• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.1

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

288 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

120 posts in this topic

I like Maneeley, especially his pre-code horror work, but not really as a silver age artist.

Joe Maneely died in 1958. so not much SA work there, and a reason i will vote him off in a future round. he was 32 when he died, and i really think had he not passed away, he would be recognised as a true giant by the hobby

Here's Don Heck when he's good btw - He did plenty of other good work for Media -

Heck's "good" looks pretty darn mediocre to me. (shrug)

Possibly but since he won't last past the first round, we needed to give him some exposure before he is history ...

Now for some Tuska -

47405-Tuska-GloryForbes.jpg.e43132a69b7c98d303bf78d9c5407d1f.jpg

47406-Tuska-Crime.jpg.444ea1164b4437e3976edef5401e223f.jpg

47407-Tuska-MenMag.jpg.48d7d5c61daaa689f0c7ea92d5b41245.jpg

47408-Tuska-WeirdMysteries.jpg.63242385c6b19ae0bcc4256c0c32f5f5.jpg

47409-Tuska-Creepy.jpg.9c016a3d1c013ba7eede09750162f5d5.jpg

The rules for this one will be simple so there won't be any ambiguity. The point of this Survivor Series is to crown a favorite SA Artist. This isn't about who's the "best" or "greatest", but who is your favorite from amongst the list. ....

What happened to Ramona Fradon and Russ Manning? Not enough popular support?

Maybe they would have only lasted a couple of rounds anyway.

More samples, pro and con!

Jack

Yeah, that Manning guy sure is an egg-sucking dog isn't he? It's a good thing his so called "art" failed to pollute the work of others.

Just look at this example from Magnus Robot Fighter 15...Pfft, lay off the windowpane hippie, and take your garbage elsewhere.

(For those who didn't get the sarcasm: Russ Manning is my All-Time Favorite comic artist.)

magnus_1501a.jpg

magnus_1502a.jpg

magnus_1503a.jpg

Very nice samples! I would have kept Manning on for at least few rounds -- there are plenty of weaker artists on the list.

I don't think anyone remembered to nominate Jesse Marsh! Would he have survived a while?

Jack

What happened to Ramona Fradon and Russ Manning? Not enough popular support?

Yeah, that Manning guy sure is an egg-sucking dog isn't he? It's a good thing his so called "art" failed to pollute the work of others.

Just look at this example from Magnus Robot Fighter 15...Pfft, lay off the windowpane hippie, and take your garbage elsewhere.

(For those who didn't get the sarcasm: Russ Manning is my All-Time Favorite comic artist.)

magnus_1501a.jpg

magnus_1502a.jpg

magnus_1503a.jpg

"I don't think anyone remembered to nominate Jesse Marsh! Would he have survived a while?"

I doubt he would have survived more than a couple of rounds.

His work isn't flashy enough to garner alot of attention.

However, his clean - crisp style was very effective on Dell Tarzans. :cloud9:

I'm drawing a blank on his other work. What else did he do?

And back on voting for Tuska. His 50s work was nice. But for this Marvel 60s Silver Age Zombie, he killed a few titles that I collected. hm

Kind of same for Ayers and Heck. Their non-superhero stuff is very nice but some of the later Silver Age stuff is lacking the extra "umph" of the other guys. And sometimes you'll be remembered more for what you did last, than the early stuff.

"I don't think anyone remembered to nominate Jesse Marsh! Would he have survived a while?"

I doubt he would have survived more than a couple of rounds.

His work isn't flashy enough to garner alot of attention.

However, his clean - crisp style was very effective on Dell Tarzans. :cloud9:

I'm drawing a blank on his other work. What else did he do?

Offhand, lots of Dell (Four Color western, jungle, other Burroughs like John Carter, and nonfiction), later Tarzan-like and spinoff titles (Korak).

No superheroes that I know about. He probably could fave done an interesting version of pre-costume Dr Solar.

I'm not a big jungle-book fan, but I like his clean style.

Jack

Sorry selegue and blutobc, I sold off the few Marsh Tarzan's I had years ago, so no help with samples there.

Good :sumo: We don't want to see any more Marsh artwork than we have to. :baiting:

Love the Wildey stuff btw. (thumbs u Wish he'd gone a little lighter on the cross-hatching at times though :sick:

Sekowsky and Andru - Feh!

I hated Heck as a teenage Marvel Zombie in the early 70s, but appreciate him now - though I would agree that he and Tuska did their best work before the SA. Next round I'll probably start voting off artists who don't belong on the list due to minimal output ( Frazetta especially - the Shining Knight and painted covers for Warren aren't enough to consider him a SA comic artist).

While one could debate putting the underground artists on a SA list, I don't get the hate for Crumb so far in the voting - he would rank #1 on my list of greatest comic book artists of all time. I don't expect everyone to rank him that highly - but anyone who doesn't think the man is a brilliant artist needs to pull their head out a superhero book now and then.

Sorry selegue and blutobc, I sold off the few Marsh Tarzan's I had years ago, so no help with samples there. I did however keep the issues drawn by another under-appreciated Silver-Age Gold Key artist: Doug "Jonny Quest" Wildey.

(from Tarzan 185)

tarzan_18502a.jpg

Nice pages.

Who was asking about Dell's borderless panels recently? A production quality thread, right? Some nice examples here. I hope they're reading here.

Jack

While one could debate putting the underground artists on a SA list, I don't get the hate for Crumb so far in the voting - he would rank #1 on my list of greatest comic book artists of all time. I don't expect everyone to rank him that highly - but anyone who doesn't think the man is a brilliant artist needs to pull their head out a superhero book now and then.

Testify, bro'! Somebody say HALLELUJAH!

Jack

magnus_1501a.jpg

magnus_1502a.jpg

magnus_1503a.jpg

That's a pretty strong statement to call Manning your All-time favorite! I can't say that, but I can say that Leeja was always my favorite superhero girlfriend. I loved that hairdo!

Manning should have been on the list...and should've lasted awhile.