• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FLORIDA COMIC-CON_DEC. 8-9_SOUTH FLORIDA_GENE HA, DON KRAMER, PETER MAYHEW

27 posts in this topic

FLORIDA SUPERCON PRESENTS:

THE FLORIDA COMIC-CON

SOUTH FLORIDA'S COMIC BOOK CONVENTION

DECEMBER 8 – 9, 2007

www.floridacomic-con.com

Featuring:

* Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew: Star of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi

* Gene Ha: Superstar Comic Book Artist. Justice League of America, Top 10, The Authority, Batman, X-Men and Teen Titans.

* Don Kramer: Superstar Comic Book Artist. Detective Comics, Batman, Countdown, The Thing, JSA, Dr. Fate and Aquaman.

* Fat Momma: Star of Stan Lee’s “WHO WANT’S TO BE A SUPERHERO”.

* Allen Bellman: Golden Age Comic Book Legend. Captain America, The Patriot, The Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, Let’s Play Detective, Marvel Comic and more!

* Al Baruch: Legendary Disney Animator. Concept artist for Peter Pan and Lady and the Tramp.

* Terry Cronin and Pat Martin: Creators of independent comic sensation Students of the Unusual.

*Rob Granito: Painted Jester Studios

& MORE!!!!!

Dealers already confirmed include:

*TATES COMICS + TOYS + VIDEOS + MORE

*CRAZY ED'S COMICS

(SILVER, BRONZE & MODERN COMICS)

*GLEN COHEN COMICS

(SILVER AGE, BRONZE, MODERN & TRADES/GRAPHIC NOVELS)

*TIM GORDON'S COMICS

(GOLDEN, SILVER & BRONZE COMICS)

*TOM RAUPP

*BROWSE HOUSE COMICS

*READ MORE COMICS

(COMIC BOOKS & TRADE PAPERBACKS)

*TWISTED HEROES

(COMIC BOOKS & TRADE PAPERBACKS)

*ANIMATION SWORDS

(SWORDS & WEAPONS)

*E-COMIC STORE

(MODERN COMICS & MANGA)

*FICTION COMICS

(GOLDEN AGE, SILVER AGE & BRONZE AGE COMICS)

*BTL COLLECTIVE

(COMICS, TOYS & ANIME)

*TONY FERNANDEZ

*DAVID VAQUERO

*REI UMEZAWA

*PK COLLECTIBLES

(SCI FI MEMORABILIA, BADGES, DVD'S & MORE!)

*WALDENBOOKS

(MANGA, GRAPHIC NOVELS & TRADE PAPERBACKS)

*PHIL'S COMIC SHOPPE

(GOLDEN, SILVER, BRONZE & MODERN COMICS)

*X-TREME COMICS

(COMIC BOOKS, STATUES, TOYS, ANIME & MORE)

*LOST REALMS COMICS & GAMES

(COMIC BOOKS, STATUES & MORE!)

& MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!

The convention hours of operation are:

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8: 10:00AM - 6:00PM

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 9: 10:00AM - 5:00PM

2096 N.E. 2nd Street

Deerfield Beach, FL. 33441

Florida Comic-Con Tickets are currently available online at $10 for a weekend pass. Tickets at the door will be $12 for a weekend pass and $8 for a one day pass. All attndees that pre-register for Anime Supercon (www.animesupercon.com) will receive a FREE weekend pass to Florida Comic-Con. As well, all attendees for Anime Supercon that register at the door will receive a ticket for 1/2 off a weekend pass to Florida Comic-Con.

FLORIDA COMIC-CON is sponsored by Students of the Unusual (www.studentsoftheunusual.com) and Tate's Comics (www.tatescomics.com)

Also, Supercon Conventions will be set up to accept CGC signature series submissions at the show.

SUPERCON CONVENTIONS IS AN AUTHORIZED CGC DEALER AND IS AN

AUTHORIZED CGC SIGNATURE SERIES WITNESS. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT A REPRESENTATIVE FROM SUPERCON CONVENTIONS MUST WITNESS

THE ACTUAL SIGNING OF THE COMIC IN ORDER TO VERIFY THE AUTHENTICITY OF THE SIGNATURE. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE CGC SIGNATURE SERIES go to http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/SignatureSeries.asp

Just a quick props for the show. I set up last time, and the place was buzzing. I dont know exact attendance but I will say turnout was strong. I am looking forward to it, and will have some hard to find comics, as well as a ton of trades/graphic novels.

Hope to see some new faces there.

Florida Comic-Con is happy to announce the addition three new guests for the Dec. 8-9, 2007 show in Deerfield Beach, FL. David Lloyd, Christian Beranek and Rob Granito are the latest additions to the growing line up.

David Lloyd is best known as the co-creator of "V For Vendetta" with Alan Moore, which began as a comic book and was adapted into a movie in 2006. Most recently Mr. Llyod created the graphic novel "Kickback", published in the U.S. thru Dark Horse Comics. His artwork has also graced the pages of Hellblazer, Doctor Who, The Horrorist, Time Bandits, Global Frequency and Madrox.

Christian Beranek is the co-creator of the graphic novel Dracula vs. King Arthur and is working on the screenplay for the feature film. He also wrote the origin of John Doe for the New Line Cinema / Zenescope series, Se7en. In addition to these credits, Beranek formed and ran his own publishing company, Silent Devil for 10 strong years. He has worked as a consultant for Top Cow and Zenescope. He also helped develop brand integrated strategies for such companies as Harley-Davidson, AOL, Mazda and Universal Music. Beranek resides in Los Angeles, CA and is never late for dinner.

Rob Granito is an artist, illustrator and all around art geek. He has worked for over a dozen years in the fields of sci-fi and fantasy. He has been known to work for companies such as Warner Brothers, DC comics, Disney, MTV and VH1 where he worked of a variety of medium ranging from cartoons and comic books to novel covers as well as creating sculptures and murals. Rob has recently completed working on the interior illustrations for The Dragon and the Detective and Fools Night and is currently doing work on the the SCARED! television series' boardgame.

These new guests join a line up that already includes:

* Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew: Star of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Revenge of the Sith.

* Gene Ha: Superstar Comic Book Artist. Justice League of America, Top 10, The Authority, Batman, X-Men and Teen Titans.

* Don Kramer: Superstar Comic Book Artist. Detective Comics, Batman, Countdown, The Thing, JSA, Dr. Fate and Aquaman.

* Fat Momma: Star of Stan Lee’s “WHO WANT’S TO BE A SUPERHERO”.

* Allen Bellman: Golden Age Comic Book Legend. Captain America, The Patriot, The Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, Let’s Play Detective, Marvel Comic and more!

* Al Baruch: Legendary Disney Animator. Concept artist for Peter Pan and Lady and the Tramp.

* Terry Cronin and Pat Martin: Creators of independent comic sensation Students of the Unusual.

* Plus Artists and Writers: Greg Kirkpatrick, George Moss, Matt Reynolds, Glenda Finkelstein and Manny Aguilera.

For more information, go to www.floridacomic-con.com

The convention hours of operation are:

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8: 10:00AM - 6:00PM

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 9: 10:00AM - 5:00PM

2096 N.E. 2nd Street

Deerfield Beach, FL. 33441

Florida Comic-Con Tickets are currently available online at $10 for a weekend pass. Tickets at the door will be $12 for a weekend pass and $8 for a one day pass. All attetndees that pre-register for Anime Supercon (www.animesupercon.com) will receive a FREE weekend pass to Florida Comic-Con. As well, all attendees for Anime Supercon that register at the door will receive a ticket for 1/2 off a weekend pass to Florida Comic-Con.

FLORIDA COMIC-CON is sponsored by Students of the Unusual (www.studentsoftheunusual.com) and Tate's Comics (www.tatescomics.com)

Here's the schedule for Saturday

SATURDAY

11:00AM

NICK'S GAME O'RAMA

SUPERHERO TRIVIA w/NICK & FAT MOMMA

1 HOUR - MAIN EVENTS

12:00PM

COSTUMING 101

1 HOUR - MAIN EVENTS

HOSTED BY THE HEROES ALLIANCE

1:00PM

MEET THE ARTISTS

THE GENE HA - DON KRAMER - DAVID LLOYD Q&A

COME MEET THREE OF TODAY'S SUPERSTAR COMIC BOOK

ARTISTS! FIND OUT WHAT THEY'RE WORKING ON, AND ASK THEM

ABOUT THEIR PAST WORK.

