• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HISTORICAL COMIC BOOK TIMELINE

20 posts in this topic

Not sure this has even been done before. Has there even been any kind of historical timeline for comics. Something that shows all the important events in comic book history. Not sure were to start. Probably before the 1st Superman comic. But I don't know how much info is available on pre-super hero books. I'm finding most of the info from old OS guides and some from old articles. Feel free to correct and add to the time line.

I figure it would go something like this...

HISTORICAL COMIC BOOK TIMELINE

1. Early 1929 The Funnies #1, very first original material newsstand comic book.

2. 1933 Funnies On Parade, 1st slick cover comic.

3. Mar. 1937 Detective Cimics #1, series starts.

4. Dec. 1937 Feature Funnies #3, 1st costumed hero, the Clock.

5. Jun. 1938 Action Comics #1, Origin &1st app. Superman by Siegel & Shuster.

6 Apr. 1939 Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, 1st app. Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett.

7. May 1939 Detective Comivs #27, 1st app. Batman by Bob Kane & Bill Finger.

8. May 1939 Wonder Comics #1, Will Eisner's Wonder Man, a copy of Superman; lawsuit.

9. Summer 1939 Superman #1, series starts.

9. Oct. 1939 Marvel Comics #1, 1st app of Human Torch by Carl Burgos. 1st Sub-Mariner.

10. Nov 1939 Detective Comics #33, 1st time origin of Batman is told.

11. Dec. 1939 Silver Streak #1, 1st Claw by Cole.

12. Summer 1940 All-Star Comics #1, Origin Flash by E. E. Hubbard

12. Spring 1940 Batman #1, series starts.

13. Feb. 1940 Whiz Comics #1, 1st app. Captain Marvel; lawsuit.

14. Winter 1940 All-Star Comics #3, Origin & 1st app. JSA.

15. Dec/Jan. 1941 All-Star Comics #8, Origin & 1st app. Wonder Woman

Back in '05 Metropolis had a visual timeline of historical books on the back of it's sales catalog. It went all the way up to X-Men GS1. I held on to it because of the cool-factor.

Should've been a wall poster size imho. :cloud9: Anyway, here are the first three rows of it, enlarged and split in half (making 6 rows so it's not too wide).

Timeline.jpg

There's enough room with the address label area to finish out that bottom timeline too. (thumbs u

Skootch the GS1 over to the left, then continue on with Swamp Thing 20, Batman: DK Returns, maybe up through Harbinger 1 or Gaiman's Sandman 1.

...drop in a few more books, and make a humongous poster. :wishluck:

Poster, please, Vince, if you're listening..... :cloud9:

:juggle: We have a Poster yet? (shrug):D

In the meantime I was wondering... what comics would finish out that bottom timeline? What major historical book comes after X-Men GS1?

If the Timeline went from 1897 thru 1997 it would be cool to view a full 100 years of comic book history. Twelve open slots (for 14 across). hm

So, what were the most historically significant dozen books between '76 and '97? Or even up through 2000?

(Oh, and if any of you printing-gurus recognize the exact font used on the dates, that would be helpful. :) )

TimelineFULL.jpg

How can sub-mariner 1st appear in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly and Marvel Comics #1?

I'm new into GA so I wanted to know.

There were very few of them, I've never seen one (not that ...that means anything;) but the history is here...It was not a regular issue. Motion Picture Funnies

After GSXM1?

Here are some candidates.

Cerebus #1

World of Krypton #1 (first mini series)

Dazzler #1 (first DM exclusive book)

Star Wars #1

Daredevil #158 (first Frank Miller on Daredevil)

Uncanny X-Men #137 (Death of Jean Grey)

Secret Wars #1

RAW #1

Crisis of the Infinite Earths #1 (or #8)

Batman #428 (Death of Robin)

Swamp Thing (vol. 2) #21 (Alan Moore, "The Anatomy Lesson")

Dark Knight Returns #1

Watchmen #1

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21 (Spider-Man Marriage)

Sandman #1

Spider-Man #1

Spawn #1

Superman #75

After GSXM1?

Here are some candidates....

Great list. (thumbs u All of those are strong.

Harder to choose than I thought. hm:pullhair: I'll have to look up the cover date for Miracleman #15 too. It strikes me as historically significant and probably should be in there, maybe moreso than #1.

Anyway, so far...

BottomRow1.jpg

Great addition to the cover timeline poster. I like how you done it. Matches perfectly.

Thanks all for contributing. :hi:

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'd like to add something that would have to do with the Onslaught stuff that went on in Marvel comics, that ended a lot of the first volumes, since it pracitly changed everything about Marvel comics and really was a disappointment for a lot of old comic readers. But which comic would reprecent this? FF#416? Or one of the Heroes Reborn books? Or maybe Ultimate Spider-Man #1?