• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blazing Bob's 30 centers

20 posts in this topic

Too bad you get creamed on the 35 cent front! tonofbricks.gif

sorry.gif I've been asked to back off by the 35 cent variant mafia (lighthouse and thug friends) - they will snipe you for real if I win one more ebay 35 center auction ... it is only for your safety that I've been getting creamed...

Too bad you get creamed on the 35 cent front! tonofbricks.gif

sorry.gif I've been asked to back off by the 35 cent variant mafia (lighthouse and thug friends) - they will snipe you for real if I win one more ebay 35 center auction ... it is only for your safety that I've been getting creamed...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll deal with them first so you can be free! Of course, the others will still cream you UNLESS they already have it! thumbsup2.gif

Just to throw some reality into this thread, I got my "start" getting back into comics on eBay about three years ago developing a relatively high grade collection of ASM 1-200, most in VF or better, many in 9.4 or better. As this was somewhat close to the big move towards CGC, I began to do quite a bit of buying and submitting for my personal use (versus to resell) for the peace of mind of knowing exactly what I had gotten.

I know a few people will take exception to this, but I will stand by it; with exception of a very few known high quality graders (of which I can count on one hand), whatever grade you see a comic book advertised for on eBay or condition sold as in a comic book retail store, you can safely deduct at least 2.0 to get the proper grade. This tends to be closer to 1.0 on books graded less than VG/F (5.0).

Therefore if a book is advertised as VF/NM, there is a good chance it would grade out at 7.0 at CGC. How do I know this? I have personally submitted over 500 books to CGC. Even to this day, I estimate beforehand what I believe it will come out at and I am usually 0.25 off on the grade. I count 9.0, 9.2 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 as 0.5 increments for the purpose of statistical analysis. I have never undergraded a batch despite my own brutal grading.

The lesson: Don't underestimate the scarcity of a 9.4 copy of any book 30 years old, even if it is widely available, especially for the variant catagoies. I don't think there is a single 9.8 in any variant despite the fact that severalr normal issues range as high as 9.8 to 9.9.

While Paul may have a 9.6 copy of this, I would not bet my life on it.

BTW, I happen to own a copy of this in CGC 9.6. It was sold to me by one of the people that had graded very accurately and conservatively , Warlord!

I have 2 raw copies of Eternals 1 but I see enough flaws on them to give them a 9.2 AT BEST...but I hear ya on the overgrading...I've had to adjust some of the ones on my list that were sold to me a grade or two higher to accurately reflect what I thought the grade IS.

To give additional credit where due, Dr. Banner usually does an excellent job with grades, although even his have been about 0.5 to 1.0 short in cases where submitted. The absoulte finest grading accolades go to Langes Sports (zilla4 I believe). Incredibly, his books have turned out to actually be undergraded in just about every case I have bought and submitted.

One point in case are a couple books Carlos (not picking on Carlos, of course) has put up that grade at 0.5 due to missing pages. I can almost bet that missing pages were not mentioned in the sale by the seller. Again, how do I know? Personal experince of course, with a Superman number 8. Not a good book to get "burned" on.

The lesson: Don't underestimate the scarcity of a 9.4 copy of any book 30 years old, even if it is widely available, especially for the variant catagoies. I don't think there is a single 9.8 in any variant despite the fact that severalr normal issues range as high as 9.8 to 9.9.

While I agree that there are very, very few variants in 9.4 or better, I don't doubt there are a few in 9.8 that have not been graded...

Some eye candy:

ASM158.jpg

MP30.jpg

MS29.jpg

MS29.jpg

While I agree that there are very, very few variants in 9.4 or better, I don't doubt there are a few in 9.8 that have not been graded...

