• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Breaking the fourth wall' covers

95 posts in this topic

I saw Thor 337 in another thread which got me thinking about covers that 'break the fourth wall', as film buffs would put it*. A cover where the characters interact with the logo, the frame, the paper itself etc.

*(Actually, a real film buff would call it having the diegesis interact with non-diegetic elements :blahblah: )

Giant Size X-Men 1 is another obvious example, tearing through the cover!

I happen to have been scanning some of my copper X-Men lately so here's what I've got on hand....

Here's Wolverine slashing my otherwise minty fresh X-Men 207:

xmen207.jpg

Here the X-Men relax on or dangle from their own logo:

xmen181.jpg

And here Cyclops smashes the logo with a rogue blast!:

xmen176.jpg

I seem to recall an ASM with a smashed up logo too, but I can't pinpoint it offhand. Anybody else want to chime in?

One of my favorite "breaking the fourth wall" moments on a cover is Amazing Spider-Man #250. Hobgoblin, up in the corner of the cover, instructs the potential buyer, "It's great! Steal it." I love that a villain was giving evil advice that could hurt the potential sales of the issue and land the thief in juvenile hall. Classic! (And, yes, I paid for my copy!)

That UXM 207 cover is one of my favorites. :cloud9:

:gossip: It's actually called the proscenium :makepoint: . . . and it predates celluloid by a few centuries :grin:

Thanks for the new word! New word, mmmm :cloud9:

So that would be like stage actors interacting with the outside edge of the stage, sort of thing?

Anyway, the ASM I had in mind was this:

2357_20050928224739_large.jpg

:gossip: It's actually called the proscenium :makepoint: . . . and it predates celluloid by a few centuries :grin:

Thanks for the new word! New word, mmmm :cloud9:

Actually, early cavemen predated that with their common "breaking the stone abutment".

:gossip: It's actually called the proscenium

lollollol

Does the statement "in common usage" even register with you? doh!

Also, are you by any chance English?

Perhaps JC is best at exhibiting his lack of intelligence . . . :foryou: