• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.8

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

249 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

84 posts in this topic

So far things are going pretty predictably, but I'm amazed that Infantino and Anderson seem poised to get the boot.

My top 5 would be:

Kubert

Anderson

Kirby

Infantino

Ditko

I'm also surprised that Romita is getting so few votes. Must be all the Spidey fans. To me he's the Marvel version of Curt Swan--solid, nice, iconic, but just not very exciting.

I have to go with Infantino and Kane because they were (along with Julie Schwartz) the DC revival. Kane and Infantino were to DC in terms of its look what Kirby and Ditko were to Marvel. I'm not talking about who was the best artist of the period but who had the most influence both on other artists and on the buying public. And then Kubert because no one has ever drawn the human body with such grace and elegance. Okay, so I contradict myself by choosing Kubert because he's just flat out a brilliant artist. But also he was DC's war lineup. So my top 5:

Kirby

Ditko

Infantino

Kane

Kubert

I've got to say, as unpopular as it might make me, the sooner Romita is voted off the better. I always thought he was the most boring artist (after maybe Don Heck) in the Marvel bullpen. When he took over Spiderman, as far as I was concerned, the book died.

I voted off Adams (again, I don't think he belongs here) and Severin....I like them ALL, but I like him the least...

Infantino was one of my favorites, till the later Flash books, one of the most annoying pieces of Art I owned was Infantino...I bought it because of his name, and I remembered his early work...but I had to sell it...it just bothered me, I couldn't look at that middle panel without cringing...so he will be the next I vote off.

TheFlash349pg18CarmineInfantinoPenc.jpg

I'm rooting for Kane to win, cause Hal Jordan was my first love...he just made his characters come alive for me...

I voted off Adams (again, I don't think he belongs here) and Severin....I like them ALL, but I like him the least...

Infantino was one of my favorites, till the later Flash books, one of the most annoying pieces of Art I owned was Infantino...I bought it because of his name, and I remembered his early work...but I had to sell it...it just bothered me, I couldn't look at that middle panel without cringing...so he will be the next I vote off.

I'm rooting for Kane to win, cause Hal Jordan was my first love...he just made his characters come alive for me...

Umm...that Flash was in the Copper Age. If Infantino was one of your favorites, is it really fair to hold that against him?

It's interesting how many artists went downhill after the Silver Age (Infantino, Swan, Anderson, Kirby). Makes you wonder why.

A few held their own...Kubert and Kane come to mind.

Cant defend Heath with Sea Devils!! Its his war book sthat he excelled on. Much tighter crosshatch and line work... show some GICombat covers! If those dont sell anyone voting him off at this stage, nuthin will.

Sure you can. Well, I can anyway, because it's the only Heath I had left over from my last major collection sell off. Yeah his war books are top notch, but I actually like the loose, sweeping quality of the Sea Devil books. For some reason it seems more immediate. Two different genres, two different stylistic approaches.

I like Sea Devils too, although it was starting to fizzle even before the Go-Go Checks arrived. Purcell wasn't bad at all -- I still think that his cover of 19 resembles Ditko.

(Thinking about it more -- how many have I read vs looking at the covers and putting them in a pile? Not many. Sorta like Rip Hunter...Time Master.)

Jack

They're Kanigher books, so your second paragraph isn't surprising. Have you ever read his Space Voyagers stories? Man, what was that guy smoking?

Cant defend Heath with Sea Devils!! Its his war book sthat he excelled on. Much tighter crosshatch and line work... show some GICombat covers! If those dont sell anyone voting him off at this stage, nuthin will.

Sure you can. Well, I can anyway, because it's the only Heath I had left over from my last major collection sell off. Yeah his war books are top notch, but I actually like the loose, sweeping quality of the Sea Devil books. For some reason it seems more immediate. Two different genres, two different stylistic approaches.

I dont know for sure, but I dont think he inked the Sea Devils, but he did ink his war books later in the 60s... I think Heath just git tighter and tighter... in a good way!

So far things are going pretty predictably, but I'm amazed that Infantino and Anderson seem poised to get the boot.

My top 5 would be:

Kubert

Anderson

Kirby

Infantino

Ditko

I'm also surprised that Romita is getting so few votes. Must be all the Spidey fans. To me he's the Marvel version of Curt Swan--solid, nice, iconic, but just not very exciting.

I have to go with Infantino and Kane because they were (along with Julie Schwartz) the DC revival. Kane and Infantino were to DC in terms of its look what Kirby and Ditko were to Marvel. I'm not talking about who was the best artist of the period but who had the most influence both on other artists and on the buying public. And then Kubert because no one has ever drawn the human body with such grace and elegance. Okay, so I contradict myself by choosing Kubert because he's just flat out a brilliant artist. But also he was DC's war lineup. So my top 5:

Kirby

Ditko

Infantino

Kane

Kubert

I've got to say, as unpopular as it might make me, the sooner Romita is voted off the better. I always thought he was the most boring artist (after maybe Don Heck) in the Marvel bullpen. When he took over Spiderman, as far as I was concerned, the book died.

Lets arrange it so that both Swan and Romita go out together... theyre like matched perfectly presentable bookends.

I love Wood's work for EC, but don't think he belongs in this group. Can anyone name or show any top quality work from Wood from the Silver Age? Not good stuff, like his DD5-7 and the work for smaller publishers, but great stuff that merits his continued presence in this contest? :sumo:

I love Wood's work for EC, but don't think he belongs in this group. Can anyone name or show any top quality work from Wood from the Silver Age? Not good stuff, like his DD5-7 and the work for smaller publishers, but great stuff that merits his continued presence in this contest? :sumo:

Well, we obviously have different definitions of the word "great". :baiting:

In all seriousness, Wood himself felt haunted, for lack of a better term, by his EC work.

Check out this passage from the Joe Orlando interview in the Wally Wood Sketchbook. (Vanguard Press 2000 - J. David Spurlock I believe is the interviewer)

S: Fans like the overworked look.

O: I know.

S: Wally got to hate meeting people and the first thing they would say is 'I loved you EC work.' Some of that was overworking.

O: Yes.

S: In many regards it was an artistic improvement , when he later developed such a beautiful, economy of line, comparable to Alex Toth's.

O: I believe that now. The white space is as important as the black.

Umm...that Flash was in the Copper Age. If Infantino was one of your favorites, is it really fair to hold that against him?

It's interesting how many artists went downhill after the Silver Age (Infantino, Swan, Anderson, Kirby). Makes you wonder why.

A few held their own...Kubert and Kane come to mind.

You have a point about the copper age, but I suppose I have to get rid of SOMEONE...and this is what I think of NOW when I think Infantino:) and you are right, Kane was always consistant:) :cloud9:

The thing is, Wood is such a powerful inker. He drastically changes the pencilled page. I'll scare up a Thunder Agents page later tonight where Wood is inking Steve Ditko. It's pretty surprising.

You think? ...

Here are some examples of Wood on Kirby. The Wood in the signature is not Wally but the writer(s) Dave and Wood -

48155-WoodOnKirby-1.jpg.3abb1be9e0bff98580e8022bdbb395b1.jpg

48156-WoodOnKirby-2.jpg.bcba49f34735e47db162448b94d22a60.jpg

I dont know for sure, but I dont think he inked the Sea Devils, but he did ink his war books later in the 60s... I think Heath just git tighter and tighter... in a good way!

Heath inked his work on Sea Devils. He's one of the few artists that almost always inked his own work throughout his entire career -- so much so that I can't think of an example where he didn't.