• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.5

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

243 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

68 posts in this topic

This is getting harder.

Crumb can go at this point.... the historical and hobby significance of his work is now outweighed by his (lack of) artistic skill.

sorry, but this is the most unenlightened post I have read on the boards, In terms of ability he is unparalleled. Interms of influence, MAYBE Kirby tops him.

Please.

I've noted his hobby/historical significance. It's unarguable. It really nets him no added respect in my books in terms of artistic ability. I don't see him as much different than Eastman/Laird/TMNT - certainly he left his mark, but for sheer ability....

Please! Comparing Crumb's work to such artists as Eastman and Laird is totally specious. His work was constantly changing and evolving, and in many respects he was and is the man who had more of a sense of Americana than any other artist.

It's difficult placing Crumb in the context of this poll (although it's good that he's in it) as his sensibilities were so different, plus his most classical and mature work was in the '80s, when he developed a more refined style.

Robert Crumb, because the title says vote off your LEAST favorite ...and I find his work annoying..(talented yes, but tthat's not what the instructions say)...and I loved Seurat, btw...who ever posted that. I think Crumb can draw, but color is very important to me in loving an artist, and when Dr Svord posted that picture, it pointed out the two things I didn't enjoy, the use of black and white and those choppy lines he used, with the body hair, etc...just always annoyed me.. and Adams, cause he's just too late in SA for me, there are many others I liked first and better, that were around earler and longer...BA would be different.

Again I'll have to go with Joe Maneely since he died before the Silver Age took off.

And I guess Crumb never did get into the underground stuff and that's pretty much my only reason.

Can someone post a Maneely or Crumb please? I'm not familiar with their work. :wishluck: Thx.

Repost (sorry, no riposte):

Here's a page with lots of great R Crumb pages.

Some favorites:

47398-RobertCrumbHarlem(4)_jpg.jpg

47397-RobertCrumbBulgaria(1)_jpg.jpg

47399-RobertCrumbKafka(16)_jpg.jpg

Better include some sequential art with word balloons:

47396-RobertCrumbFritzCat(8)_jpg.jpg

That guy can DRAW!

Jack

Please save Ayers!!!

Ghost Rider and Hitler! Plus he probably finished half of the most famous Marvel Silver Age covers, Avengers #1 FF#1. Give the man a break!

ghostrider01.jpg

You've pulled out the only reason that I wouldn't vote off Ayers -- Ghost Rider (Magazine Enterprises and Marvel western version, not that #$%^& flamehead) is by far my favorite Ayers work. But somebody's got to go this round.

Jack

This is getting harder.

Crumb can go at this point.... the historical and hobby significance of his work is now outweighed by his (lack of) artistic skill.

what lack of skill?? Have you seen his sketchbooks? Or seen the movie? Theres a great scene where he and his son both copy an old daguerrotype (sepia print photo) of an Wild West hooker. They both do a fine job.. looks just like th epicture. But Robert points out to his son that he just copies th epose etc.. and sure enough, looking at his drawing you can really feel the personality he captured with his squiggly lines that many feel prove he cant draw.

WAS Seurat not a painter because he used dots of paint?

Anyway, I agree Crumbs workl doesnt look like much compared to say a Neal Adams or a very realistic artists, but RCumbs work will long outlive 90% of the other guys on this list. He wont win this contest,, ( I wont vote for him to win either) but not because he "cant draw." Im just surprised hes getting so many early votes.

http://www.zubeworld.com/crumbmuseum/hurt.jpg

Oh, don't get me wrong.... I'm not saying he can't draw.... and I probably should have taken more time with my comments. I just don't think his skill allows him to continue on against the other artists in this list. It's sorta like being one of the last cuts from an all-star team....

YOW!

"his (lack of) artistic skill"...."I'm not saying he can't draw"

I don't get it.

(Responding to several comments, not just yours.)

Vote Crumb off because he doesn't fit into the Silver Age. In the sense that most people think that Silver Age = 'Second Heroic Age of Comics' (a legitimate point of view), he doesn't. Personally, I don't think that the Silver Age punched a time clock. Some books entered the Silver Age early, some entered it late, some never entered. Ditto on leaving. I actually like the "Stoned Age" subject line that's used for posting undergrounds here.

Vote him off because he's a misogynist.

Vote him off because he works (almost) only in black and white. (Of course, his covers are in color.)

47880-17228_4_001.jpg

47879-zap2.jpg

47878-zapcomix0.gif

47877-zap0-bck.jpg

Vote him off because you don't like his style, and above all this is a "favorites" contest.

But don't vote him off because he can't draw. That argument doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I'm hoping that Crumb survives to the top ten. I'm equally hoping that I find an Action Comics 1 stashed away in the corner next time I'm rummaging around in the attic.

Jack

Vote him off because you don't like his style, and above all this is a "favorites" contest.

But don't vote him off because he can't draw. That argument doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Well said, Jack. (thumbs u

Crumb took the art form off on a tangent and ran with it,

he deserves some love for his creativity and innovation as well as his style, a style

which definitely spoke to the era in which he was working.

Crumb took the art form off on a tangent and ran with it,

he deserves some love for his creativity and innovation as well as his style, a style

which definitely spoke to the era in which he was working.

While strongly building on the history of the medium (Wolverton, Segar, Herriman, Sterrett, even John Stanley).

Crumb's always been a polarizing figure. Plus ça change...

Jack

Zap came out in '67, so he belongs in this poll. I think he's an acquired taste, and maybe people haven't been exposed to his art enough (shrug)

AND he didn't draw for DC or Marvel AND he didn't draw superheroes.

Possibly the best at flat-out drawing (pencil and ink, not painting) of anyone on the list.

In my opinion, he should last a few more rounds.

Jack

In terms of sheer artistic talent, Crumb is right up there with Frazetta. Personally, I find Crumb's comic work to be grotesque, and I'm not into undergrounds. But based on his sheer talent and the groundbreaking nature of his work, he should easily be in the Top 10. He would definitely be in mine.

Uuuhhh, Tim, wasn't it made painstakingly clear from the get-go that this is a "Favorite Artist" contest??? as such, one's artistic abilities take a back seat to one's popularity..........................to me this is just an exercise to see who gets to square off against Kirby at the end.................... :grin:

Joe Maneely is the late 50's version of Geof Darrow. I don't know of a single other artist of that age with the exception of Bill Everett that got that much fine detail into his covers.

that Curt Swan would last beyond Robert Crumb is something of a small travesty, and i respect Mr. Swan a great deal

I mostly voted Crumb off because like Corben he is an aquired taste. I've just never aquired the taste for either of these artist's works.

I work next to an art school, they have some really cool work in the gallery at times and at other times,,,,well it's just not my cup of tea.

While I have my Frontier Western open, I scanned this page. Let's play the: Who drew this? game. It's easy.

So, guys, who do you think drew this splash?

Jack Davis?

i was going to go with Alex Toth

While I have my Frontier Western open, I scanned this page. Let's play the: Who drew this? game. It's easy.

Jack Davis?

As I scrolled down the image and came to the face, I thought it was Toth, but then then lines on the clothes reminded me of Davis. (shrug)

Jack Davis?

As I scrolled down the image and came to the face, I thought it was Toth, but then then lines on the clothes reminded me of Davis. (shrug)

It's Don Heck! Nice to see people confuse him with Davis and Toth. Those guys aren't bad company.