• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIME TO UPGRADE TO 9.6??

37 posts in this topic

I'd certainly like to see it go for alot..I think this 9.6 is defenitly sweet,I wouldn't mind having it,I'd have to agree with DiceX,He's selling it too early,Spider-man 2 will most likey make more than the 1st one.As far as protecting my investment at this point im really not concerned about it,what is a good investment now will be 20 years from now,I'll eventually use the 9.4 14 to get something else instead like a 9.2 JIM 83,X-men 1 9.0/9.2,Maybe FF 4 9.4 or even an early Hulk in 9.4.

You mean you don't have enough money to buy these now? smile.gif

Just kidding.

I definitely like the books you wouldn't mind getting even if you had to part with your ASM #14.

He's selling it too early,Spider-man 2 will most likey make more than the 1st one.

Just an FYI that the vast majority of sequels don't come anywhere near the BO glory of the original. There are exceptions, and these are usually "sleeper hits" that aren't expected to hit big, and the momentum for the sequel has a chance to beat those numbers.

It's exceedingly rare that a movie that raked in $400+ million domestic is going to be outpaced by its sequel. Especially for a movie written by the producer's husband. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Joe - - yer just so negative. I bet you dont think the Punisher movie will do well either!!! Dolph Lundgren RULES!

Yeah, I'm negative, and those who think Spider-man 2 will rake in excess of $400 million are the right-thinkers? grin.gif

Spider-man was a case of right-place/right-time, along with an "origin within a story" people could relate to, and to expect lightning to hit twice is a bit far-fetched IMHO.

Plus, SM2 is written by the producer's husband, over the director's protests. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Scenarios like that rarely work out.

...unless they do! As they say in Hollywood: "Nobody knows anything." The list of movies that were supposed to suck big time and never had a chance is endless (Lord of the Rings, Titanic to name 2 of the biggest turnarounds) Almost as long as the list of sure fire hits that opened with a thud.

you're right about the law of sequels. Buts thats not true for the exceptions that break the law.

JC-- I was pulling your stronce about being negative, Im not rooting or betting on SPidey 2 one way or the other.

Back to the topic at hand... who cares if Spidey 2 is coming out? What does that have to do with this book? Beyond even the fact that sequels don't do quite the same for comic sales as the originals films do, this book (along with 121 and 122)was helped more than probably any other by the first Spider-Man movie BECAUSE THE GREEN GOBLIN WAS THE VILLAIN. People got all wrapped up in the pre-movie hype and bid this SPECIFIC book into the stratosphere. Sure, all Spider-Man books were hot, but not many were as hot as this one. Expecting the Doc Ock sequel to recreate the magic for THIS book doesn't really make much sense.

I fully expect the studio to run the Spider-Man franchise into the ground the same way Warner Bros killed Batman.

I expect Spidey 2 to make some money. When it does, expect 3. Then 4. As long as the cash keeps coming, they'll keep making sequels. All the original talent will move on, but that won't stop anyone. They'll hire cheaper unknowns and keep plugging along. The whole point of a franchise is to keep milking the legacy of the original.

By 3 the "plot" will become boilerplate Hollywood hack practice material where they take any two semi-recognizable baddies and have a 2 hour bang-pow campy slugfest, which is what non-comic book fans think comic books are all like.

By 3 the "plot" will become boilerplate Hollywood hack practice material where they take any two semi-recognizable baddies and have a 2 hour bang-pow campy slugfest, which is what non-comic book fans think comic books are all like.

Yep, they got extremely lucky and had one of the few quality writers take on Spider-man, a luxury they don't have this time out. Expect the sequels to become only hackier...

Nice looking book!

I still do not understand selling a 5 figure book with a tiny scan, especially when he is hosting the larger pic??? Huh?

Agreed, notch-top... and worrisome, IMHO... yet another downside to the expansion of the numeric grade and omission of the alpha grade on new CGC slabs is the inclination of some sellers to just post the tiny scan... "hey, you can read the grade in the scan, so it's big enough!" Indeed, if you have a 9.6 that you (or anyone else) might consider to be at all overgraded, you're probably better off just posting the small scan.

As for whether Spiderman 2 (the movie) would/will affect the price of this or other ASMs, JC's original point is well taken, but it seems as though the *hype* leading up to such films fuels the price hikes more than the actual fim anyway... ?

OK, looks like a great comic, but what about that lower left corner? As has been discussed numerous times, if resubmitted, would this still reach a 9.6? What if there is the slightest of damage in the mail? Would you be able to collect from the Post Office if the comic picked up a tiny ding? Just a slight ding could knock this book way down.

Just curious...

Mike

He's selling it too early,Spider-man 2 will most likey make more than the 1st one.

Just an FYI that the vast majority of sequels don't come anywhere near the BO glory of the original. There are exceptions, and these are usually "sleeper hits" that aren't expected to hit big, and the momentum for the sequel has a chance to beat those numbers.

It's exceedingly rare that a movie that raked in $400+ million domestic is going to be outpaced by its sequel. Especially for a movie written by the producer's husband. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

then explain why blade 2, x-men 2, Matrix reloaded ect.. all have more than the first ones??

I'm sorry, but I've never seen a $400+ million exception.

Well then apparently you're not paying attention. There have been exactly 5 movies that have grossed 400+ million. Four of those have NOT had a sequel. The one that did have a sequel, the sequel ended up grossing OVER 400 million. Spidey 2 will be the second 400+ mill movie to have a sequel. So what exactly are you basing you're "i've never seen a $400+ million exception" on???