• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where to start with The Spirit?

5 posts in this topic

So I think I've decided to start reading the Spirit strips collected in the Spirit Archives. Where should I start? I've never read any of the Spirit but I like the look of the art and have read raves of the writing. I've also heard that vols. 12-15 are the place to start with the Spirit. Advice?

The writing was refreshingly coherent compared to other GA from that period. You can start anywhere in the storyline. Eisner's layouts were innovative and still hold up well today. Save the Wally Wood Outer Space storyline for last, as the art is stunning. :foryou:

The writing was refreshingly coherent compared to other GA from that period. You can start anywhere in the storyline. Eisner's layouts were innovative and still hold up well today. Save the Wally Wood Outer Space storyline for last, as the art is stunning. :foryou:

Uh... what he said.

You may want to check eBay for the Kitchen Sink reprints from the 1980s. I imagine they can be had fairly cheap and provide lots of good Spirit reading.

Darwyn Cooke's new Spirit series, while not Eisner, is great stuff.

The KS reprints are a great way to start. The reprint the series chronologically starting with the post-war sections (when Eisner returned to the strip). The only issue may be that you won't be familiar with many of the characters.

The KS reprints are a great way to start. The reprint the series chronologically starting with the post-war sections (when Eisner returned to the strip). The only issue may be that you won't be familiar with many of the characters.
(thumbs u