you and may taste a bit funny but it would save a little money buying fresh to replace it. One can also wash one's face and hands with a mixture of sand and water. Nice exfoliating action as well. There are many things one can do to "make do". It is simply a matter of the necessity of making do.

Now you don't want to make TOO much do because you know you have those burlap squares waiting for you!

Half in jest and half serious.

Edited by povertyrow

"Half in jest and half serious."

Damn, I was hoping for 65/35 lol

OK! 65 serious 35 jest! :foryou:

And remember, my ponytailed gigolo, even you enjoy ocassionally just going out with friends, leaving comic talk behind, and just enjoying a meal, a few drinks, and chatting about various and sundry things. Nes pas?

And remember, my ponytailed gigolo, even you enjoy ocassionally just going out with friends, leaving comic talk behind, and just enjoying a meal, a few drinks, and chatting about various and sundry things. Nes pas?

I'll cut down on my OT's as long as you don't do the

bump all the OT's to the first page again...

that was madness.

:insane:

that was madness.

Madness?

THIS

IS

SPARTA!

that was madness.

That wasn;t me. I believe someone said it was OldGuy. Then again - could it have been me? If it is more than a week ago I have trouble remmebering. But seriously - don;t think it was me.

An idea though!!!! hm

Edited by povertyrow

>> But, if ... it is done ONLY ... sometimes

Well that's where opinions differ. How much is "sometimes?" If it happened

twice a year, or twice a month, ok, no problem.

Right now, on JUST the FIRST page of CG, there are 8 obviously OT threads, and

a few others that are borderline (and that's not counting the 2 threads that are

about OT threads). Is that a lot?

The existence of OT posts encourages others to post more OT posts. If

so-and-so posts about his favorite baseball team, I'll post about my favorite

hockey team. And on and on.

Plus, I don't think the issue is how hard/easy it is for someone to avoid OT posts.

Yes, it's relatively easy to avoid them. But so what? Why should anyone

HAVE to avoid them in the first place?

It's easy to avoid stepping in the dog poop that my inconsiderate neighbor leaves

on the sidewalk in front of my house. Does that mean it's ok for him to do it?

(and boy am I going to get flamed for that analogy)

I don't understand why people post OT stuff in the first place. I think

it's rude. It's hijacking a common area dedicated for one purpose, for your

own purpose. "This is a comic board, but I'm interested in baseball so I'll

post about baseball."

And yes, I'm aware of the irony that I'm contributing to an entire topic that

is somewhat off topic. Oh well.

gozer

---------------------

I'm starving! Mom, can we go Catholic so we can get communion wafers

and booze?

I started playing around with bulletin boards back in 1983 or so and even ran one in like 1985 for a little while. 300 baud and then 1200 baud on my trusty Commodore 64. Started with compuserve I think, but that was lame, so I mostly used the mom 'n pop ones. mostly about exchanging pirated video games and such, but many of those even had mandatory chat room participation before you'd be allowed to download and it wasn't as easy as just posting a smiley face. by the end of 1985 I lost interest in my computer and gained interest in booze/dope/sports and girls.

honestly, i wish i had stayed a little interested in computers other than for word processing and other mundane tasks. would have been nice to get into things when the .com craze was starting, but I had nothing to offer.

Mirrors my first experience :)

Commodore 64 with a 300 baud plug-modem...took ages and nobody minded and I was paying per minute on the phone. Had to take a student job just to pay the $300 monthly phone bills and I was 16 at the time.

You probably downloaded some games my group cracked or some demos I wrote back in 1983-1987 :cloud9:

Call packs. :cloud9:

Cal is going to have a seizure when he sees the administrator taking part in off topic posts in comics general in his post about not having anymore off topic posts :shy:

:popcorn: It's actually now interesting

Hey!! How can this be intersting without my rants??? How???

:(

Someone should start a thread...."Best Single Post Rant on the Boards Ever!" Belladonna's attempted nuking of Nik stands out as a contender. That still boggles the mind when I read it. WOW!

Someone should start a thread...."Best Single Post Rant on the Boards Ever!" Belladonna's attempted nuking of Nik stands out as a contender. That still boggles the mind when I read it. WOW!

I can do what worked in the past:

tell some stupid harmless joke and have the "politically correct" lemmings pile on...

that has ALWAYS worked.

See Tom Leykis and Don Imus.

CAL :insane:

I don't understand why people post OT stuff in the first place. I think

it's rude. It's hijacking a common area dedicated for one purpose, for your

own purpose. "This is a comic board, but I'm interested in baseball so I'll

post about baseball."

Because the boards are more than a disparate group of comic book collectors. For the regulars, it's a group of friends, and those friends have interests beyond comics. When my son was born last May, I sure as heck wasn't going to post about it to a bunch of strangers in the water cooler, but I knew that my friends in Comics General would want to know. If there are horrendous fires in California, it's good to know that our fellow board members are okay, and if they're not, that they could use our help. Rail all you want against OT threads, but they're often the most popular threads in Comics General.