• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got an interesting Question about something that's disappeared in comics

41 posts in this topic

Something struck me like a tonofbricks.giftonofbricks.giftonofbricks.gif

what every happen to thought ballons?

seems that in comics except in comic strips they have gone the way of the DO DO BIRD

I t used to be that you would gain insight on the customers caharacter or fears.

Now alll you get is 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Makes you wonder if the writers are just taking the easy way out.

Let's bring back their thoughts....

thanks

WEBHEAD 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, it doesn't take as long to read moderns as it did Silver Age. Reading a run of Tales of Suspense, Caps and Iron Man I could only manage 4 comics an hour when I read Tales of Suspense. Moderns, I can read 6 or 7 of them. Big difference, and the thought balloons have got to be a big reason for it.

I think some books overused them, using thought balloons to make key plot points got tedious in some books. I think writers today prefer to show shock and other emotions with art rather than a thought balloon 'Egads what kind of mutant monstrosity is this'.

Though I can see there being a place for thought ballons, i.e. when the character is showing something to the outside world that is fake and needs to let the reader know whats actually happening.

Overall stories are less complicated with more action being involved so that probably has something to do with it too.

I think BoC is on to something.

[Edited after I actually looked up the books in question]

Neither Alan Moore nor Frank Miller used thought balloons in their groundbreaking 1980s stuff (Swamp Thing, Dark Knight Returns, Year One). (Though it appears Miller did use thought balloons in his first Daredevil run).

In these books, the thoughts were displayed in the captions not balloons .

The reason? My guess is thought balloons were seen as just too Snoopy-esque!

Comics are becoming more like movies (Frank Miller effect) when they really don't have to. Thought balloons are one of the advantages of the genre, as you can show a different take or angle on a scene using a pretty simple technique.

Let's say two bad guys are working together to get Spidey, but are actually looking to off each other later on. Pretty common plot point, but it would take multiple panels and boring exposition to get the point across.

I prefer the old school approach of a couple of thought balloons telling us what they're really thinking. It gives added range, lends to "tight comic writing" and can even be quite humorous when used correctly.

Instead, Modern's have Villain 1 calling his henchmen and explaining he needs to off Villain 2, while Villain 2 is shown poisoning the dinner while telling his babe-friend that they money will soon be all theirs.

10 pages later, the comic is over.

Novels are "tell, don't show", while movies are "show, don't tell". Comics are a perfect blend of both, but have lost the novel portion of the deal where we can really get inside the character's head.

I prefer the old school approach of a couple of thought balloons telling us what they're really thinking. It gives added range, lends to "tight comic writing" and can even be quite humorous when used correctly.

Your post brings back memories of an amusing exchange between Dr. Doom and Kang the Conqueror in one of the "Infinity" miniseries. In practically every panel the two occupied, they both spoke of mutual cooperation toward a shared goal, but then the thought ballons revealed each was scheming to rid themselves of the other as soon as possible Every exchange between the two was just like that...across several issues in the series!

I think I found it so amusing because anyone who has ever read a Doom or Kang story (and knew the relationship between the two) didn't need a thought ballon to tell them what the respective characters secretly had in mind for the other.

Comics are becoming more like movies (Frank Miller effect) when they really don't have to.

I talked to Will Eisner about this and he said "movies were takeoffs of comics. We were here first." - I was redfaced for a bit but agreed with him!

Thought balloons are one of the advantages of the genre, as you can show a different take or angle on a scene using a pretty simple technique.

Actually, in film, the same effect is used in a voiceover, where the character speaks what is on his mind.

Comics are becoming more like movies (Frank Miller effect) when they really don't have to. Thought balloons are one of the advantages of the genre, as you can show a different take or angle on a scene using a pretty simple technique.

Let's say two bad guys are working together to get Spidey, but are actually looking to off each other later on. Pretty common plot point, but it would take multiple panels and boring exposition to get the point across.

Instead, Modern's have Villain 1 calling his henchmen and explaining he needs to off Villain 2, while Villain 2 is shown poisoning the dinner while telling his babe-friend that they money will soon be all theirs.

10 pages later, the comic is over.

Novels are "tell, don't show", while movies are "show, don't tell". Comics are a perfect blend of both, but have lost the novel portion of the deal where we can really get inside the character's head.

"Thought balloons are tools for weak writers," he said, though deep down he realized that his own weaknesses were thoughts of a toolish nature.

"Thought balloons are tools for weak writers," he said, though deep down he realized that his own weaknesses were thoughts of a toolish nature.

Cheer up, Mister Major, for your toolishness is the result of a weak nature! ::hmmm...maybe you were better off before I said anything?:: grin.gif

Cheer up, Mister Major, for your toolishness is the result of a weak nature! ::hmmm...maybe you were better off before I said anything?:: grin.gif

Oh yeah? Well... YOUR toolish nature is... toolish.

893frustrated.gif

WHERE'S MY 'LUDES?!?!??!

Pov, seriously, where's my 'ludes? My neck bone hurts.

I feel for ya, man. I really do. frown.gifflowerred.gif

WHERE'S MY 'LUDES?!?!??!

Just for you I will take one of my few remaining hydrocodones. insane.gif

I swear, Pov, you just don't make a lick o' sense sometimes. confused-smiley-013.gif

Speaking of sense, does it make sense to dip a corn dog in pancake batter and deep fry it? Of course not. Is it the taste sensation that is sweeping the nation?

You betcha! thumbsup2.gif

I feel for ya, man. I really do. frown.gifflowerred.gif

WHERE'S MY 'LUDES?!?!??!

Just for you I will take one of my few remaining hydrocodones. insane.gif

I swear, Pov, you just don't make a lick o' sense sometimes. confused-smiley-013.gif

Speaking of sense, does it make sense to dip a corn dog in pancake batter and deep fry it? Of course not. Is it the taste sensation that is sweeping the nation?

You betcha! thumbsup2.gif

No no, Majorosity! You don't LICK hydrocodone! 893frustrated.gif

I confes that, while it has been a LONG while since I have offered a recipe here (mainly due to work insanity that is keeping me making simple and already revelaed dishes). my heart and soul rebel at - I almost cannot SAY it - at the Corn Dog! (THERE - I Said it! Happy?)

POV! DON'T!

Never speak ill of the corn dog! Oh my... someone fetch Mama's faintin' couch... I've got the vapors somethin' awful here...

Pov, see what you did to Mama? Honestly. You can't just let me be happy in my epicurean revelry, can you? >sigh< Fine. What if I add just a pinch of chutney to my corn dog? A sprig of parsley? Serve it with what, a bottle of red? Bottle of white?

POV! DON'T!

Never speak ill of the corn dog! Oh my... someone fetch Mama's faintin' couch... I've got the vapors somethin' awful here...

Pov, see what you did to Mama? Honestly. You can't just let me be happy in my epicurean revelry, can you? >sigh< Fine. What if I add just a pinch of chutney to my corn dog? A sprig of parsley? Serve it with what, a bottle of red? Bottle of white?

If you MUST, then I would I suggest a wine in keeping with the epicurean delights of the insane.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif CORN DOG...Ripple or Thunderbird.

POV! DON'T!

If you MUST, then I would I suggest a wine in keeping with the epicurean delights of the insane.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif CORN DOG...Ripple or Thunderbird.

Ah, wine served in a styrofoam cup... there is nothing finer.

Or IS there? Hmmm? Giant turkey leg, anyone?

And Pov, are you familiar with the Major Khaos All-Orange Diet? You only eat foods that are one or all of the following:

[*]orange flavored (artificially or no, but preferrably artificially)

[*]packaged in orange wrapping

[*]orange-shaped