1 HOUR - MAIN EVENTS

SUPERHERO SANDCASTLE / SANDSCULPTURE CONTEST

MAKE YOUR OWN SUPERHERO (OR VIDEO GAME/ANIME/SCI-FI)

THEMED SANDCASTLE OR SCULPTURE. BUILD THE FORTRESS OF

SOLITUDE, THE BAXTER BUILDING, AVENGERS MANSION, THE

BATCAVE, THE LEGION OF SUPERHEROES CLUBHOUSE,

THE HALL OF JUSTICE OR MORE!

WANT TO BUILD A SCULPTURE? HOW ABOUT THE ENTERPRISE,

MILLENIUM FALCON OR EVEN KAL-EL'S ROCKET!

COME SUPRISE US

2:00PM

WHO WANTS TO BE A WOOKIE?

THINK YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES? COME GIVE US YOUR BEST

WOOKIE YELL. CHEWBACCA HIMSELF WILL BE ON HAND TO

CHOOSE THE WINNER!

30 MINUTES - MAIN EVENTS

2:30PM

COSTUME & COSPLAY PHOTOSHOOT ON THE BEACH!

1 HOUR - ON THE BEACH (DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM THE HOTEL)

IT'S A COMIC SHOW, AND THERE'S A BEACH ACROSS THE STREET

SO, YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

EVERYONE WHO COMES IN COSTUME CAN JOIN IN THE FUN

AS WE HAVE OUR PRO PHOTOGRAPHER ON HAND TO TAKE

PICTURES OF EVERYONE ON THE BEACH

(ALL PHOTOS WILL BE POSTED ONLINE AFTER THE EVENT)

1 HOUR - ON THE BEACH - ACROSS FROM THE HOTEL

2:30PM

ALLEN BELLMAN Q&A

EVER WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE GOLDEN AGE OF COMICS?

COME TALK WITH ONE OF THE ORIGINALS!

MR. BELLMAN WAS AT TIMELY/MARVEL & HAS ENDLESS STORIES

TO TELL ABOUT HIS TIME WORKING WITH STAN LEE IN THE

1940'S & 1950'S

1 HOUR - MAIN EVENTS

3:30PM

THE F.C.C. COSTUME CONTEST

1 HOUR - MAIN EVENTS ROOM

HOSTED BY THE HEROES ALLIANCE

YOU KNOW THE DRILL! IT'S A COSTUME CONTEST AND

YOU'RE INVITED! SIGN UP AT THE HEROES ALLIANCE TABLE AT

THE SHOW! COME IN COSTUME AS YOUR FAVORITE SUPERHERO,

VIDEO GAME OR ANIME CHARACTER.

1 HOUR - MAIN EVENTS

4:30PM

THE INDEPENDENT COMICS PANEL

w/ CHRISTIAN BERANEK, PAT MARTIN,

GREG KIRKPATRICK & MORE!

WANT TO LEARN HOW TO SELF PUBLISH, OR BREAK INTO THE

INDIE COMICS SCENE? THEN THIS IS THE PANEL FOR YOU!

1 HOUR - MAIN EVENTS

6:00PM

SHOW'S OVER - LETS GO HANG OUT AT THE BEACH

SUNDAY schedule of events

6:00AM

THE UNOFFICIAL 1ST ANNUAL

PRINCE NAMOR "AVENGING SON"

INVITATIONAL FISH OFF ON THE BEACH

w/SPECIAL GUEST: THE INVISIBLE WOMAN

CELEBRITY PICTIONARY

PICTIONARY WITH SOME OF OUR CELEBRITY ARTISTS!

MAIN EVENTS - 45 MINUTES

DEAD OR ALIVE DODGEBALL

DODGEBALL ON THE BEACH

THE (5) D's OF DODGEBALL

DODGE, DUCK, DIP, DIVE & DODGE

ON THE BEACH - 45 MINUTES

12:00PM

FAT MOMMA Q&A

1 HOUR - MAIN EVENTS

MEET THE STAR OF

STAN LEE'S "WHO WANTS TO BE A SUPERHERO"

AND FIND OUT WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A SUPERHERO!