Some eye candy:

Nice books, but because you (or anyone else on this forum) don't know how to grade, according to Glenn_Malloy, you need to sell me those F- books. tongue.gif

Some eye candy:

Nice books, but because you (or anyone else on this forum) don't know how to grade, according to Glenn_Malloy, you need to sell me those F- books. tongue.gif

lol... Oh, don't give Glenn a hard time... It's been a year or two since I last made a deal with him but he's a good guy... I just think he hasn't had enough experience with the kind of dealers who can grade, and strangely we have a few of those here on the forums. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've been asked to back off by the 35 cent variant mafia (lighthouse and thug friends) - they will snipe you for real if I win one more ebay 35 center auction ... it is only for your safety that I've been getting creamed...

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Don't worry buddy, you'll get first dibs on the 35 centers left in my collection, and believe me when I say, there are plenty of doozie's where that Star Wars 1 came from...

Just to throw some reality into this thread, I got my "start" getting back into comics on eBay about three years ago developing a relatively high grade collection of ASM 1-200, most in VF or better, many in 9.4 or better. As this was somewhat close to the big move towards CGC, I began to do quite a bit of buying and submitting for my personal use (versus to resell) for the peace of mind of knowing exactly what I had gotten.

I know a few people will take exception to this, but I will stand by it; with exception of a very few known high quality graders (of which I can count on one hand), whatever grade you see a comic book advertised for on eBay or condition sold as in a comic book retail store, you can safely deduct at least 2.0 to get the proper grade. This tends to be closer to 1.0 on books graded less than VG/F (5.0).

Therefore if a book is advertised as VF/NM, there is a good chance it would grade out at 7.0 at CGC. How do I know this? I have personally submitted over 500 books to CGC. Even to this day, I estimate beforehand what I believe it will come out at and I am usually 0.25 off on the grade. I count 9.0, 9.2 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 as 0.5 increments for the purpose of statistical analysis. I have never undergraded a batch despite my own brutal grading.

While Paul may have a 9.6 copy of this, I would not bet my life on it.

BTW, I happen to own a copy of this in CGC 9.6. It was sold to me by one of the people that had graded very accurately and conservatively , Warlord!

Hey Glenn,

Sorry I haven't been able to respond to your last email, but since I just noticed this post of yours, I'll give you some of my thoughts here.

I have to agree with Lighthouse's comments regarding the HG variant rarity issue. Don't get me wrong, HG variants are a big challenge--as I've said on my site and as suggested by Jon McClure, the bulk of variants were not bought by collectors, but naive kids who lovingly used and abused them. Still, there are many more out there than you may realize. Thanks to my recent move, I've been able to go through dozens of boxes I haven't looked at in over three years. I've finally been able to sort out dupes and compare grades. While I don't currently have the time to record and individually grade books right now, a quick review of what I've come across has led me to have absolutely no doubt that the average grade of my 30 cent variants is probably 9.0-9.2. Much of this is due to dumb luck. Many of my westerns and horrors came from a store that had clearly unread copies for $1 each. Plus, (I have to agree with you on Todd's grading) before too many others were collecting variants, I was lucky enough to be able to complete a deal with Todd for over 80 variants, all of which were grossly undergraded and shockinkgly beautiful. Once I factor out my lesser grade dupes, I'd have to say the average grade is in the low end of NM.

My point in stating this isn't to brag. It's just to demonstrate that a fair number of high grade issues can be found if you put in 6 years of constant searching and upgrading. When you combine this with the dozens of collectors who have contacted me who wish to remain anonymous while relating their finds to me (granted, I don't understand this mentality either-I guess everyone is not like you, FD, Lighthouse, Darth, BV, or myself), and I don't think any of us really have any idea of what is out there. Unlike you, I really don't think collectors of BA in general, and variants in particular, should underestimate the number of HG books out there. There are so many collections that no one knows about that have not seen the light of day and so many collectors who aren't online that it will be some time before we have a real sense of what is out there. And the CGC census does not help much. I would dare say that most collectors, even many of us on this forum, feel little need to slab their books. In fact, as you mention, the vast majority of variants that have been submitted are yours-that means VERY few other collectors, myself included, have not submitted their books. I would also guess that Motor City has not slabbed theirs either. Just because books aren't submitted, doesn't suggest they don't exist.