• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was in my comic shop today and they had an AF 15!

22 posts in this topic

They almost never have early Silver Marvels.

Usually nothing worth over $200...

It's a Poor/Fair with some inside cut outs and loose pages but the story is 100% complete.

Looks like a Good/G+ if it had all it's parts.

Something I maybe can afford. cloud9.gif

The "BOSS" wasn't in today so I couldn't take it out of the bag and look at it or get an asking price. tonofbricks.gif

It's never safe to assume that a local shop has no significant Silver age stock just because you don't see it in the store. If they left it in the store, then you're running a significant risk that people will break in and steal it while the store is closed.

If you're in a local shop and you're a buyer of more expensive books, always ask the owner what they have. It might be in the back, it might be at home, it might be in storage, or it might be in the bank...but very few store owners keep the good stuff in plain sight.

He has the Silver/Golden stuff in a locked case along the wall behind the counter.

Normally there is not much in there so you can see at least half a cover of most everything and I caught that AF 15 in seconds like a eagle eyed 18 year old! grin.gif

95% is mostly $10-$20 junk Silver.

An occasional FF 48 VG or ASM 121/129/Hulk 181 FVF but that is about it.

That AF 15 floored me...

I hope I wasn't drooling. blush.gif

He also had a low grade ASM 4 if someone was interested.

Looked about GVGish...

Retailers should be hanging up graded & priced color laser copies of their back issue gems on their walls. Keep the key issues locked up tight to prevent theft. A local comicshop has had someone dash out the door with a stolen laser copy of a CGC book. confused-smiley-013.gif

Retailers should be hanging up graded & priced color laser copies of their back issue gems on their walls. Keep the key issues locked up tight to prevent theft. A local comicshop has had someone dash out the door with a stolen laser copy of a CGC book. confused-smiley-013.gif

Paradise? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He has the Silver/Golden stuff in a locked case along the wall behind the counter.

Normally there is not much in there so you can see at least half a cover of most everything and I caught that AF 15 in seconds like a eagle eyed 18 year old! grin.gif

95% is mostly $10-$20 junk Silver.

An occasional FF 48 VG or ASM 121/129/Hulk 181 FVF but that is about it.

That AF 15 floored me...

I hope I wasn't drooling. blush.gif

He also had a low grade ASM 4 if someone was interested.

Looked about GVGish...

Queen City? They had a ton of early Marvel when I was in there a couple of weeks ago. X-Men 1 VG-, Avengers 1 & 2 (at least) mid-low grade, Amazing Fantasy 15 etc. Seemed like a gold mine for affordable keys, "affordable" being a relative term. They wanted a grand for the X-Men 1.

This isn't meant to be an a-hole comment but is it really uncommon for a comic shop to have low grade keys in stock? I'm serious I don't know. My local comic shope has Fine+ copies of ASM #1, Hulk #1, TOS #39, JIM #83 and X-Men #1. They had AF #15 like four times and keep selling it. Is this uncommon?

Eric

This isn't meant to be an a-hole comment but is it really uncommon for a comic shop to have low grade keys in stock? I'm serious I don't know. My local comic shope has Fine+ copies of ASM #1, Hulk #1, TOS #39, JIM #83 and X-Men #1. They had AF #15 like four times and keep selling it. Is this uncommon?

Eric

Place I used to go to, many moons ago, never had anything. All I ever saw was a ratty ASM 1 for $200 and a ratty Avengers 4 for $150. Picked up both and flipped 'em. Never saw any keys there before or since. I think they got lucky with an estate sale box or something.

On the other hand, there's a guy I deal with today who regularly produces things like All-American 16, Mickey Mouse magazine V1 #1, Superman 2, early Master Comics (the oversize ones), etc. Who knows where he gets them.

Rather uncommon! I'd guess that less than 10% of the comic shops in the US have stock like that.

On an unrelated note...NICE sig line!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif I'm tired of that dirty clobberintime outbidding me on books I want too!!! frown.giftonofbricks.gif

Eric

Wow, that would be odd here in Winnipeg. Obviously the market over there for back-issues is much stronger than here. The only thing helping the Silver Age collector here in Winnipeg, is we have a few Collectable shows 3 or 4 times a year that sometimes have some nice comics to look at - not always.

So....what city do you live in?

Yeah!

Queen City.

I haven't been in there for awhile.

They must have moved those others X-men 1/Avengers 1.... confused-smiley-013.gif

All I saw was the AF 15 and ASM 4.

Did they tell what they wanted for for the AF 15?

The boss wasn't in while I was there and the #2 guy didn't want to touch the comic.

I guess he was under orders... smirk.gif

my local shops are horrible,there are NO high grade key books here,there just isnat a market down here.i was walking in a shop one day and a guy was walking away saying"no thanks,ill let you know though".i asked the guy behind the counter what he was selling,he told me an AF 15.i was like [!@#%^&^]!how much did you offer him for that??honest response from the clerk"the cover was detached,and the condition was pretty bad,so i offered him 40 bucks".naturally i darted out the store to hopefully get a glimpse of a book i will never be able to afford,and hopefully place a more tempting offer to the gent,but he was long gone.

this is the same day,and the same shop i grabbed a hulk 181 about a 2.0 for 35 bucks.if i were the owner,that kid would be unemployed in a second!

That could be the reason it hasn't sold frown.gif

$500 is a good price to pay. I sold a copy with a g or so exterior (maybe g-) but missing four non-spidey pages for $850 before the spidey movie and was very happy with that. I think 500-550 is a good range to be buying a book like that at. In fact I think I paid $550 for the copy I just mentioned (I flipped the book, only had it about a week). I would suggest holding out until you get that price - AF 15 is in high demand, and not that many people want to sell, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that rare. It just takes money.

if i were the owner,that kid would be unemployed in a second!

If this shop is like most of the other ones these days, they probably sell cards, action figures, t-shirts, and almost everything else under the sun related to science fiction or fantasy, right? If so, to expect a minimum wage employee to have a keen understanding of grading and market prices for comics is unrealistic if your inventory is as diverse as most comic shops are these days.

In my area, there's one local shop (A-1) that has a great selection of silver and a pretty darn good selection of gold. Unless you want modern junk, it's the only place to shop. However, the owner does keep the really good stuff hidden and in a safe. I went in one day and saw a dealer from England going through short boxes pulling out early Marvel silver such as FFs and Spideys under #25, including an FF1 to take home and resell. Everything was low grade and BTS, but they were books I had never seen displayed on the wall. I've learned to ask the owner when I'm looking for special books.