MAIN EVENTS - 1 HOUR

PETER MAYHEW Q&A

1 HOUR - MAIN EVENTS ROOM

SPEND AN HOUR WITH THE LEGENDARY PETER MAYHEW

THE MAN WHO IS "CHEWBACCA"

STAR OF STAR WARS, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK,

RETURN OF THE JEDI, REVENGE OF THE SITH,

THE STAR WARS HOLIDAY MOVIE

PLUS: THE STAR OF DRAGONBALL GT THE MOVIE

"A HERO'S LEGACY"

MAIN EVENTS - 1 HOUR

2:00PM

MURLOC MAYHEM ON THE BEACH

TUG OF CIVIL WAR!

THE NAMORITA MEMORIAL "HULA HOOP CONTEST"

THE MR. FANTASTIC LIMBO CONTEST

THE FLASH'S "CRISIS OF INFINITE EGGS" (EGG RELAY RACE)

ON THE BEACH - 1 HOUR

3:00PM

STUDENTS OF THE UNUSUAL FILM FESTIVAL

(FILMS BASED ON THE STUDENTS OF THE UNUSUAL)

90 MINUTES - MAIN EVENTS ROOM

5:00PM

SHOW'S OVER - LET'S GO HANG OUT AT THE BEACH

Awesome convention,

Pros:

Great Hotel -Right on the beach

Small Convention Feel - Like the comic cons of old

Great Guests -Gene Ha, Don Kramer and David Lloyd

Mike is overal a great guy and puts on a great show

Cons:

NO PARKING/EXPENSIVE PARKING...I paid over $20 through the coarse of the day due to having to park in a garage a few blocks away

Small vendor room (which also lead to getting great deals since vendors were right ontop of one another

Overal great COMIC convention, there arent many that I would consider a COMIC con due to the influx in Anime %*$% but this was trully a comic convention and I had a great time

I was a dealer with a few tables at the show. My main items sold are 50 percent off trade paperbacks, as well as a wall of some CGC stuff, and I also have about 20 magazine boxes of mylar'd material.

I did hear some vendors moaning about sales but I did well overall. I sold about $400 of underground material alone, and a couple of hundreds graphic novels. I traded away my CGC Aquaman # 1 to another dealer for a fast moving pile that left us both happy.

My raw comic sales were off due to Richard, not a regular seller but someone blowing out his vintage collection at .25 cents a book. Imagine, 30+ long boxes, stuffed, all 1970's material, nothing removed.

The dealers were elbow to elbow making piles. I know there was an ASM 129 and a Hulk 181 pulled, as well as all the Whitman variants, and Marvel price variants. Say it over to yourself again, .25 cents a book. I was solo at my tables so I was not able to particapate in the feeding frenzy for the .25 cent books.

Some great artists were doing sketches, including one elderly fellow doing Fallen Son Caps but as I was solo manning my tables most of the time I could not venture out.

I am amazed at the lack of boardie interest in this show, as it is foot per foot just very strong in quality material and sales. But yes, parking was less than ideal. Next show in may will be in a bigger venue so hopefully parking will be better.

I'm happy you did so well Glenn.

I couldn't make it down there as I had business obligations this weekend, unrelated to comics. When those went away on about Wednesday, I turned to Jeff's one day show in Orlando. I had 50 LB's loaded and ready to go to the show but couldn't make it to it either because my wife, who is 6 months pregnant, took ill yesterday and my 2yr old has been sick since Friday. Both of them are still running temps. We couldn't get a sitter at 5 am!!

Wadda drag. I've now missed Tampa, Daytona, & these 2 shows all in a row.

Was Richard the guy who was selling books at $2 a pop last time? The guy with mostly '80's but some '70's/'90's Marvels who bought the books off of an Iraq War veteran to help him in his time of need?

As for boards interest, don't let that bother you either. A lack of posts doesn't in & of its self mean anything as far as attendance goes.

Hey Billy,

Just to clarify this was the south florida show at deerfield beach run by Mike, not the one that you would have made it to which I understand was a disaster.

Nope, the .25 cent seller was new to shows, and the material has never been shown at a show. All was solid 1970's, all unbagged and unboarded but somehow still fresh looking. Well by sunday the comics were not fresh looking as they were mauled by the eager buyers.

