• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Bronze actually worth reading...

22 posts in this topic

This is of course prompted by the discussion in Greggy's thread on DC cover art. Yeah, Wonder Woman 199 is a good example of a book not really worth opening up its great cover (Jeff Jones in this case). And come to think about it, Batman 227 fits as well (See the Dark Knight break down and cry...boo hoo) But remember Sturgeon's Law that 90% of everything is crud! There really are some DC Bronze Age worth not only opening up, but reading the story, not just looking at the art. We've done lots of Best of the Bronze Age lists here, but not focused on the scripting aspect yet. So here's a list-- I'm fixated on pre-1975 books, but there are late '70s examples as well (the Englehart/Rogers issues of Detective come to mind).

1- Manhunter-- Hey, a DC Comic liked even by Joe Collector!

2- GL/GA, as mentioned in the other thread.

3- The Shadow scripted by Denny O'Neil

4- Swamp Thing first series (Wein & Wrightson)

5- Original Ras al Ghul stories in Batman (Denny O'Neil again)

6- New Gods #7 ("The Pact") and Mr. Miracle #9 ("Himon")-- Lots of people hate Kirby's 4th World, but you ought to at least give these 2 a look.

7- Phantom Stranger written by Len Wein (#14 or so up to #25)

8- Detective 439 ("Night of the Stalker" by Steve Englehart)

9- Superman 247 ("Must There Be a Superman?" by Elliot Maggin)

10- JLA 107-108 (JLA/JSA/Freedom Fighters on the original "Earth-X")

...more later...

i agree with your list, although i have not read any 4th world books, that supes or those JLA's.

i do think house of mystery #178-207 hold up really well and my FAVORITE DC's of the era without a doubt.... the Weird Western Jonah hex run. Dammmm fine reading! Incredible art! totally underated!

In my opinion, there are only four runs/sets of DC Bronze that I could recommend for reading purposes. Buy any others for the cover art.

To edit the previous list:

1 - Manhunter-- Detective Comics Run

2 - Spectre--Adventure Comics Run

3 - GL/GA O'Neil/Adams.

4 - JLA 107-108 (JLA/JSA/Freedom Fighters on the original "Earth-X")

My rambling list.......

Swamp Thing is really some GREAT stuff.

There are MANY good DC Batman stories too numerous to name.

Weird Western has a few good stories,

HOM/HOS has some really good stuff mixed with the bad.

Tales of the Unexpected has a few good stories,

Adams Phantom Stranger's should only be picked up for cover art...

but gets better around the upper teens.

GA/GL great stuff.

Spectre stuff is good.

Superman for the most part sucks with few good stories.

WW not so good.

C of the Unknown 74 is good.

Ghosts,Weird War, Weird Mystery seem like a blur don't remember anything good.

If I had to name the 3 best I'd say Wrightsons Swamp Thing some Batman's, and GA/GL. Oh try reading your Batman 237's

Tasty reading DC Bronze:

Detective 437-443 Manhunter stories

Detective 439

Batman 237, 251, 271-275 (the "Underworld Olympics" story), 300

All-Star Comics 58-73

Warlord 1-16

DC Comics Presents 25-29

Teen Titans 1-12

Time Warp 1-5

Detective 468-480 (especially 471-476)

Batman Spectacular

Some more picks--

original Teen Titans from #25-30: this was a good early-70s period piece, with issues of pacifism vs. activism (Hawk & Dove guest-starred).

Aquaman 50-56: Steve Skeates' scripting becomes more & more experimental.

Sword of Sorcery: adaptations of Fritz Leiber's Fahrd & Grey Mouser: Yeah, it was DC's attempted Conan knock-off, but well done, I thought.

Batman issues of note: Denny O'Neil's Shadow crossovers in 253,259. Len Wein's Werewolf story in 255. O'Neil Christmas stories in 239, 247. Colonel Sulfur stories in 241, 248. Other Adams art issues have been noted.

Each of Archie Goodwin's Detective Comics is a gem, particularly his Batman stories in 439 (Monster Stalks Wayne Manor), 441 (Judgement Day, the Chaykin story), 442 (the Toth story) and 443 (the Manhunter crossover).

Len Wein's JLA issues following the Earth X Freedom Fighters story were also good: 109 (Eclipso) 110 (The Key) 111 (Injustice Gang) 112 (Amazo) 113 (the only JLA/JSA single-issue story) 114 (lots of guest stars, including the return of Snapper Carr).

And I also liked the Legion during the Dave Cockrum and early Mike Grell period, especially the Jim Shooter scripted issues.

Len Wein's JLA issues following the Earth X Freedom Fighters story were also good: 109 (Eclipso) 110 (The Key) 111 (Injustice Gang) 112 (Amazo) 113 (the only JLA/JSA single-issue story) 114 (lots of guest stars, including the return of Snapper Carr).

I'd forgotten those were Wein.

110 was my first comic purchase ever. Also the first to suffer the indignities of being taped as a crude restoration attempt. Still have it and read it about once a year or so thumbsup2.gif.

113 was another great issue!

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

110 was my first comic purchase ever. Also the first to suffer the indignities of being taped as a crude restoration attempt. Still have it and read it about once a year or so
Were you traumatized by seeing Santa in his sorry state on the cover as a young lad? frown.gif

110 was my first comic purchase ever. Also the first to suffer the indignities of being taped as a crude restoration attempt. Still have it and read it about once a year or so
Were you traumatized by seeing Santa in his sorry state on the cover as a young lad? frown.gif

Interestingly enough, that's why I picked it... insane.gif

Well, that, and because it had "TV's SuperFriends!".

My other choices were, what... Some guy in a skull shirt taking aim at Spider-Man? This orange rocky creature putting his fist through this slimy creature? A guy named Captain America on the run from the law?

And besides, it was a big comic... much bigger than the rest AND my aunt was paying for it! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Mmmmm...is JLA 107 and 108 really that good? I haven't read that in years even though I've bought a few due to the X-over. thumbsup2.gif

I think it's good. Maybe not Alan Moore / Neil Gaiman good, but certainly Mark Waid / Kurt Busiek / Peter David good. wink.gif

Mmmm...Spidey 129....Marvel Two in One 1.....and Cap 171? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pretty sure. Then there was Swamp Thing, but that was too scary for this tender 8 year-old (who'd rather see Santa gunned down). I remember war comics (probably Star-Spangled), a few more horror comics, an FF (I think 143), an Avengers, maybe a Flash.

But, I had zero (other than Spidey) knowledge of Marvel at that time.

And the JLoA was a BIG comic.

Did I mention that already? smirk.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Yeah...I always enjoyed the 100 page giants even though I don't usually read the repints in the back! shocked.gif That's why I a few hundred copies of them! foreheadslap.gif

Actually, the older I get, the more I appreciate the reprints, too. Couldn't stand them as a kid. Still not my favorite, but they definitely are worth reading.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan