• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Art on ebay

61 posts in this topic

i was just wondering people's thoughts on the watchmen art on ebay:

http://qurls.com?i=3659

well, six hundred bucks is a bit much for shipping, lol but those are good examples and a key sequence. what do you think these may go for? would you be heistant dealing with a bidder with no feedback? do you think the auction will run its course?

robert frey

Well, I'm interested in those pages, as it's a very memorable sequence. However, the zero feedback is a real red flag here. Also, the packaging cost of 600 dollars? Sounds suspicious that the guy may take the money and never be heard of again. I may email him to see if he's legit.

Well, I'm interested in those pages, as it's a very memorable sequence. However, the zero feedback is a real red flag here. Also, the packaging cost of 600 dollars? Sounds suspicious that the guy may take the money and never be heard of again. I may email him to see if he's legit.

He could buy round trip non-stop plane tickets from one coast to the other for less than $600.

Anyone who wins this auction would be foolish to not just book a flight to Sacramento and back instead of paying this fee.

It was hard to see the scans of the pages with all the red flags waving.

C

Chris

I emailed him as to why it was so expensive to ship and he told me he was shipping the art framed. I explained it would be cheaper and easier to take the art of the frames and ship flat but he replied he was worried about "damaging" the art by taking it out of the frame.

I'm with you on this one, too many red flags. If I were going to pull the trigger, it would be cash and in person.

S

If you don't get anything at all, you have a better chance. If they can prove that they mailed you SOMETHING (i.e., with a tracking #), you don't have much of a chance, because then it just becomes a game of "he said/she said".

I experienced this a couple of years ago w/ the FF cartoon DVDs that came out (for the 90's cartoon). I won it, paid the guy, he mailed me a "Best of He-Man" DVD set. I e-mailed him about it, mailed it back to him, and never got the FF DVDs. But because he'd mailed the first thing w/ tracking, I couldn't prove that he never mailed the FF DVD set. And he could "prove" that he mailed it w/ a tracking number.

THAT is why I never buy any big-ticket items off ebay. If I get ripped off, they don't get much.

Not as easy as it used to be. Paypal has adopted a policy that if the art is a forgery or not authentic they will not allow a claim. About a year ago I bought a piece that was a photocopy and sold as watercolor art by Nodell. Took about two weeks and it was resolved in my favor. Just recently an issue came of with a piece being original but when I received it the work was not as described (stats and some original art) but Paypal would not rule on it as a dispute, basically stating buyer beware and that they were not responsible for the validity of the art. Luckily it was not a high dollar piece, but I learned my lesson, established collectors only and no more EBAY purchases from those not in the hobby.

This guy probably knows the Pay Pal system very well. He knows how to win the dispute or have it disallowed totally. Then he gets the cash. The buyer gets well screwed over and Pay Pal wont care. I have been ripped off. I know of a few others that have been ripped off. Pro scam artists know how PayPal works. They take advantage of any little thing they can. Reminds me of a Ebay Judge Judy case. A woman won a auction for two cell phones. She was sent two pictures of the phones. Pay Pal didn't give her money back. Judge Judy sure did though....

Make sure your credit card has a solid 0-liability policy and charge it. I charge everything that I pay for with PayPal... they are useless. I have never had my credit card company (Chase) fail to reverse the charges.

It's interesting seeing myself talked about in this way. The auction and the art is very real. While I understand your concerns over the "red flags," they stem from my not being a professional ebay seller or art auctioneer. The art is now out of the frames, I'm calculating new shipping costs, open to other payment options and scanning the art as fast as I can, which I will post here shortly.

I'm very easy to talk to and (obviously) interested in making a sale, so if anyone is interested please contact me via the auction at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120188844501&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

It's interesting seeing myself talked about in this way. The auction and the art is very real. While I understand your concerns over the "red flags," they stem from my not being a professional ebay seller or art auctioneer. The art is now out of the frames, I'm calculating new shipping costs, open to other payment options and scanning the art as fast as I can, which I will post here shortly.

I'm very easy to talk to and (obviously) interested in making a sale, so if anyone is interested please contact me via the auction at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120188844501&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

well gee, we feel much more confident since you have zero feedback and one post on the boards. to gain maximum dollar value, you'd be better served to build some sort of reputation with smaller items, then move to a bigger piece. or, sell your piece through a different venue, that protects buyers from scams. 2c