• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Namora #1 really a 9.8???

15 posts in this topic

Below is a scan of the Namora #1 from the "Vancouver" collection that rated a 9.8 grade from CGC (currently up for auction at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2194012366&category=68&rd=1)

Talk about grading on a curve for Golden Age! There's at least 3 color-breaking spine stresses, some surface wear, slight mis-wrap, a little blunting of the lower left corner. It's still a gorgeous book to be sure, but come on...3 color-breaking stresses on a 9.8??? foreheadslap.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

1061184128011_NAMORA__1_CGC_9.8_FC.jpg

Check out the Contact 12 at 9.2. Boy that's some wear and tear for a NM–.

Most every Mile High I ever owned got a higher grade than I had put on it. No question they give Golden Age books the special treatment. Especially if it has nice page quality.

I think that Namora # 1 has some GAL power working in its favor (GAL being short for Golden Age Latitude)

What do you think the latest issue of USM (in the exact same condition) would get from CGC?

I'd say no more than 9.2.

And I've got no problem with the "leeway" given GA books - I've got a lot of GA books myself, and while I try to be equally strict with them, I can understand and even appreciate (in some ways) the notion that a 50-60 year old book simply is going to have some wear, even if only through oxidation over half a century.

What I can't abide is CGC not delineating *how* much leeway they'll give, how they apply that leeway, and whether there's a "sliding leeway scale" within the GA category - does a book from 1939 get *more* leeway than a book from 1949 ?