• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dick Giordano to miss Portland Comic Show...

6 posts in this topic

Just got my confirmation packet for my three tables at the Portland Show October 12th, and was saddened to see that Giordano will not be attending after all.

"With regrets and apologies, I must cancel my trip and my appearance at your show. Medical test results taken recently show that my recuperation isn't proceeding as well as my optimistic evaluation thought. My doctor feels that the stress of such a trip would be potentially dangerous to my complete recovery. I was looking forward to coming out and I regret not being able to repay your many kindness' in accommodating my special needs. Perhaps another time... " frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

One of the coolest things about the Portland show is that the promo flyers include complete listings of each guest artist or writer's body of work, to make it easier to find books to get signed. In Giordano's case they didn't list all of his editing gigs, since that could have filled a flyer in its own, but looking over the writer-penciller-inker listings is pretty amazing... Stuff all the way back to the 50's including legendary titles like "Racket Squad in Action"... The show promoters are setting up a 100ft roll of paper and some Sharpies for fans to send their get well wishes... thumbsup2.gif

Guests that will be attending include Kieron Dwyer, Mark Waid, Michael Eury, Karl Kesel, Gary Martin, Ron Randall, Brandon Jerwa, Jim Smith, and famed Magic: The Gathering artist RK Post...

Looks like I may need to dig out my copies of Star Brand 16, Veronice in Rome 16, Marvel Tales 223, Freak Force 10, Dark Horse Presents 138, Omega Men 35, GI Joe Frontline 12, and Boris the Bear 14 as well as a few Morphlings and Lin Sivvis... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If anybody wants me to add a message to the get well card for them, just let me know. thumbsup2.gif

Sorry to hear this. What is the nature of Mr. Giordano's ailment?

He's a big part of the DC comics I remember most fondly, both as an artist and editor. When he came over from Charlton, he brought Denny O'Neil and Jim Aparo with him, and once O'Neil hooked up with Neal Adams, history was made!

Giordano-edited 1960s books: Aquaman, Beware the Creeper, Teen Titans (when it was good), Deadman in Strange Adventures, The Spectre, Hawk & Dove, House of Secrets, Witching Hour.

Giordano art on top of Neal Adams pencils on Batman and GL/GA defines the Bronze Age for me. And that Giordano polish on top of Dillin (JLA) and Irv Novick (Flash, GL, Batman) was almost as good. He's done some very very nice solo work on Batman, GL, GA, Wonder Woman among others.

Heck, he even guided Gerry Conway to turn in one of the best continuous runs of scripts of his career during 1982 when Giordano was directly editing the Bat-books.

Hope he gets well and has more stories to tell very soon.

Z.

Just got my confirmation packet for my three tables at the Portland Show October 12th, and was saddened to see that Giordano will not be attending after all.

"With regrets and apologies, I must cancel my trip and my appearance at your show. Medical test results taken recently show that my recuperation isn't proceeding as well as my optimistic evaluation thought. My doctor feels that the stress of such a trip would be potentially dangerous to my complete recovery. I was looking forward to coming out and I regret not being able to repay your many kindness' in accommodating my special needs. Perhaps another time... " frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

One of the coolest things about the Portland show is that the promo flyers include complete listings of each guest artist or writer's body of work, to make it easier to find books to get signed. In Giordano's case they didn't list all of his editing gigs, since that could have filled a flyer in its own, but looking over the writer-penciller-inker listings is pretty amazing... Stuff all the way back to the 50's including legendary titles like "Racket Squad in Action"... The show promoters are setting up a 100ft roll of paper and some Sharpies for fans to send their get well wishes... thumbsup2.gif

Guests that will be attending include Kieron Dwyer, Mark Waid, Michael Eury, Karl Kesel, Gary Martin, Ron Randall, Brandon Jerwa, Jim Smith, and famed Magic: The Gathering artist RK Post...

Looks like I may need to dig out my copies of Star Brand 16, Veronice in Rome 16, Marvel Tales 223, Freak Force 10, Dark Horse Presents 138, Omega Men 35, GI Joe Frontline 12, and Boris the Bear 14 as well as a few Morphlings and Lin Sivvis... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If anybody wants me to add a message to the get well card for them, just let me know. thumbsup2.gif

All the best to ! Hre's to a speedy recovery,

DAM

I would love for you to add one for me, House. Giordano was the artist on my Secret Files comic. It was such a major thrill for me to have one of DC's icons as an illustrator. Please tell him that my prayers are with him.

-- Joanna

I would love for you to add one for me, House. Giordano was the artist on my Secret Files comic. It was such a major thrill for me to have one of DC's icons as an illustrator. Please tell him that my prayers are with him.

-- Joanna

Me too House. I loved his artwork for JLA. I have recently picked up a couple pieces of his art and they really are stunning. DC would not be where it is without him.