• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saw My Favorite Artist At The National Last Week

16 posts in this topic

As a regular at The National and other Big Apple shows, I've come to expect to see Jim Steranko at the show and usually he is there, holding court. He had some kind of special thing going on for Sunday, but it was business as usual on Saturday.

I brought in something that I bought on here from someone last year for him to sign; his History of Comics, Volume 1 in the original mailer. I got him to sign both the mailer and the book. He said he still has the original artwork for the mailer in his 'vault'.

Here's a scan of the half that has the artwork,

File3105.jpg

It was also funny hearing him describe his work on Hulk King Size Annual 1; he said another artist was having deadline trouble and they called him at the last minute to do the cover art. He brought the finished piece into the offices the next day. And then, he says, they took his grimacing, veiny, ropy, Hulk face and pasted a Marie Severin smooth faced Hulk head over it. He said the original looks much better..

Steranko did the artwork for what are, to my knowledge, the first boxes designed for storing comic books. Marvel sold them in the early seventies. Couldn't fit all of it on my scanner bed, but here is most of the best of one:

570555-Image_1.jpg[/img]

I happen to be a big fan of Steranko's (got his autograph at one of my first cons in the late sixties) .....but I can't help thinking that his reputation is mainly built on 40 year old work.

His output basically ground to a halt decades ago. Except for the odd piece here or there.

I happen to be a big fan of Steranko's (got his autograph at one of my first cons in the late sixties) .....but I can't help thinking that his reputation is mainly built on 40 year old work.

His output basically ground to a halt decades ago. Except for the odd piece here or there.

He said to me one time that he built his reputation on 24 (or was it 26?) comics, that was it.

He said to me one time that he built his reputation on 24 (or was it 26?) comics, that was it.

It's pretty remarkable when you think about it.

I'm obviously in the minority but think Steranko is overrated. His best superhero work was when he imitated Kirby on Strange Tales. Once he started drawing in his own style, it really didn't impress me much. Something about how he drew anatomy and faces are unappealing to me. His pseudo-Dali type covers also leave me cold and seemed out of place in comics.

You can definitely see talent for sure but his comics work didn't seem like the perfect place to showcase it...

Jim

I'm obviously in the minority but think Steranko is overrated. His best superhero work was when he imitated Kirby on Strange Tales. Once he started drawing in his own style, it really didn't impress me much. Something about how he drew anatomy and faces are unappealing to me. His pseudo-Dali type covers also leave me cold and seemed out of place in comics.

You can definitely see talent for sure but his comics work didn't seem like the perfect place to showcase it...

Jim

As a kid, it was mind boggling to buy those Shield and Capt. America issues off the stand. I mean, talk about exciting! WOW!

Paul Rand, one of the greatest American graphic designers, built his reputation by borrowing from the european fine artists and designers like A.M. Cassandre and Miro. Streranko did something similar for comics by opening up the game. Dali might not be your cup of tea, but he also brought in cinematic elements that had not been seen in comics, except for perhaps Eisner, who was the greater innovator for sure.

It was also funny hearing him describe his work on Hulk King Size Annual 1; he said another artist was having deadline trouble and they called him at the last minute to do the cover art. He brought the finished piece into the offices the next day. And then, he says, they took his grimacing, veiny, ropy, Hulk face and pasted a Marie Severin smooth faced Hulk head over it. He said the original looks much better..

it does. and i don't even really care for Steranko, outside of the cover for X-Men 50, which is :cloud9: to me