• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which books should I sell?

59 posts in this topic

I've got to raise some money for my daughter's college tuition and have always said that I would sell some of my comics to help pay for college. My question is this...

Should I slab and sell ASM#1 (probably a "good" 2.0), X-Men #1 (same), JIM #83 (VG to fine), and maybe a few others, or Superman #199 (9.2 to 9.4), Green Lantern #76 (9.0 - 9.2, maybe better), Iron Fist #14 (9.4), ASM #121 (9.4) and 129 (9.2)?

Which group of these do you think would help the most towards college tuition?

Thanks

First...Sell the Lantern 76 to me raw. grin.gif

Then take that money and send off a few of the others.

Sell those and take the money and slab the rest for resale.

Yes, they are worth slabbing.

However, you may get more the the ASM and X-Men #1s in raw.

But, you will definately clean house with a slabbed JIM 83.

Should I slab and sell ASM#1 (probably a "good" 2.0), X-Men #1 (same), JIM #83 (VG to fine), and maybe a few others, or Superman #199 (9.2 to 9.4), Green Lantern #76 (9.0 - 9.2, maybe better), Iron Fist #14 (9.4), ASM #121 (9.4) and 129 (9.2)?

The first thing to note, is that these are all key issues and MUST be sold on EBay to get the highest return. On books like the JIM 83 or GL 76 (depending on CGC grade), you could get some serious attention.

Raw: ASM #1, X-Men #1

Slabbed: JIM 83 and the rest.

Definitely get that ASM 129 slabbed ASAP and toss it on EBay to hit the movie hype.

Thanks for the advice.

How do you join the collector's society?

And, I will scan these books and try to figure out how to post them over the next couple of days. I'm not very computer literate. Can I attach a file when sending a post?

U can attach a jpg of your comic after reading the FAQs.

U should be able to apply online to join the Cgc Collectors' Society. I had problems online, so customer service just faxed me the application. I signed it & mailed it back to Florida. gossip.gif

With student loan interest rates sitting at around 2%, you ought to consider hanging on to some of these...

The ASM 121 and 129, and IF 14 are all good choices to sell now...

But the first student loan payment would be due 5 years from today (6 months after graduation), and ASM 1, JIM 83, and X-Men 1 have never failed to appreciate by more than 10% in a 5-year period. They've never even failed to appreciate by more than 25% in a 5-year period. And in the grades you're describing, we're not talking about speculator bubbles, just long-term demand.

It's up to you to determine your risk tolerance, but solid reader copies of pre-1968 Silver Age Marvel #1's are as close to a safe investment as you can get, and they've been outpacing inflation for decades. They'll more than cover the accrued interest on that loan.

The ASM 121, 129 and IF 14 are far more iffy. There is absolutely some speculation involved today, and 129 actually books lower now than it did 10 years ago, so it's hardly a safe bet to hang onto for the longer term.

The GL 76 I would personally hold, but there are some rabid buyers out there right now, so I wouldn't fault anyone who picked now as the time to sell. Supes 199 is the same way (although not to the same degree).

Definitely get that ASM 129 slabbed ASAP and toss it on EBay to hit the movie hype.

I currently have an ASM 129 in CGC 9.2. How much longer is the movie hype going to hold - it seems to me the the prices are still going up, so should I hang on a few more months? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When is the damn film out anyway?

I currently have an ASM 129 in CGC 9.2. How much longer is the movie hype going to hold - it seems to me the the prices are still going up, so should I hang on a few more months? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When is the damn film out anyway?

April 2004.

As for selling it, watch for preview trailers and other photos and get rid of it quick if they start appearing. I remember when the Dulldevil trailer (and dent-head Bullseye) appeared, it deflated the market within a few minutes.

This movie is gonna suck hard, so time it right.

My recommendation: Early November, as the hype should be kicking and it's in time for Xmas dollars. If you wait til after Xmas, you might not get half what you do right now.