• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Collection, Please advise

23 posts in this topic

Just came across a typical large Marvel Bronze collection.

About 1000 books

20 cent to 30 cent covers

No Spidey, no X-men

Absolutely No Keys and no variants.

F to F/VF average grade.

Titles included: FF Avengers, Defenders, Submariner, Astonishing Tales, Thor, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Amazing Adventure, Daredevil, ManThing, Team Up, 2 in 1

and the other usual suspects, Omega, Human Fly, Ms Marvel, Peter Parker, Howard the Duck, Nova, Conan, Kull, you get the idea.

All bagged in old bags and no boards.

An original owner collection that had already been picked through. But plenty of runs and really pretty decent books just not quite NM type. Light soft corners and a couple spine lines were typical of grade with a few books lower grade from a crease or two.

I offered $1000 and he wanted $1500 so no agreement. Taking advice on what the right amount would have been. I can always go back and buy them.

I don't know guys, fine condition on a lot of those books is $6 guide. Below $1 a book and you're offering below 15% guide. Depending on the titles, $900 to $1200 seems like a legit offer. Depends on how much work one wants to put in also. Complete runs are a bonus.

True...but impossible to say unless we get a more complete rundown on the issues available. 20/25 centers may get you higher prices depending on the title but most of these sound as if they very well could be $1 boxers since they have already been cherrypicked...

Jim

Thanks all. None of the runs were complete except for the smaller ones like Omega and Nova etc. There were some minor keys but they usually fell into the softer Fine range instead of the VF. But it just kept getting worse for every minor key I'd see, then to see the Byrne/Perez run of Avengers missing and the Miller run of Daredevil gone. Plus Daredevil 124-130, 133-147 it just got old box after box. Still nice to see lots of random picture frame books in high fine such as Submariner and Marvel Premiere. Just not enough of that.

Ed

I agree. Seems kind of weird though that these books aren't even worth $1 a piece as a lot. And I thought Bronze was hot. Gotta be high 9's I suppose.

Doesn't help that I still have a couple hundred of these same books that I need to sell as well.

Ed

I don't know guys, fine condition on a lot of those books is $6 guide. Below $1 a book and you're offering below 15% guide. Depending on the titles, $900 to $1200 seems like a legit offer. Depends on how much work one wants to put in also. Complete runs are a bonus.

The problem with the F- to F+ range of grades is that the HG collectors will pass, and the people building reader runs will find cheaper copies. Mid-grade is the toughest range to sell at guide. It'll be extremely tough to get even $3-4 for these, despite the guide price. Factor in the time to re-bag/board (if needed) and sell, and decide if it's worth it.

50-75 cents each is about right. Even though some of these books might guide for $5+ you can't sell them for that unless you've got a store and a lot of time. You could probably invest a little money in new bags and boards, get a table at a show, throw a $2 each sign up and move a bunch of them with little or no effort.

$1000 seemed very very fair, probably too fair, particularly with stuff like Nova, HTD, Kull, etc. in there. Those tend to wipe out whatever extra you're getting from the 20 cent Avengers and so on. I guess it would also depend on how many F/VF vs. VF/NM you have in there, which titles, etc. Some of those 20 cent Marvels are $5-$15 ebay books even in mid-grade, if they scan well, but the drek titles aren't $1 books, unfortunately.

Funny how when I first started going through the collection I was real excited as the books seemed very nice and it was a good box with Marvel Premieres 4-60 with 15 missing and only a few others. Then Marvel Spotlight 13-40 including issue 32 but a few others missing. But on close inspection they weren't the NM or even VFNM I first thought and hoped for.

He had a few 10 cent Superman in Good and some Romance 10 centers I thought were interesting. But with every issue we looked up the guide price and he wanted about 50-60% and I just decided to walk. Nothing he did that was wrong or anything, it was fair for both of us, but just couldn't pull the trigger.

Pass on them even at $500 unless you can flip them as a lot in one pop with a deal to a 3rd party already lined-up.

Otherwise, you'll spend $500 on books that might as well be dollar books b/c you'll never get guide for them at shows and/or eBay. Not to mention your time & overhead. The value in these is as a lot to a collector who wants them all for whatever reason (eg to read, to fill holes, etc.).

If they had the keys you could sell them to re-coup your $500 plus make another bill or two, and use the rest to bulk-up your bargain bins...

Good luck!

If he does come back then it is time to GOUGE him. :devil: Start at $350 for the lot and argue that he is still making a profit over his original purchase price + the enjoyment of rereading the books over the years.

Are there any LCS's that are willing to consign the for you? I am selling all of the books that I don't want through a smaller local dealer. I sell enough of the low grade/semi-key books that I have multiples of through him to make a reasonable profit on bulk purchases after commission. Then I have the high grade/key books for my personal collection or to flip for a large profit.

I believe he has already gone to dealers, thus the cherry pickings. He'd be able to do that himself, I'm sure. Thanks for the advice gentlemen, its so easy to see 9.0+ in books that simply aren't.

Ed

I agree. Seems kind of weird though that these books aren't even worth $1 a piece as a lot. And I thought Bronze was hot. Gotta be high 9's I suppose.

Doesn't help that I still have a couple hundred of these same books that I need to sell as well.

Ed

Take your 30/35 cent variant list with you if you go back just in case. Of course depends where you live, but enough of those can make it worthwhile. I would have offered like $500 knowing how much work would have been needed to recoup your cash out of it. Go back and convince the owner that in that shape they wont sell well its not like your are lying. Good luck. Some Bronze stuff that had lower print runs is good an any shape, but the common super hero stuff is just plain common....