• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BREAKING NEWS! Batman #1 CGC 9.0 sells for $300,000!!!

256 posts in this topic

I'd love to know who pulled the trigger on that on, or who owned it. It seems a bit high. Still, it shows that buyers are gravitating toward CL and possibly away from Heritage. I don't neccesarily see this high price as being good for the average comic collectors....unless they happen to own these high grade keys, or can play high grade buy, hype and flip. Still, it is Batman and he is an iconic figure in the comic world. Think about the visionaries like Bangzoom, who bought at the right time and held on to his collection.....were I someone like him, I'd be dancing in the streets.

I don't neccesarily see this high price as being good for the average comic collectors

:news: I don`t think 9.0 copies of Batman #1 have been the domain of "average comic collectors" since 1963 or so.

I don't neccesarily see this high price as being good for the average comic collectors

:news: I don`t think 9.0 copies of Batman #1 have been the domain of "average comic collectors" since 1963 or so.

very true!

and, there are 3 census copies at 9.0, with metro reportedly selling one at $175K earlier this year...so, $300K is one heck of a sale! but,as tim said, uber high end sales don't really affect us mere mortal collectors :)

gator

:news: Thank's to the investor class. I do think that there's a trickle down effect that cause prices to go up for even the average collector. In the late sixties, a batman 1 was still accesible for me, a bit pricey...but within reach. Not anymore.

I'd love to know who pulled the trigger on that on, or who owned it.

I'm not 100% sure it's the same book, but a Bat #1 9.0 being placed on comiclink for $300k was discussed in detail in this 2004 thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=509814&page=96&fpart=1

I'd love to know who pulled the trigger on that on, or who owned it.

I'm not 100% sure it's the same book, but a Bat #1 9.0 being placed on comiclink for $300k was discussed in detail in this 2004 thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=509814&page=96&fpart=1

it is the same

gator

If true (and I don't doubt the source), frankly, I think that it is a 'silly' price. But I am an old foggey. I assume it went to a newbie 'investor' in the hobby- not a 'collector'.

Jon

I'm glad I'm not the only old foggey on the boards who doesn't jump for joy every time a book goes for crazy money.

it is definitely one heck of a price...but, there are always those with more money than they know what to do with...so, $3000 or $30,000 or $300,000 to some, it matters not, and to own one of the nicest copies of a key book, is reason enough....

a long time collector either already has a copy or just can't fathom paying more than $10K for any bat 1...but, there is new blood, collector or investor, that really doesn't care about the price, and really doesn't care what we think is "crazy" money (and, that is crazy money)...I would hope it is going to someone who will appreciate the book for what it is, because if they bought for an "investment" my feeling is they paid top of market...so they will need to hold for some time to come...

gator

I remember getting a catalog from someone in 1987 and it had a Batman #1 in GD for $1000 which I could've picked up. But I was soon to sell my Batman collection instead as I was starting college and losing interest. Back then #1 was the last one I'd be interested in since I had the perfect reprint via my Famous First Edition. Now, it would be the one I'd want most in the run. Funny how the mindset changes.

This might be a good place to ask you guys what you think the going rate would be for a copy in VF+ raw, with light restoration. Do sales like the $300,000 cause a trickle down to lesser copies like that one. Not sure what the restoration is, just described as light. Do you guys think $15,000-$20,000?

Marc

I'm curious why $300,000 is a "silly" price. I sure couldn't afford it. But if I had the money (enough that it wouldn't be a cost of living consideration) and a 9.0 Batman #1 was available that was really pretty with white pages, I must say I would consider it. I would love to own a high-grade copy of Batman 1, and I am happy for whoever was able to afford it. Obviously $300,000 for any comic-book is a silly amount of money, but we wouldn't be having the same conversation if it were an Action 1 or Detective 27.

Most of us have over-paid for a comic we really wanted. If you really want a Batman #1 in top grade, and have to overpay to obtain it, the final sale price is going to be a large amount of dough.