• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The deepset, darkest blue I have ever seen on a Marvel #1

49 posts in this topic

That, my friend is my idea of a Marvel 1 cover. Those colors just leap off the page right at you.So So many Marvel 1s have that greyish hue on the cover instaed of these rich blues and yellows.The pay copy is another great example of great deep blue and yellowcovers.The Larson and the Nick Cage[oct] marvel1s are examples of greyish hue covers.Quite a difference!

It is the cleaning that makes the difference. The oils that flow from the interior inks in the book into the covers make any cover look grey. Have any of you ever seen a Journey Into Mystery #83 cover look blue? Every copy I have ever seen is dull, blah grey. Even the pedigree 9.4 copies out there. I owned an unrestored 5.0/5.5 copy that was the bluest copy any one had ever seen. It was just stunning.

That is a great MC #1 even if it is a low grade beater. Those whites are blinding!

(worship)

It is the cleaning that makes the difference. The oils that flow from the interior inks in the book into the covers make any cover look grey. Have any of you ever seen a Journey Into Mystery #83 cover look blue? Every copy I have ever seen is dull, blah grey. Even the pedigree 9.4 copies out there. I owned an unrestored 5.0/5.5 copy that was the bluest copy any one had ever seen. It was just stunning.

That is a great MC #1 even if it is a low grade beater. Those whites are blinding!

(worship)

Roy, a 7.0 is high grade....... :makepoint:

Yes, I know the reasons for the duller color covers,printing,sunfading and cleaning to name a few.Just take a look at the pay copy and most of the 8.0 blue labels have spectacular colors.I have owned 2 Marvel 1s, one with grayish hue and another with rich blues and yellows.I ammeadiatly sold the greyish one the second I got my rich blue cover.It just BLUE it away! Once you see blue ya never go back! Its just the most beautiful color cover to me.

(worship)

lol

Bill, I'm a Silver Age Marvel zombie, not a dork. I was just razzin all the GA guys who were posting in the 9.4 thread in the General Forum these past few days.

:jokealert:

Wow, I definitely agree with you all that the Marvel 1 copy on Heritage has the deepest blue colors I've seen. I was doing some research on the Heritage archives and saw too that the other 9.0 copy is blue as well, but more lighter with a hint of green to it. That copy had some nice colors as well.

(worship)

lol

Bill, I'm a Silver Age Marvel zombie, not a dork. I was just razzin all the GA guys who were posting in the 9.4 thread in the General Forum these past few days.

:jokealert:

gotcha (thumbs u

Hasn't this book been up recently and not sold (reserve too high)?

hello all...

yes, this is the same copy that was in the last 3 heritage auctions...I was high bidder 2 of the 3 times without hitting reserve, and was high bidder on the 2nd auction, but our own board member JamesWellborn won it the 2nd time by hitting reserve, but did not complete the transaction, so the book went up a 3rd time...I had actually "bought" this copy post heritage auction (the 3rd time), but, again, for some reason, my accepted offer was later "un" accepted (I was never given a reason why!!!!), and I guess it sold to someone else (or did not sell at all, just a change of venues by the consignor)...

now, compare the comiclink scan to the 3 heritage scans, and the cover is not "that" blue in the heritage scans...so, I am unsure if Josh just has a better scanner, or what?

I can tell you all the final price will be my "winning" price this time (with no reserve)... :baiting:

that said, it never got over $30K in any of the heritage auctions, save one bidder (James, mentioned above)...

rick

Do ya'll want to try this one on for size...

marvel1.jpg

The blue on Marvel 1 is the first thing to fade.

And a cleaned copy won't have enhanced colors, you can't bring them back.

Good luck on the Kansas City copy Rick.

Maybe we will be able to put them side by side early next year! :wishluck:

Do ya'll want to try this one on for size...

marvel1.jpg

The blue on Marvel 1 is the first thing to fade.

And a cleaned copy won't have enhanced colors, you can't bring them back.

Good luck on the Kansas City copy Rick.

Maybe we will be able to put them side by side early next year! :wishluck:

:wishluck:

now, compare the comiclink scan to the 3 heritage scans, and the cover is not "that" blue in the heritage scans...so, I am unsure if Josh just has a better scanner, or what?

Not sure about Josh's scan. If anything it looks dark. Here it is lightened up, no contrast of color enhancemanet.. just brightened up. The blues look more in line with Richies crahppy 6.0.. :jokealert:

And yes, Good Luck Rick!.. you can tell us how it looks once you have it in your mitts. :wishluck:

Ze-

C-Links scan

marvel1-1.jpg

Same scan lightened, probably closer to what the book looks like in person.

marvel1.jpg