• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking To Identify Important Covers & Stories

62 posts in this topic

I am looking to identify specific books with covers or stories that are either historically important/symbolic or simply completely strange/humorous (i.e., double entendre covers, anything relating to Phantasmo!).

By historically important/symbolic I am not referring to books like Action #1 being the first appearance of Superman, but examples of the first appearance of Nazis in comics, National #19 having a reference to Pearl Harbor being bombed a month before it happened, the first mention of an Atomic Bomb, cover/stories that led to POP or the Senate Hrgs and the creation of the Comic Code, etc. Books that reflect covers and stories that truly represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years.

I have done a lot of this work already but this forum is awash with substantive knowledge and I would be foolish not to take advantage of it. If you can post a picture of the cover, that would be great. If you do not have the cover available and can simply refer me to the title and issue, that is fine as well.

Feel free to suggest anything and everything, but please explain why you are doing so in order for me to consider whether that is what I am looking to catalogue.

As my purpose is not restricted to only the Golden Age, I will be cross-posting this request in the other forum sections so if you have suggestions for other eras, please post them there.

Thanks! (thumbs u

Not exactly sure if this is what you're looking for, but the Sep 28 1947 Spirit section has the first reference of flying saucers in comics. In June of that year there were a rash of sightings in Idaho that made national headlines. Eisner picked up on that and used it in his Spirit story. The Roswelll incident happened in July of '47, so the UFO phenomenon was very much in the public eye at that point in time.

Youve got Bill Barnes, America's Air Ace Comic #7, July '42, right?

Jack

I am looking to identify specific books with covers or stories that are either historically important/symbolic or simply completely strange/humorous (i.e., double entendre covers, anything relating to Phantasmo!).

By historically important/symbolic I am not referring to books like Action #1 being the first appearance of Superman, but examples of the first appearance of Nazis in comics, National #19 having a reference to Pearl Harbor being bombed a month before it happened, the first mention of an Atomic Bomb, cover/stories that led to POP or the Senate Hrgs and the creation of the Comic Code, etc. Books that reflect covers and stories that truly represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years.

I have done a lot of this work already but this forum is awash with substantive knowledge and I would be foolish not to take advantage of it. If you can post a picture of the cover, that would be great. If you do not have the cover available and can simply refer me to the title and issue, that is fine as well.

Feel free to suggest anything and everything, but please explain why you are doing so in order for me to consider whether that is what I am looking to catalogue.

As my purpose is not restricted to only the Golden Age, I will be cross-posting this request in the other forum sections so if you have suggestions for other eras, please post them there.

Thanks! (thumbs u

Not exactly sure if this is what you're looking for, but the Sep 28 1947 Spirit section has the first reference of flying saucers in comics. In June of that year there were a rash of sightings in Idaho that made national headlines. Eisner picked up on that and used it in his Spirit story. The Roswelll incident happened in July of '47, so the UFO phenomenon was very much in the public eye at that point in time.

Perfect. Thanks. :applause:

Do you have a list of the Disney - Will not replicate issues?

WDCS 13 with HDL smoking cigars

Donald Duck in Southern Hospitality

Uncle Scrooge 64 (?) Vietnam reference.

I'm sure there are others.

Jack

Off the top of my head, no. What is the significance? (shrug)

:gossip: Full double-page splash of the atomic bomb dropped on Japan (shrug)

3 years prior? Wow, didn't know that.

Jack

Off the top of my head, no. What is the significance? (shrug)

:gossip: Full double-page splash of the atomic bomb dropped on Japan (shrug)

3 years prior? Wow, didn't know that.

Here's the Bill Barnes thread.

Jack

doh! I posted in that thread. I guess the memory really is the first thing to go. doh!

Does Rangers Comics 14 fit the bill?

It's been awhile since I've seen an OPG, so I don't know if these examples have already been footnoted.

An Opium/Heroin reference.

rangers_comics_1414.jpg

Let's just say that Captain Morgan's actions in this story don't strictly adhere to the Geneva Conventions, and we'll leave it at that.

rangers_comics_1428.jpg

Do you have a list of the Disney - Will not replicate issues?

WDCS 13 with HDL smoking cigars

Donald Duck in Southern Hospitality

Uncle Scrooge 64 (?) Vietnam reference.

I'm sure there are others.

Don't worry about duplication. That is the whole purpose of the thread to make sure I don't miss any valuable references.

Thanks!

Mark