• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BREAKING NEWS! Batman #1 CGC 9.0 sells for $300,000!!!

256 posts in this topic

I also agree with Vince & Jon about the Batman # 1 sale. Way overpaid IMO.

Have I ever overpaid ? YES for books I want, I do understand , so I hope the collector /Investor sure loves it because it will be along time before the market catches up with it.A Tec # 27, maybe ! But Bats # 1 is not even Rare in Golden Age as Keys go . I also don't think a trickle down effect will happen with one major sale . It will take several. You will have collectors/dealers try to Hype there Batman #1 's in all grades maybe, but all the hype in the world means zilch if collectors aren't paying that price . BTW I guess I'm a old fogey too . as I been collecting and reading comics since 1965. My 1st comic was Batman # 146 the last 10 cent issue that I remember my Mother read to me . I think that was 1961 , Great Memories !!! Don't get me started on Batman # 156. I Think hm Robin Dies at Dawn . Great story at the Time , & What a Cover!! :cloud9:

Gee, I love Batman , but $300,000 Sheesh!!!

"Restupulous"

Never heard that word. (shrug)

That's because made it up in 1969 in Golden Gate Park. I was feeling pretty good.

Sounds like a insight you had when you dropped that tab of Owlsly!

:o:)

I'm curious why $300,000 is a "silly" price. I sure couldn't afford it. But if I had the money (enough that it wouldn't be a cost of living consideration) and a 9.0 Batman #1 was available that was really pretty with white pages, I must say I would consider it. I would love to own a high-grade copy of Batman 1, and I am happy for whoever was able to afford it. Obviously $300,000 for any comic-book is a silly amount of money, but we wouldn't be having the same conversation if it were an Action 1 or Detective 27.

Most of us have over-paid for a comic we really wanted. If you really want a Batman #1 in top grade, and have to overpay to obtain it, the final sale price is going to be a large amount of dough.

Rich I guess I am a bit jaded, i know it is the first joker, but it is relatively common and in my eyes not on the same level...as a 'tec 27 and action 1

Gary Carter use to talk about not the sales price, but the re-sale price as reflecting true value. So, could this guy turn around and sell it for 300k tomorrow, next week....next year....? If he can in the short term, then I stand corrected.......By 'silly', I did not intend to be disparaging (willing buyer and all that), but I have seen over the years too many new money people get burned and last 3-5 years (tops---How is Al Capps these days????) in "The Hobby".....Jon

hello all....

again, we are looking at this from "our" perspective.... we have no idea if a mutil multi millionaire was not the buyer, to whom $300,000 is just an afterthought?....

I agree it is a very strong price to pay relative to historical prices paid , but a book is worth what someone is willing to pay, and someone was obviously willing to pay that.... and, a batman #1 in 9.0 is very scarce (only 3 have surfaced, and even if 10 more were to, that is still a small number)

rick

Rick , not to be sarcastic and I understand what you mean , but a Fool and his money are soon parted as the saying goes . If this guy spends like this without doing his homework , I hope , he will soon be bankrupt. And yes I have known Millionares in my lifetime and most of them think things through before taking a plunge that I've known. And most can be pretty frugal that I've seen also.

:news::news::news: :news: :news::news::news:

..that is assuming the ComicLink website is correct......yesterday the book was at $240,000, and today it shows as $300,000 / pending sale!

Way to go Josh! :applause:

What I don't understand is why it would take $300K to buy the book if it is only listed for $240 on CL?

It would be nice if Josh could confirm the final sale price on this book for us. :hi: