• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really Worth CGCing Bronze Books?

25 posts in this topic

I've got a pile of really high grade bronze books that I have been mulling over getting graded.

Mostly second tier stuff (the #1s...Nova, Godzilla, Machine Man) and various nice issues of Hulk (185-200) and ASM (150-200). About 15% of these books would surely grase 9.6-9.8.

Is it really worth it?

For certain issues, yes, but for the highly speculated ones (Godzilla 1, Ms Marvel 1, Tarzan 1, etc.) even the 9.8's aren't exactly burning up the shelves. Even the ASM 150+ issues (with some exception - #194) aren't doing too well, though a few 9.8 from the run could pay a bit.

Right now, CGC profits are in high-grade, key first appearances. Take them out, grade them, and sell them. The rest may do better raw.

Mostly second tier stuff (the #1s...Nova, Godzilla, Machine Man) and various nice issues of Hulk (185-200) and ASM (150-200). About 15% of these books would surely grase 9.6-9.8.

Is it really worth it?

If you think they can get 9.8 then yes. At 9.6, you won't be doing much better than selling them ungraded. Example - Godzilla #1 CGC 9.6 might get you $30-35, while selling it raw, with a high res scan might get you $10. Is the extra $5-10 worth it? A lot depends on the title, and a trip to GPAnalysis would help you figure out which books are worth slabbing.

The ASM books in the 150 - 200 range will probably on average get you $40-$50 in 9.6 and $90 - $120 in 9.8. If you're lucky and one or more of the 3 or 4 ASM 9.8 collectors who are willing to pay out their @sses need the book, you could do quite a bit better...

The ASM books in the 150 - 200 range will probably on average get you $40-$50 in 9.6 and $90 - $120 in 9.8. If you're lucky and one or more of the 3 or 4 ASM 9.8 collectors who are willing to pay out their @sses need the book, you could do quite a bit better...

Well an ASM 151 in 9.8 would pay for your slabbing costs of them all.

Pre-screen.

Pre-screen these books for 9.6 or better - possibly 9.4 or better. It does cost you a few bucks for pre-screen rejects, so it's not a cost-free option. See if you would essentially break even with a 9.4 or 9.6 CGC grade versus raw after you add in mail costs and reject fees. Plus CGC graded books tend to sell a little easier than raw books.

if you can find a spidey#150-200 that doesnt have a 9.8 yet and you think one of yours can make that grade you would definitly make some money because thats when all of us 9.8 spidey freaks but crazy money on it devil.gif

Trust me, unless you're pre-screening a pile of superb copies, don't play the 9.8 game. I'm not sure CGC knows what comprises a 9.8 100% of the time.

With Bronze books, even non-color breaking stress lines will drop you out of the 9.6 or above category.

Pre-Screening makes a lot of sense.

Also, there is a huge price difference (almost double) to grade bewteen early Bronze and Modern. So you have to look at the date the book was issued.

So... worth it or not? I have several Spidey's that look more or less like this, but haven't bothered slabbing yet.

photo_(1)_copy(1).jpg

Obviously a nice book, white pages too. But what's the real difference between a 9.6 and 9.8? One minor dent? The grader's mood that day?

So... worth it or not? I have several Spidey's that look more or less like this, but haven't bothered slabbing yet.

photo_(1)_copy(1).jpg

Obviously a nice book, white pages too. But what's the real difference between a 9.6 and 9.8? One minor dent? The grader's mood that day?

What other Spidey's are you looking to sell? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, none. Yet. grin.gif

Just trying to figure out when slabbing is really worth it for the Bronzes. 180 I think is. If it's a 9.6 and the others are held side by side, then 174 might make 9.6 too. Certainly 9.4. True also for 176. Others would then be 9.2s and 9.4s. Still worth it? Maybe not. confused-smiley-013.gif

If, however, 180 is a 9.8 (which it might be, it seems almost like splitting hairs) then the rest might all be 9.4s and 9.6s.

So I guess the question is, is 9.8 like art? One doesn't know what it is, but one knows it when they see it?

So I guess the question is, is 9.8 like art? One doesn't know what it is, but one knows it when they see it?

A 9.8 is what CGC says it is, and nothing more.

Never sub to CGC with a 9.8 in mind, as it's a losing game and you'll get back some CGC 9.2-9.6 returns. Always send in what you think are NM or higher issues with a 9.4 as your profit and a 9.6 as your best case.

"Will the books be profitable to sell at CGC 9.4?" Yes or No. Submit or Not.

Otherwise, you'll be adding up "pie in the sky" CGC 9.8 sales figures and then end up going in the hole trying to sell off your CGC 9.2-9.4 common Bronze issues.

Never sub to CGC with a 9.8 in mind, as it's a losing game and you'll get back some CGC 9.2-9.6 returns. Always send in what you think are NM or higher issues with a 9.4 as your profit and a 9.6 as your best case.

Otherwise, you'll be adding up "pie in the sky" CGC 9.8 sales figures and then end up going in the hole trying to sell off your CGC 9.2-9.4 common Bronze issues.

agreed.

You hit the nail right on the head.

I submitted 15 Moderns a while back that I was sure would be at least 9.8's or better! 893frustrated.gif Mind you these were books that I cherry picked from the comic shop back in the mid 80's and were never read and immediately put into an acid free backing board with a mylite.

Here are some of the grades:

Punisher Limited Series # 1 (2) 9.2/9.6 WP

# 2 (3) 9.6 WP

# 3 (1) 9.6 WP

# 4 (2) rejected because of overhang

# 5 (4) 3 9.6 1 9.8

confused-smiley-013.gif

You hit the nail right on the head.

I submitted 15 Moderns a while back that I was sure would be at least 9.8's or better! 893frustrated.gif Mind you these were books that I cherry picked from the comic shop back in the mid 80's and were never read and immediately put into an acid free backing board with a mylite.

Here are some of the grades:

Punisher Limited Series # 1 (2) 9.2/9.6 WP

# 2 (3) 9.6 WP

# 3 (1) 9.6 WP

# 4 (2) rejected because of overhang

# 5 (4) 3 9.6 1 9.8

confused-smiley-013.gif

This shop wasn't from our favorite comic shop on 37th ave, run by our obese chain smoking friends, was it?

photo_(1)_copy(1).jpg

Taking a good look at the scan, my books are easily comparable to this one...particularly my ASM 194 (perfect black cover).

The answers following the scan were very helpful...thanks!

I say give it a shot! thumbsup2.gif

I suggest submitting 8-10 books to evaluate a) your grading, and b) the "worthiness" of slabbing them. Start with the #1's and the key Spideys you think are 9.6 or better. Any 9.8 Spideys between 151 and 200 (esp 151, 194, and the Goblin issues) would definitely be worth slabbing...good luck, and let us know how it turns out! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif