• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Hitler Heads

14 posts in this topic

What I wanna know is where I find these "full pages of pictures showing ... native women" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I love back cover ads... My favorite part of scanning old comics. thumbsup2.gif

Except when you get stuck scanning two hundred Albert Dorne ads in a row... 893frustrated.gif

I have Joanna

But by far, the ad that actually frightened/disturbed me the most as a young comic book reader was for a 1970's book about photographer Charles Eisenmann, and his fascination with photographing what he terms as "human freaks." The book includes photographs and biographies of the performers depicted in his book as "human freaks", and taken during the Victorian era. Often referred to as "monsters" or "freaks" by the medical profession, the subjects of this photographic collection made their living appearing in circuses, side shows, and living museums across America from the 1880s through the 1890s. The original ad which appeared in comics were filled with at least 15-20 different images -- including what appeared to be a "wolfman."

Does anyone recall this ad?

The book has recently been reprinted as Monsters: Human Freaks in America's Gilded Age: The Photographs of Chas Eisenmann

IDoes anyone recall this ad?

Oh yeah, it had a guy with three legs, a monkey child holding onto a man's suit, a wolfman, siamese twins, a guy with no legs who walked on his hands, a lady with something growing out of her, a par of real tall/short guys, a guy with stretchy skin, etc.

Is that the one?

Oh yeah, it had a guy with three legs, a monkey child holding onto a man's suit, a wolfman, siamese twins, a guy with no legs who walked on his hands, a lady with something growing out of her, a par of real tall/short guys, a guy with stretchy skin, etc.

Is that the one?

No Joe... you're thinking of the CGC forum dinner...

Is that the one?

No Joe... you're thinking of the CGC forum dinner...

sign-funnypost.gif

I too remember that ad - but to say that those 'freak shows' existed only in the 1880s-'90s is inaccurate... those were around even into the 1950s and '60s. I went to a sideshow / carnival in Connecticut in about 1969 with some of those elements...more animals than people, but some of both...

Is that the one?

That's the one... do you or anyone here happen to have a scan of the original ad?

I too remember that ad - but to say that those 'freak shows' existed only in the 1880s-'90s is inaccurate... those were around even into the 1950s and '60s. I went to a sideshow / carnival in Connecticut in about 1969 with some of those elements...more animals than people, but some of both...

Thats per verbatim from the books synopsis. It's not to say that you didn't see what you did in the late 60's, or that people with such abnormalities (as they were exploited by circuses, carnivals and books like this) still don't exist today.

From what little I understand about this project, these photos were originally taken during the late 1800's (Victorian-era). The photos were then collected by the author of this book through a means of acquisitions, and later assembled into a book which was first published in the 1970's. The book was recently reprinted. The ad however was very eerie, and it wasn't until I came across this in a bookstore recently that I remembered that ad in comics.

Just a few years ago I was at a local county fair and they had "the smallest woman in the world" on display. I thought it was a trick with mirrors and such so I got a ticket to go inside and see the "gimmick"...

She was real and I felt like a freak for paying to look at her. frown.gif