• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I being shilled?!?

14 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting one. I bid on this book today, and a few hours later, a number of bids by a zero feedback user bumped up my bid considerably.

Of course, the guy has NEVER bid on anything else on ebay, and his account was created the day after the auction started. Hmm....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, am I being shilled or not?

JTMoFo:

It looks as though you made a significant "top-all" type bid in a concerted effort to win the item, that would also best any last second snipers.

You must really want the book but you have a zero-feedback bidder that seems to be pushing up your bid for no other reason other than that. I'm in total agreement with what appears to be happening (punishment or shil-bidding).

I would first email the seller and tell him that you are withdrawing your bid because of the present situation and see if he would care to eliminate the zero bidder under these circumstances. If not, I would cancel my bid, even though under the 24 hour marker, due to these circumstances.

Chances are that the zero feedback bidder will renege on his winning bid and the book will offered again.

Vigilante Dachshund the says that this is NOT a shill account. Obviously a thrill account to "run" up the auction price. This bidder has never bid before and didn't even bid close to FMV on this thing. If I was shill bidding, I would want atleast close to FMV and would have placed a higher bid just to make sure! 27_laughing.gif

1 9.4 $545.00 Jun-02

1 9.4 $609.00 Jul-02

1 9.4 $725.13 Sep-02

1 9.4 $699.99 Jan-03

1 9.4 $616.51 Sep-03 Scared off 27_laughing.gif