• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying from Milehighcomics

33 posts in this topic

That's an interesting point - Is milehighcomics the Wal Mart of back-issue comics...

Good selection over a broad range of items, quality is not the best but is acceptable...

Good employer at the site, but "trickledown" limits mom-n-pop local shops.

One difference - Wal Mart sells commodities. Comics aren't exactly commodities, but maybe lower-grade books are plentiful enough that they can be priced as commodities.

That's an interesting point - Is milehighcomics the Wal Mart of back-issue comics...

Good selection over a broad range of items, quality is not the best but is acceptable...

One difference - Wal Mart sells commodities. Comics aren't exactly commodities, but maybe lower-grade books are plentiful enough that they can be priced as commodities.

As I'm sure you know, they use file photos in their eBay ads & they have just about every book since 1970 from major publishers virtually in-stock at anytime. This con & pro seems to be a wash for their market. A market interested in reading rather than page quality.

Instead of "big box" we could call them the eBay term-of-art: "deep weller".

I appreciate your thoughts. My comment had currents in mind. I have locals that have been buying their currents from MH for many, many years and won't patronize their LCS due to brand loyalty: "Hey, they were good to me while I was in Iraq."

How can the LCS compete with that? (shrug)

Sounds like an appropriate comparison - "MH is the Walmart for back issue comic books."

I will pass on the VF Subby they have for sale. And post it as a "Want to Buy"

Thanks for the feadback and opinions guys.

(thumbs u

A picture sometimes is worth more then words.

A forumites VF/NM

hom231037.jpg

Mile Highs NM

hom231285.jpg

Nuff said meh

Who's the overgrading forumite?

1) I think almost all the comics that make up MH's 8 or 10 million comics are commodities. Even in HG.

2) The problem with the Wal-Mart analogy is that Wal-Mart is about low-price. MH often has the highest price anywhere. The true Wal-Mart currently is probably Lone Star (vintage comics are priced second only to MH but you can get basically any Web of Spider-Man at $1).

3) The new Wal-Mart is Torpedo Comics, which finally launched. Seems to me that just about every comic from the last 27 years is going to be 99 cents on there.

Hey wait a minute Nik. The MH graded NM looks worse than the forumite one.

Looks like someone forgot to eat his magic mushrooms before grading

That was Nik's point, dontcha think? :makepoint:

That was a joke, dontcha think? You missed the third sentence from my original post :makepoint:lol

I'm selling a large collection of stuff currently. Last night I had to grade and scan a run of Weird Western Tales. The owner had basically filled almost the whole run from Mile High and they all came in the MH bags with grades stated on the front.

Here's the result of the comparible grades...my grades come first, MH's second...

#30 FN- FI

#31 FN/VF VF

#32 VF+ NM

#34 FN+ VF

#37 VG/FN FI

#39 VF+ NM/M

#40 FN- FI

#41 FN/VF VF

#43 FN NM

#44 VF NM

#46 VF NM/M

#47 VF NM

#52 VF NM/M

#53 VF NM

#54 VF+ VF :o

#55 VF/NM NM

#56 VF NM

#57 FN/VF NM/M :(

#58 VF NM

#59 VF NM

#60 VF VF

#61 VF/NM NM

#62 VF NM

#63 VF/NM NM/M

#64 VF/NM NM/M

#65 FN+ VF

#66 NM NM

#67 VF NM

#68 FN/VF NM :(

#69 VF+ NM

Basically, a pattern of consistant over-grading that, IMHO, is quite deliberate. (thumbs u

Yup, I've had the same results. I ordered about 30 modern Hulks ranging from Mile High grades of NM to VF. Almost across the board they were all overgraded by at least one grade. Nearly all of the NMs were 9.0 - 8.5. The VFs were all 7.5 - 6.0.

However, on mid-grade Bronze I have been pleasantly surprised on many occasions. Oftentimes their FN were really VFs and some VFs were closer to NM-. In one of my orders I bought 2 Spider-Womans #1s NM for $2 each. Both came back 9.6 from CGC.