• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How hard is it to get kicked out of NOD?

794 posts in this topic

"There is no value in an NOD-type organization that promotes disclosure to then hide any negatives that come to light during the course of its operations. "

Was he questioned on negatives that came to light or positives that came to light? If it were negatives, "not disclosing the negatives" is the same as "hiding them".

Don't get me wrong, I understand that he "was expelled for failure to cooperate in an investigation of perceived rule violations regarding disclosure, etc." My point was that it was stated that "There is no value in an NOD-type organization that promotes disclosure to then hide any negatives that come to light during the course of its operations." I find it a condradiction.

Carry on! (thumbs u

You do realize that if we have to work our way through all the possibilites (including temporary unavailability due to transport to Rann via Zeta Beam), we could be here for a while. :hi:

Which one would you choose?

Alanna

47003-792_4_085.jpg

vs.

47004-logo_nod.jpg

NOD?

Both went cheap in 2007. You may wish to consider how to maximize your return.

Jack

But after reading this thread and talking with Zip I understand the situation a little better now. I hope you can also understand how it might have looked to those on the outside.

Ze-

Actually, I think another valid observation to note is how board members must puzzle over the inevitable long knives that get pulled out every time there's even the slightest hint of a perceived opening in NOD's procedures, by one of a small group of vocal detractors. I mean, the criticisms are so obviously about style, not content, and they're poorly framed at that. You wanna' witchhunt? Go back and check out some of the unprovoked and reactionary attacks on NOD.

I belong to NOD as a collector because I believe in it's general principals as a consumer. It's the best and only organization out there that is currently serving in any capacity as a check on some runaway business practices in the hobby. I have a pretty finely tuned BS meter, and there isn't a high end collector or dealer who isn't interested in making a buck or maximizing profits from sales.

Is it perfect? No. Should it have a higher percentage of collectors in it over dealers? Yep.

But I've stuck with them because, even though it's impossible to decipher or know every individuals personal agenda, (and EVERYONE has one!) they serve, imperfect as the organization might seem to some, as that balance I referred to. I think that adds to the health of the hobby. I have other things to spend my membership dollars on, trust me. But I think I couldn't spend them in a better place within the hobby right now.

In this case, as an observer only, (I don't vote in any capacity)....I did observe the situation as it developed, and I felt that it was handled as best as could be. As far as how much to technically reveal about the details, I think there was and is still the hope that Steve Meyer, who I think is a fine guy, would just step up and you guys could get it from the horses mouth. If he chooses not to, eh, what are ya' gonna' do?

But for a group that some will tell you carries no weight, no one pays attention to, and has staked out an unwinnable position, it sure seems to get under some folks skin in a big way.

One good thing to note though, is that almost inevitably, in threads like this started by NOD detractors, NOD ends up with a big platform and an opportunity to clarify any misunderstandings. And usually results in a nice little membership jump too!

Brad

But after reading this thread and talking with Zip I understand the situation a little better now. I hope you can also understand how it might have looked to those on the outside.

Ze-

Actually, I think another valid observation to note is how board members must puzzle over the inevitable long knives that get pulled out every time there's even the slightest hint of a perceived opening in NOD's procedures, by one of a small group of vocal detractors. I mean, the criticisms are so obviously about style, not content, and they're poorly framed at that. You wanna' witchhunt? Go back and check out some of the unprovoked and reactionary attacks on NOD.

I belong to NOD as a collector because I believe in it's general principals as a consumer. It's the best and only organization out there that is currently serving in any capacity as a check on some runaway business practices in the hobby. I have a pretty finely tuned BS meter, and there isn't a high end collector or dealer who isn't interested in making a buck or maximizing profits from sales.

Is it perfect? No. Should it have a higher percentage of collectors in it over dealers? Yep.

