• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How hard is it to get kicked out of NOD?

794 posts in this topic

It's sorta damned if they do, damned if they don't

Please allow me to add that a lot of thought and consideration went into this issue... expelling a Charter Member wasn't a matter we took lightly or enjoyed in the least.

We don't **know** if Steve Meyer sold pressed books without disclosure. But we do know that he steadfastly refused to respond to numerous polite and professional inquiries regarding the matter. He was given one final chance to address the matter, and his response led to the expulsion. Steve was informed the expulsion was coming and he accepted that course of action.

Unfortunately, NOD's only other option was to turn a blind eye to very suspect upgrades that were practically waved in our faces.

If he longer wishes to be a member of NOD, then that of course is his decision. However, to come here and speculate that, "My personal opinion is that we, in the comic collecting community, will discover other stuff that this person has done and will continue to do," just doesn't seem kosher to me.

Nothing personal, of course, but before you call someone's character into question, publicly, it would be nice to have substantial proof.

And yes, I am aware of the instance that precipitated these events.

It may not seem kosher to you, and you have a right to your opinion, as do I. I don't speak for the NOD. What I do know is that I have seen examples of suspected shilling recently (which were brought to light on the boards), of which I have no proof, because it's very difficult to prove shilling. In addition, the NOD defended the former member against similar accusations stemming from a long held grudge from the 2002 time frame. Maybe none of it is true, but sometimes, where there's smoke there's fire. That's all I'm saying.

The former member can huff and puff all he wants, but that doesn't mean the allegations aren't true. In fact, upon reading old threads, I don't see any real denial from him of things that occurred, just a lot of bluster.

I don't care what a person chooses to do or not do, but don't join an organization which espouses disclosure, then renew your membership, all the while ignoring a simple request to explain certain books and why they got bumped up in grade SIGNIFICANTLY and then call it a witch hunt.

In my email directly to this person, I was more direct. :)

Brent

If he longer wishes to be a member of NOD, then that of course is his decision. However, to come here and speculate that, "My personal opinion is that we, in the comic collecting community, will discover other stuff that this person has done and will continue to do," just doesn't seem kosher to me.

Nothing personal, of course, but before you call someone's character into question, publicly, it would be nice to have substantial proof.

It may not seem kosher to you, and you have a right to your opinion, as do I. I don't speak for the NOD. What I do know is that I have seen examples of suspected shilling recently (which were brought to light on the boards), of which I have no proof, because it's very difficult to prove shilling. In addition, the NOD defended the former member against similar accusations stemming from a long held grudge from the 2002 time frame. Maybe none of it is true, but sometimes, where there's smoke there's fire. That's all I'm saying.

The former member can huff and puff all he wants, but that doesn't mean the allegations aren't true. In fact, upon reading old threads, I don't see any real denial from him of things that occurred, just a lot of bluster.

I don't care what a person chooses to do or not do, but don't join an organization which espouses disclosure, then renew your membership, all the while ignoring a simple request to explain certain books and why they got bumped up in grade SIGNIFICANTLY and then call it a witch hunt.

In my email directly to this person, I was more direct. :)

Brent

extremely well-worded and correct!

Great job!

CAL :applause:

Just read this on the NOD web-site...

was expelled for failure to cooperate in an investigation of perceived rule violations regarding disclosure, and repeated failure to properly display NOD logo.

Now I am not sure what the investigation was about, but I can certainly understand

the logo logic. It is very hard to get members to adhere to this strict rule.

The NOD logo must be displayed proudly so that everyone can see that it is a vital organization. Kinda like a policeman carrying a badge.

And there must be a surplus of members in the NOD organization.

All of them had better display that logo from here on out.

Otherwise the NOD officers might cast out another valued collector just to make a point.

I'm sorry, Richard, but on this, you are waaaaaaaaaay out of line.

You would be the first to scream blue murder if a NOD member was involved in something suspicious, and use it as an opportunity to push your own agenda.

However, when NOD police themselves (no old boys network in place here, it appears) and deny you that opportunity, you belittle them and use it as an opportunity to push your own agenda.

It's sorta damned if they do, damned if they don't, with you, isn't it? (shrug)

Nick,

You do make some good points. But let me state for the record that they are only

damned if they do.

I would be the very last person in the world to care if a NOD member were up to no good.

If I knew without a doubt that someone were up to no good, the fact that they were a member of any group (the Elk's Club, The He-Man Women Haters, etc.) would have no influence on whether or not I got involved.

And my only agenda was to point out the absurdity of kicking out a member for not displaying the NOD logo.

was expelled for failure to cooperate in an investigation of perceived rule violations regarding disclosure, and repeated failure to properly display NOD logo.

Now I am not sure what the investigation was about, but I can certainly understand

The NOD logo must be displayed proudly so that everyone can see that it is a vital organization. Kinda like a policeman carrying a badge.

Otherwise the NOD officers might cast out another valued collector just to make a point.

You would be the first to scream blue murder if a NOD member was involved in something suspicious, and use it as an opportunity to push your own agenda.

However, when NOD police themselves (no old boys network in place here, it appears) and deny you that opportunity, you belittle them and use it as an opportunity to push your own agenda.

Nick,

You do make some good points. But let me state for the record that they are only

damned if they do.

I would be the very last person in the world to care if a NOD member were up to no good.

If I knew without a doubt that someone were up to no good, the fact that they were a member of any group (the Elk's Club, The He-Man Women Haters, etc.) would have no influence on whether or not I got involved.

And my only agenda was to point out the absurdity of kicking out a member for not displaying the NOD logo.

Knowing full well that that wasn't the real reason they showed him the door.

But it was the best point to emphasise if you wanted to poke fun.

C'mon...at least be honest. :/

I have to agree with this. To assume that anyone not wanting to be affilliated with NOD is up to unscrupulous behaviour is just ridiculous. I guarantee you there are people within NOD who are breaking the rules, and I guarantee there are people who are not in NOD who are honest.

Nick,

damned if they do.

i don't think it's all that absurd to kick someone out of an organisation dedicated to preemptive disclosure for not being willing to disclose one's membership in said organisation. kind of defeats the point of paying dues, doesn't it?

you can't join an organisation like the NOD and expect to sell books without announcing that you're a member. given the NOD's charter, what would be the point?

I have to agree with this. To assume that anyone not wanting to be affilliated with NOD is up to unscrupulous behaviour is just ridiculous. I guarantee you there are people within NOD who are breaking the rules, and I guarantee there are people who are not in NOD who are honest.

i'm not seeing how you can interpret Brent's comments in the manner you did. i didn't see anywhere where Brent made any statement about anyone other than the ex-member in question

(shrug)

i'm not seeing how you can interpret Brent's comments in the manner you did. i didn't see anywhere where Brent made any statement about anyone other than the ex-member in question

(shrug)

That's because you didn't use the 'Anti-NOD Comment Decoding Device'. (tsk)

Of course, we respect Steve Meyer's privacy

then why did you mention his name at all? Ricky's post went out of it's way to make the member anonymous.

Of course, we respect Steve Meyer's privacy

then why did you mention his name at all? Ricky's post went out of it's way to make the member anonymous.

How silly. Ricky was keeping what anonymous? A name that was listed on a public web site which anyone can see? He was "keeping it anonymous" by drawing attention to the matter?

What is being kept private is the detailed content of the communications.

But you knew that, didn't you?