• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just cuz it's dead...what is up with Iron Man #9 and #76?

8 posts in this topic

Both share virtually the same cover...is # 76 some kind of reprint or something?

Yes, the DDD (Dreaded Deadline Doom) caused the issue to be reprinted. That was one of my first Iron Man comics, and I remember being quite confused by this DDD thing. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sort of like that Avengers issue (130-something) where they reprinted Amazing Adventures No. 12...

If I remember right, there were 3 reprint issues in the Avengers in just over a year.#136 reprinted AA12, there was an interuption of the Serpent crown/Squadron Supreme and then they screwed up the 150th anniversary issue.

Has anyone ever figured out if these were real deadline problems or if Mr. Lee was just trying to turn more profits in a down market.

They always had DDD problems, but some of those Avengers (and other) issues were not reprints, but stories they had on the shelf and used as filler. That Assassin arc in Avengers 145-146 was like that.

And along the same lines, the absolute worst-timed one was X-Men 110. We had just came off 2 superb issues by Byrne, and then bingo, we've got some lame-o villain and some of the worst art I'd ever seen (did DeZuniga ink it?).

That almost put me off X-Men but luckily Byrne was back with a killer issue with #111. If he had been gone for 2 issues, I might not have picked up another one.

In retrospect, I am beginning to think those DDD were nothing but an attempt to corral an extra issues profit from an unsuspecting audiance.

BTW-it is quite interesting the difference between the covers of IM9 and the reprint cover. Subtle but different.

Just to push my point a bit. It's been many years so I might be forgetting but I don't remember them ever having the DDD on more than one book in a given week. If they were true acts of fate,you would think at least a few times that this would have happened. or do you think I am reading too much into it?