• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Comic Book Keys are Up 10.5% in 2007

30 posts in this topic

2007 is shaping up to be a great year for Silver Age keys!

See the whole article at Silver Age Price Index (SCPI) 2007 Year-to-Date September

scpi-through-september-2007-760334.jpg

After you've looked at the article, please let me know what you think! Also, let me know how we can improve comicpriceindex.com .

:applause:

I'm looking forward to your ASM results.

Thanks for doing this!

Thanks for the encouragement on the ASM results! It helps me to get motivated if I know that people are interested.

I'm thinking of showing the movie and DVD release dates on the ASM index graph. I suspect that movie hype does affect prices of the individual titles.

Very informative article CG! I'm looking forward to any FF results you may come up with :applause:

Thanks! I will probably do FF right after ASM. I was tempted to do X-Men first because it's my favorite title. However, I think that I should do it in order of market share and that means FF is #2.

I'm open to suggestions on issues to include. I think that minor keys would be a good idea as these tend to have reasonably good census numbers.

Higher census means more sales and thus more data. Books that only trade a couple of times a year are not very good candidates for the index.

I think that the next several months will be particularly interesting for the SCPI.

I understand that the Sotheby's art auction this week was considered a big disappointment. There were no bids on the $25M starting bid for a Van Gogh landscape. Article about Sotheby's auction

I suspect that the greedy people at Sotheby's got carried away with their predictions of record-breaking prices on everything in sight.

One of the reasons I created the SCPI is that the big dealers have an interest in convincing people that Comic Books will rise exponentially and make investors rich. My data shows 8.5% per year of growth of top Silver Age keys. It's not a bad rate of return, but it's hardly going to make you rich in a few years. I wanted to show reality, not hype.

Anyway, with the housing market, stock market and fine art markets all showing weakness, it will be interesting to see if we get a correlation in the comic book market. My guess is that comics will be resilient, because comics are still relatively affordable.

Stay tuned!

Interesting info. I wonder how these books will hold up as the sub-prime mess continues to unwind next year?

It is also interesting to see that only 2 DC books trade frequently enough to make the list. I would have thought that mid grade copies of GL #1 or Flash #105 traded often enough to make the list but I guess I am wrong.

Cycle girl, here's some good words of wisdom from your article. Buy what you enjoy and enjoy what you buy but don't look at it as an investment. This way the hobby will be more fullfilling...

But I WOULD scratch through the real estate part right now....

My advice: fund your 401k and Roth IRA every year; buy mutual funds and real estate! Those ought to be the foundation. Don't think that comic book investing is going to make you rich. I wouldn't recommend that anyone have more than 10% of their net worth invested in collectibles. I personally have between 2 and 3% of my net worth in comic books and I consider that a large amount.

Cycle girl, here's some good words of wisdom from your article. Buy what you enjoy and enjoy what you buy but don't look at it as an investment. This way the hobby will be more fullfilling...

My advice: fund your 401k and Roth IRA every year; buy mutual funds and real estate! Those ought to be the foundation. Don't think that comic book investing is going to make you rich. I wouldn't recommend that anyone have more than 10% of their net worth invested in collectibles. I personally have between 2 and 3% of my net worth in comic books and I consider that a large amount.

peewee, thanks for the constructive comments!

To your first point, "... don't look at it as an investment." Can't a person enjoy owning the books and think of them as an investment at the same time? I'll bet a lot of the high-end collectors feel this way.

To your second point.... I just looked it up and US Real Estate has returned an average of 6% from 1992 to 2006. Silver Age books have beaten that since 2002. OTOH, real estate produces income in the form of rent, so the total return is higher than the capital gains quoted.

"Your mileage may vary..." :gossip:

peewee, thanks for the constructive comments!

To your first point, "... don't look at it as an investment." Can't a person enjoy owning the books and think of them as an investment at the same time? I'll bet a lot of the high-end collectors feel this way.

To your second point.... I just looked it up and US Real Estate has returned an average of 6% from 1992 to 2006. Silver Age books have beaten that since 2002. OTOH, real estate produces income in the form of rent, so the total return is higher than the capital gains quoted.

"Your mileage may vary..." :gossip:

And income producing properties can be paid off over time, at which point you have an income from the property.

Regardless, I'd rather have medium to slow growth than none at all or a huge spike and huge fall.

Nice work!

Hi CycleGirl & Ivanko, points well taken.

The 2-3% of NW (net worth) is probably a good benchmark to use in investing in this hobby UNLESS it's your living. (I'm a CPA and try to keep numbers away from the hobby). Mine is about 4-5%....a little high but that's primarily in one key book. But there's nothing wrong at all with enjoying your books and proudly saying, "MAN, I made a dang good investment on that Spidey #3 !" but I still agree with the stats in your article about RE, stocks & bonds as primary-proven investment vehicles not comics, stamps, or coins. I can honestly say that I've never viewed a balance sheet or financial statement that's primarily driven by collectibles (although there are some out there) so to say they are hobbies is pretty much fair and accurate.The R/E comment I made stems from the problemated housing market due to floating rate loans booked years ago at attractive interest rates.