• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Con War Stories, Dealer Perspective, Geekdom Chronicles

61 posts in this topic

I saw John Fairless turn over his table trying to go after a customer that made him mad.

:golfclap: Bravo! Bravo!

But only if the comics all went flying...

Everywhere! It took most of the afternoon to get stuff back in boxes.

I had a booth at WonderCon and this dealer from Canada (he has a HUGE amount of tables and likes to sell sets) would wander over and lowball/harass me for stacks of comics (all of the same issue, etc.). He basically bought a long box of Infinity Gauntlets off me, a short box of Secret Wars, etc. among other books. The aggressiveness of the guy drove me nuts. It was like he was bargaining with himself.

I had a booth at WonderCon and this dealer from Canada (he has a HUGE amount of tables and likes to sell sets) would wander over and lowball/harass me for stacks of comics (all of the same issue, etc.). He basically bought a long box of Infinity Gauntlets off me, a short box of Secret Wars, etc. among other books. The aggressiveness of the guy drove me nuts. It was like he was bargaining with himself.

I'd put Crazy Ed up against this guy you describe any day of the week. No one can touch Florida's own, the legendary Crazy Ed!

I saw John Fairless turn over his table trying to go after a customer that made him mad.

:golfclap: Bravo! Bravo!

But only if the comics all went flying...

Everywhere! It took most of the afternoon to get stuff back in boxes.

That is tremendous!

400 POSTS! YES!!

Greggy?

Greggy?

lol

No... greggy was actually BEHIND the table a lot of the time. (My booth was kind of a rest stop for some board members since I had two corner booths that year.)

greggy doesn't buy books like that... (tsk)

(Always happy to take greggy's cast-offs...)

Only time I have ever been really mad at a show...

(And if this was any of you I apologize for losing it).

I was set up at Wonder-Con about ten years ago. I had just bought a nice high-grade run of D.C bronze stuff and they were selling very well. A guy walks up and digs through and pulls out a Justice League 93 (or so, one of the 52 pg. .25 cent issues). I had it priced at $16 which was nm guide, and it was very nice - but this was pre-CGC. He didn't quibble about the grade, but asked if I would sell it for $10.

I said I couldn't, they were selling too well but I would do $15. We went back and forth but $15 was the best I was going to do.

He walks around for a while and then decides, grumpily, that he will take it.

As he pays the me $15 he also pulls out a nickel and flips it on the table and says,"here, keep it. You obviously need it more than I do." And he turns and bolts off.

I am flippin' p.o.ed. So I pick the nickel up and fastballed it right into the back of his head from about thirty feet. My helper was stunned. I couldn't believe it was so on target.

Anyway, I hope somewhere he is enjoying the book, and telling his friends about the azzhole dealer with the wicked arm.

That made me truly laugh. Wow, that's a great one. I can picture it so well. lol

Was his name George?????????

That's what I was thinking...

That's what I was thinking...

I don't remember his name... but I'd recognize him (shrug)

I know Marc from HouseofComics (and Harley) knows who he is.

I don't know who he is actually--they are from Quebec, no? I'm very familiar with their tables and their deal but have never spoken with them.

I know they asked Harley if they should do Sacramento the following week and I laughed because they take so many tables and I knew that Sacramento was sold out.

I'd put Crazy Ed up against this guy you describe any day of the week. No one can touch Florida's own, the legendary Crazy Ed!

Crazy Ed is very funny, and the original Paper Moon, Flim Flam guy, I've bought from him twice, and each time, by the time he was finished, I had 3 books I didn't need/ want and absolutely NO idea what I had originally wanted , what I had paid for them individually...nor what his true occupation was, he started with a dozen or so different job titles, including attorney at law...(I think used car salesman might be the real one;)

I've only been to the Florida Con once, but I've seen him a dozen times, I think he travels a lot....Now if I see him, I walk around the other way...first time I got hooked in, the 2nd time, he kind of dragged me to his table as I was walking by, not a horrid person, but there will not BE a 3rd time... :wishluck:

Yes

I don't know who he is actually--they are from Quebec, no? I'm very familiar with their tables and their deal but have never spoken with them.

I know they asked Harley if they should do Sacramento the following week and I laughed because they take so many tables and I knew that Sacramento was sold out.

Major Comics? Oscar and Harry?

Dennis

Speaking of Crazy Ed; I've got another one. One show he was going around from dealer table to dealer table selling these choclate candies for $.50 each. He wasn't just "selling" them, but he was doing his traditional salesman tactics...except with candy instead of comics. He said his wife made them. There were three of us at the booth (mcmiles and his friend Steve). I gave in quickly, and just bought one. Well, Steve put up a good fight and pulled out the best card he could. He told Ed that he was diabetic (even though he isn't), and couldn't eat it. Well, that didn't stop Ed. I don't remember what happened in-between, but by the end he sold an apparent diabetic a piece of chocolate fudge candy.

I don't remember what happened in-between, but by the end he sold an apparent diabetic a piece of chocolate fudge candy.

lol Ed is amazing. Another classic tale of comicdom. Keep 'em comin'. This thread is looking to end up as the best of the week.

I don't remember what happened in-between, but by the end he sold an apparent diabetic a piece of chocolate fudge candy.

lol Ed is amazing. Another classic tale of comicdom. Keep 'em comin'. This thread is looking to end up as the best of the week.

Who is this Crazy Ed people speak of hm

Does anyone know his origin and do you have any "crazy" photos