Imagine all the sellers, Phil, Tate, Crazy Ed, Orlando, Tom, Tim etc elbow to elbow at the boxes, making massive piles, with their booths unmanned or undermanned, because they are pulling hundreds of $25 and $50+ books for a quarter. Imagine how ill I felt not being able to take part in the free for all as I had solid wall of graphic novel buyers at my tables.

Anyway, I digress, cool show. Hope to see some of you at the next show.

Hey Billy,

Just to clarify this was the south florida show at deerfield beach run by Mike, not the one that you would have made it to which I understand was a disaster.

Nope, the .25 cent seller was new to shows, and the material has never been shown at a show. All was solid 1970's, all unbagged and unboarded but somehow still fresh looking. Well by sunday the comics were not fresh looking as they were mauled by the eager buyers.

Imagine all the sellers, Phil, Tate, Crazy Ed, Orlando, Tom, Tim etc elbow to elbow at the boxes, making massive piles, with their booths unmanned or undermanned, because they are pulling hundreds of $25 and $50+ books for a quarter. Imagine how ill I felt not being able to take part in the free for all as I had solid wall of graphic novel buyers at my tables.

Anyway, I digress, cool show. Hope to see some of you at the next show.

Those guys all deserve to make some money. They work very hard.

The .25 cent bins were awesome...I pulled out a NM copy of Secret Wars #8 and almost ever Avenger book from 175-250.

I also got a bunch of Batman and Dectets from the early to mid 70s....yeah that .25 bin rocked..

Check out the Signature forum to see pics of the sketches I got there

The .25 cent bins were awesome...I pulled out a NM copy of Secret Wars #8 and almost ever Avenger book from 175-250.

I also got a bunch of Batman and Dectets from the early to mid 70s....yeah that .25 bin rocked..

Check out the Signature forum to see pics of the sketches I got there

Thats awesome. (thumbs u

I couldn't make it down there as I had business obligations this weekend, unrelated to comics

Unrelated to comics? I dont get it, lol. Hope you make it to FX. Should be a wild free for all. I read in FX handout that they project 1500 vendor tables. That should make for some fiece cut throat competition by sunday afternoon from the hungry dealers I would think.

Again at FX I will be solo. I will again probably have someone handing out $100 bills all day 100 feet from me and not be able to join the frenzy. Its all good fun though. :)

I couldn't make it down there as I had business obligations this weekend, unrelated to comics

Unrelated to comics? I dont get it, lol. Hope you make it to FX. Should be a wild free for all. I read in FX handout that they project 1500 vendor tables. That should make for some fiece cut throat competition by sunday afternoon from the hungry dealers I would think.

Again at FX I will be solo. I will again probably have someone handing out $100 bills all day 100 feet from me and not be able to join the frenzy. Its all good fun though. :)

Did you do FX last year.....? I did......

Tables are pricey too....

They Did...even Mark from CGC asked to buy it...they guy wouldnt sell the whole lot untill the end of the day, and then after he sold it...to a dealer I think, that person turned around and put the comics up for $.50 each the next day...(after he cherry picked any good ones remaining I assumed)

They Did...even Mark from CGC asked to buy it...they guy wouldnt sell the whole lot untill the end of the day, and then after he sold it...to a dealer I think, that person turned around and put the comics up for $.50 each the next day...(after he cherry picked any good ones remaining I assumed)

Thats great!! Which dealer? What did he look like?

By the end of the day the books were worked hard and looking like they needed a rest. The boxes were worked over for a solid 10 hours. I had no desire to offer anything for the lot at the end of the show.

This was not at all a typical seller. I asked Richard before any hands had touched the boxes to sell them as a lot, 30+ longs.

I would have paid him his full asking price plus I would have paid his table fees. Seller declined, I know Orly offered to buy him out before show opened as well. The seller didnt want the collection to end up all in 1 persons hands, he wanted to distribute the wealth so to speak, and he did accomplish that as many people ended up with a pile.

I did not mean to make that 1 seller focus of show, there was a lot of buzz aside from the "quarter guy". There was definitely a crowd in a buying mood as I moved piles of product. I dont know anything about statues but there were some dealers that had some impressive massive pieces with equally massive prices on them, and by end of 2nd day many statues had new homes.

Promoter gave out some kind of raffle for free spending money at the show, which is a great idea as it makes people go around and shop, and they have an easier time spending a little more if they have an upfront spending voucher covering part of the buy. I could go on, but gist is it was a good show.