• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC and Wizard

18 posts in this topic

Hiya. I was just wondering whether or not CGC and Wizard have a formal relationship. I did a couple of searches and found repeated references to the two together, but nothing that actually laid things out. I know Wizard has a whole pricing section exclusively for CGC-graded books, but is that part of an actual, formal business relationship, or just an acknowledgment of CGC's impact on the industry?

- SK

Of course they're in bed together, and it's patently obvious the brains behind CGC made sure the organization features ALL the big dealers,along with allying with the major speculation mags like Wizard.

I'ts no big secret, and now let's move on.

CGC advertises in Wizard (as they do in CBG, OS, etc.,.) so yes, they have a formal relationship. If the other grading wannabes were smart, they'd advertise in the various trade journals and publications as well.

At one point Wizard was hyping a "CGC price guide" where they were going to actually lay out average prices for CGC books in various grades, but last time I bought one (years ago), it was pretty scant. As I recall, there were a few prices for a few books in a few grades, but nothing of real value. How is it coming along these days?

A CGC price guide is inevitable, and I suppose that's the next evolution of GPA and/or comicsheets data.

A CGC price guide is inevitable, and I suppose that's the next evolution of GPA and/or comicsheets data.

CBG's Catalog (can't remember the name, help me out someone) that's coming out now (V.2) has CGC prices.

CBG's Catalog (can't remember the name, help me out someone) that's coming out now (V.2) has CGC prices.

Standard Catalog of Comic Books?

The 2nd Edition is due 10/28/2003 according to some book sites.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Standard Catalog of Comic Books?

The 2nd Edition is due 10/28/2003 according to some book sites.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Yes! This new edition will have CGC sales in it. I'm also thinking that I'll get a mention in the long list of contributers to this edition because I took the time to send them some info that wasn't in the first edition. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yes! This new edition will have CGC sales in it.

CGC sales as in GPA type info (actual sales data), or averaged CGC prices? I picked up the last edition with the census numbers, and if they added average sales prices (and number of data points?) then it really would be a nice reference.

Here's a little snip from the Wizard sales site for a set of 9.4 CGC'd books they're selling as a bundle.

Action Comics #662 (Superman reveals himself to Lois Lane)

Batman #497 (Batman Breaks Neck)

Crisis On Infinite Earths #1

Daredevil: Man Without Fear #1 (Frank Miller Series),

Fantastic Four (Vol. 2) #1

Superman: Man of Steel #1 (Chest Cover)

Web of Spider-Man #1

Total Retail Value is over $220. Buy now at a special price of $99.95. That is less than $15 per book, the grading alone will cost you more than that! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get these special books at a crazy low price!

If you accept that they're not selling this stuff at a loss then Wizard is getting a pretty deep discount from CGC on slabbing costs. They probably do a big volume on their 1/2 and other books with CGC grading too, I think it's a business to business relationship.

dave h

The last few issues of Wizard have featured a "CGC" Price Guide, for certain books in high grade. It's right in the back of it's overall price guide. Mostly it's for high grade Modern books, like Marvel's Ultimate line of books. Prices are for 9.6's and 9.8's.

Yes! This new edition will have CGC sales in it.

CGC sales as in GPA type info (actual sales data), or averaged CGC prices? I picked up the last edition with the census numbers, and if they added average sales prices (and number of data points?) then it really would be a nice reference.

From sales blurb:

"this comprehensive reference covers more than 150,000 comic books published in North America since 1900—listing the issue and after-market price, as well as the writers and artists who created them. The catalog provides collectors with information that is not available anywhere else: original print runs for tens of thousands of comics—based on decades of research; number of comics graded by Comics Guaranty Corporation; and for the first time, actual Auction Prices Realized for thousands of CGC-graded comics—based on an analysis of more than 100,000 eBay auctions. Plus, this book is great reading, with page after page of reviews of some of the most famous (and infamous) comics in history.

Every comic book has a checklist—a handy collector’s utility designed as a tool for storing a collection

More than 2,000 photos and reviews of individual titles!

Includes facts about more than 150,000 comic books published since 1900

Covers after-market prices, writers, artists, original print runs, character appearances, story titles, and more."

Here's a little snip from the Wizard sales site for a set of 9.4 CGC'd books they're selling as a bundle.

Action Comics #662 (Superman reveals himself to Lois Lane)

Batman #497 (Batman Breaks Neck)

Crisis On Infinite Earths #1

Daredevil: Man Without Fear #1 (Frank Miller Series),

Fantastic Four (Vol. 2) #1

Superman: Man of Steel #1 (Chest Cover)

Web of Spider-Man #1

Total Retail Value is over $220. Buy now at a special price of $99.95. That is less than $15 per book, the grading alone will cost you more than that! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get these special books at a crazy low price!

If you accept that they're not selling this stuff at a loss then Wizard is getting a pretty deep discount from CGC on slabbing costs. They probably do a big volume on their 1/2 and other books with CGC grading too, I think it's a business to business relationship.

dave h

I can accept it since grading cost is actually only $12 per book for these moderns with 20% maximum retailer discount (like thru Heritage and Metropolis and Monumental). and the books are probably from overstock whose value has been claimed/accounted for in someone's losses back in the mid 90s. Also ask yourself, how did they so many copies at this grade? - Prescreen. What about their higher copies? They are selling them off at 5-10x cost. Remember the ASM 328 with the McFarlane spidey and hulk cover? CGC 9.8 through wizard - $200 or $199.95, I think - correct me if I'm wrong - it can be found in wizard's inserts from last year's issues. So the semi loss (if any) that they are taking on these 9.4s, they are making hand over fist on their 9.6 and higher to compensate and Wizard gets to keep their 9.9s and 10.0s all for themselves smile.gif

Yep...these are sunk cost books they are blowing out, after making the real $$ on the 9.6+ books. Regardless of the overall profit, gman would still never approve of selling a book below cost!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Yep...these are sunk cost books they are blowing out, after making the real $$ on the 9.6+ books. Regardless of the overall profit, gman would still never approve of selling a book below cost!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif
Yep...I always thought that it is advisable to sell of deadwood books regardless of the price as long if it covers the bloody grading fees. The real $$ is made on the cherries! thumbsup2.gif

The real $$ is made on the cherries! thumbsup2.gif

You still have any...cherries? Greggy?

frown.gif Not Marvels! 893frustrated.gif But...I did sell at the right time! thumbsup2.gif