• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest Bronze books to get in 9.6+

217 posts in this topic

To gauge the scarcity of a book like Thor 198 in 9.6 condition, you should not only rely on the single copy in the census, but also the impossibility of finding the book raw in grade, and the comparison with the numbers of 9.6 copies of surrounding issues. In this case, all surrounding issues are more abundant in high grade. Thor 199, for instance, has 18 copies graded in 9.6 and above to compare with the lone 9.6 copy of ish 198.

Come on, many other Thor issues from that era have only 2-3 CGC 9.6 copies and no 9.8's like 195, 197, etc., and with more submissions, so are these ultra-rare too?

To use a possible warehouse copy like Thor 199 as the sole comparison is freakishly bizarre, even for these forums.

When your reading comprehension stinks, then I guess you think things are freakishly bizarre. Thor 198 is among the hardest to find Bronze Marvels in 9.6 based on comparative census data, convention observations, and searches for high grade raw copies on E-Bay and dealer websites. Not solely in comparison to the availability of a warehouse find.

There is only one graded copy. Raw NM+ copies are not for sale on anybody's website or E-Bay, and weren't at any of the major conventions I've attended for the past 4 years. Thor 195 and 197 are also tough, since along with 198, they're the only 3 Bronze Thors with a paucity of 9.6 copies in the census.

Are there more NM+ copies of Thor 198 than the census indicates? Certainly. But until they show up either as newly graded 9.6s or as raw NM+ copies for sale in any venue, the book is extremely difficult to acquire in 9.6.

Now, instead of attacking the observations of another, how about offering up some of your own observations on scarcity, savvy and experienced Bronze Age collector that you are? :foryou:

When your reading comprehension stinks

Hey, don't be angry at others just because you write at a 3rd grade level:

To gauge the scarcity of a book like Thor 198 in 9.6 condition, you should not only rely on the single copy in the census, but also the impossibility of finding the book raw in grade, and the comparison with the numbers of 9.6 copies of surrounding issues. In this case, all surrounding issues are more abundant in high grade. Thor 199, for instance, has 18 copies graded in 9.6 and above to compare with the lone 9.6 copy of ish 198.

Once again, Thor 198, a total non-key has 1 CGC 9.6 copies out of 9 total submissions.

Thor 195 has 2 CGC 9.6 copies out of 12 total submissions.

Thor 197 has 3 CGC 9.6 copies out of 14 total submissions.

So sure, Thor 199 is a warehouse copy, and a white cover to boot, making it ultra common, but I am seeing no big change in many surrounding issues, that of course, are not warehouse copies.

Now I am not saying Thor 198 is or is not *rare*, only that using the Census for non-keys is useless. Who is crazy enough to submit these?

All but 120 and 122 of those are Adams.

Rarely do you see them above VF. But when you do, things can get interesting. :blush:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tomahawk-118-CGC-9-2_W0QQitemZ170172045243QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Beautiful copy. I need to submit my 123 (shot at 9.4) and put it on eBay.

Rarely do you see them above VF. But when you do, things can get interesting. :blush:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tomahawk-118-CGC-9-2_W0QQitemZ170172045243QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(worship)

(worship)

Respond to my PM, arsehole.

(worship)

Respond to my PM, arsehole.

What PM? I might have removed myself from that topic so could you send me another? :sorry:

When your reading comprehension stinks

Hey, don't be angry at others just because you write at a 3rd grade level:

Once again, Thor 198, a total non-key has 1 CGC 9.6 copies out of 9 total submissions.

Thor 195 has 2 CGC 9.6 copies out of 12 total submissions.

Thor 197 has 3 CGC 9.6 copies out of 14 total submissions.

So sure, Thor 199 is a warehouse copy, and a white cover to boot, making it ultra common, but I am seeing no big change in many surrounding issues, that of course, are not warehouse copies.

Now I am not saying Thor 198 is or is not *rare*, only that using the Census for non-keys is useless. Who is crazy enough to submit these?

Convincing analysis.

Come on, many other Thor issues from that era have only 2-3 CGC 9.6 copies and no 9.8's like 195, 197, etc., and with more submissions, so are these ultra-rare too?

To use a possible warehouse copy like Thor 199 as the sole comparison is freakishly bizarre, even for these forums.

When your reading comprehension stinks, then I guess you think things are freakishly bizarre. Thor 198 is among the hardest to find Bronze Marvels in 9.6 based on comparative census data, convention observations, and searches for high grade raw copies on E-Bay and dealer websites. Not solely in comparison to the availability of a warehouse find.

There is only one graded copy. Raw NM+ copies are not for sale on anybody's website or E-Bay, and weren't at any of the major conventions I've attended for the past 4 years. Thor 195 and 197 are also tough, since along with 198, they're the only 3 Bronze Thors with a paucity of 9.6 copies in the census.

Are there more NM+ copies of Thor 198 than the census indicates? Certainly. But until they show up either as newly graded 9.6s or as raw NM+ copies for sale in any venue, the book is extremely difficult to acquire in 9.6.

Now, instead of attacking the observations of another, how about offering up some of your own observations on scarcity, savvy and experienced Bronze Age collector that you are? :foryou:

I have also been chasing HG bronze-age Thors and they are very hard to find. I have 183 (1 9.8 & 1 9.6) and 185 & 265 (1 9.8, no 9.6s). Other tough issues are 204 & 275 (no 9.8s or 9.6s), 206, 233, 247 & 271 (no 9.8s, one 9.6)

I have also been chasing HG bronze-age Thors and they are very hard to find. I have 183 (1 9.8 & 1 9.6) and 185 & 265 (1 9.8, no 9.6s). Other tough issues are 204 & 275 (no 9.8s or 9.6s), 206, 233, 247 & 271 (no 9.8s, one 9.6)

Here is strong testimony in favor of the claimed scarcity of the Thor books under debate.

Here is strong testimony in favor of the claimed scarcity of the Thor books under debate.

Only thing this proves is dealers weren't likely to seek out/stock HG Bronze Thor runs. Same phenomenon can be seen in the Bronze Western genre as well. They are historically slow sellers so dealers haven't sought HG copies out or brought them to shows...

Jim