• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peanuts Sunday goes for $100K+

24 posts in this topic

But is a Sunday PEANUTS strip worth $100K? Yeah, I know, it's worth it if someone pays the money...but, personally, I think this is krazy.

Yes, I know, everyone loves PEANUTS. I love PEANUTS. But there isn't CALVIN & HOBBS rarity here (and, if allowed to choose, I'd get myself a C&H strip before I'd grab a Snoopy piece); Schulz released many of his originals into the world. Heck, three years back, I saw a Sunday original mounted to the wall of a bank in California -- and the thing that stuck in my mind was that Schulz' pen work looked kinda wiggly. I certainly didn't think I was looking at six figures of pen and paper!

You want a bargain? You can pick up a daily POGO strip for under $700. A framed ZITS

...as I was saying...a framed ZITS daily for $500. There's a 1939 Li'l Abner currently on the 'bay (with no bids) at $395.

In your heart of hearts, do you truly think Charlie Brown is worth all that green? If YOU had the cash, is that the way you'd spend it?

and the thing that stuck in my mind was that Schulz' pen work looked kinda wiggly

That was by design to give some life to the linework to his very simple (but effective) drawings.

I'm not going to tackle whether or not a Peanuts Sunday is worth $100K+, but, much as I love Pogo and Calvin and Hobbes, neither one has the resonance and cultural significance that Peanuts has.

While I enjoy the artwork of a Pogo or C&H strips more than Peanuts, I do think there is something special in the best of Schulz's work. It's been a pleasure reading the Complete Peanuts and seeing how fresh and insightful his 50s work is. Peanuts and C&H are beyond my means but I will one day pick up Pogo strip.

Good grief. 113k. That is almost beyond words. I love Peanuts also...but would never consider paying that type of money to get a Sunday strip. As some have mentioned before...I would also prefer a Calvin & Hobbes piece. I can't wait till those pieces get released in mass to the market.

Good grief. 113k. That is almost beyond words. I love Peanuts also...but would never consider paying that type of money to get a Sunday strip. As some have mentioned before...I would also prefer a Calvin & Hobbes piece. I can't wait till those pieces get released in mass to the market.

Sadly, I'm not sure that's ever likely to happen since Watterson has left the art to an institution (Ohio University?).

Joseph