But I've stuck with them because, even though it's impossible to decipher or know every individuals personal agenda, (and EVERYONE has one!) they serve, imperfect as the organization might seem to some, as that balance I referred to. I think that adds to the health of the hobby. I have other things to spend my membership dollars on, trust me. But I think I couldn't spend them in a better place within the hobby right now.

In this case, as an observer only, (I don't vote in any capacity)....I did observe the situation as it developed, and I felt that it was handled as best as could be. As far as how much to technically reveal about the details, I think there was and is still the hope that Steve Meyer, who I think is a fine guy, would just step up and you guys could get it from the horses mouth. If he chooses not to, eh, what are ya' gonna' do?

But for a group that some will tell you carries no weight, no one pays attention to, and has staked out an unwinnable position, it sure seems to get under some folks skin in a big way.

One good thing to note though, is that almost inevitably, in threads like this started by NOD detractors, NOD ends up with a big platform and an opportunity to clarify any misunderstandings. And usually results in a nice little membership jump too!

Brad

Can you score some sales credit on the new memberships? hm

I find the short suspension period troubling........

Why? Seriously.

As unlikely as it may be, he could have been out of town, sunning in the tropics or something.

That may be but all PM's were at least read with no response. At best an "I no longer wish to be a member reply" would have been sufficient. I regards to Steve, I hope nothing has happened that would not allow him to reply, but given the evidence we have it appears he chooses not to.

I'm not sure why I'm jumping into this thread, since it seems to have started on shaky grounds in the first place , but obviously nod has the absolute right to discipline it's members and also any group like nod has to be a lot better at policing itself than other groups, simply because of the standards they set forth.

My one question is if the member in question were able to come up with a good reason for not answering his emails, would he be reinstated.

That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger... hm

So NOD is like the Absorbing Man of the hobby?

I think Matt Nelson currently holds that title. :baiting:

I think Matt Nelson currently holds that title. :baiting:

Isn't that the truth! lol

My one question is if the member in question were able to come up with a good reason for not answering his emails, would he be reinstated?

I've stated this a few times in this thread, but it doesn't seem to be getting through... :frustrated:

Steve Meyer WAS answering his emails, he WAS replying, but he WAS NOT responding to the direct questions regarding the matter at hand. Also, he DID acknowledge the final email prior to his expulsion. Steve was given an opportunity to address the matter, and he choose expulsion over answering the Committee's questions.

My one question is if the member in question were able to come up with a good reason for not answering his emails, would he be reinstated?

I've stated this a few times in this thread, but it doesn't seem to be getting through... :frustrated:

Steve Meyer WAS answering his emails, he WAS replying, but he WAS NOT responding to the direct questions regarding the matter at hand. Also, he DID acknowledge the final email prior to his expulsion. Steve was given an opportunity to address the matter, and he choose expulsion over answering the Committee's questions.

Quoting you in case some have you on ignore.

This may be a simplification but bear with me. If NOD's purpose is to encourage disclosure and assist potential buyers with information concerning undisclosed changes, where does this action fit in? If NOD members suspect non-disclosed changes to a book but don't publicly disclose that suspicion, who will know about the changes? NOD members only? If I recall the web page has examples of undisclosed alterations to books. Why not give the skinny here or somewhere as to what raised the suspicion of NOD members with regard to this fellow kicked out?

Hasn't NOD kind of assumed a public role of making disclosure so that otherwise uninformed buyers will be informed?

This may be a simplification but bear with me. If NOD's purpose is to encourage disclosure and assist potential buyers with information concerning undisclosed changes, where does this action fit in? If NOD members suspect non-disclosed changes to a book but don't publicly disclose that suspicion, who will know about the changes? NOD members only? If I recall the web page has examples of undisclosed alterations to books. Why not give the skinny here or somewhere as to what raised the suspicion of NOD members with regard to this fellow kicked out?

Hasn't NOD kind of assumed a public role of making disclosure so that otherwise uninformed buyers will be informed?

I would prefer that NOD not create suspicion about books without proof that manipulation has occurred. It's not fair to the current owners of those books.