• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You could not invent a better auction...

14 posts in this topic

...that would illustrate how insane things have gotten:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170173505718

Mind you - it is OA from DKR - but it's two panels that should have been included when the guy sold the page this was from.

How would you frame this and justify the purchase to yourself? It's two panels! I know others who have pages with DKR art on top of a panel as a correction and this is no different.

On the other hand, they're two GREAT panels and likely the least expensive DKR (though unpublished) OA that anyone would be able to purchase...

Should be VERY interesting to see what this winds up at. I'd say $2000 easy.

I'd say the Hi/Low is $5000/$1000

Well, now that the auction is over I can post my thoughts (and believe me, these thoughts would be the same whether I had won or lost). I definitely had my eye on this, but seeing what it went for, I know I wasn't in the ballpark.

From discussion with the seller and comparison with the published version, I believe this is a pure Miller published patch he did for the page. Here's the full story I'm GUESSING at thus far: Miller wasn't happy with all of Klaus' inks on the book and, without telling him, did patches for some pages. He sent the pages in to DC for publishing. (not sure if Frank was getting them back for review before submission or what?) Anyhow, when Klaus got the pages back from DC for his share, he found out about the revisions and this created conflict between he and Miller. He actually removed some patches from the pages, but included them when selling the pages.

This particular seller bought the page 20 years ago, and mentioned that when he sold the page 5 years ago he received less than he should have because not all the panels matched up with the published version. Also, DC stamped the back of the patch, for whatever that's worth... The seller doesn't trust his memory on this story, so wrote the listing the way he did to be as fair as possible, which I think is admirable. He sold the page without the patch because they became separated and he only just found the patch again in a comic box.

Now, I'm not ASSUMING anything, and feel this piece is a research project. You'd have to ask Frank or Klaus to ID this and see if they remember anything. (Could be a sore subject?) This is just reasoned speculation based on discussion and eyeballing the pieces (crappy pics below). It looks dead on the same to me, including tell-tale lines that extend beyond the border in both the published version and OA.

I'd be interested in hearing what some of the more experienced DKR collectors think about this!! I think it's clear the bidding assumed the same thing I was piecing together!!

J

Your "guesses" are pretty much the same thing I've heard. A lot of pages from DKR were tweaked to one degree or another. I had a long talk with Albert Moy about this once (as he's the one who sold Janson's share of the series, books 2 and 3)...he is a great resource for DKR lore and if anyone has a chance to talk to him about it, they should.

I'm the "winner" of this auction, what basically amounts to the most expensive sketch cards ever.:insane: But I'm a DKR nut and think these will frame nicely.

I'm the "winner" of this auction, what basically amounts to the most expensive sketch cards ever.:insane: But I'm a DKR nut and think these will frame nicely.

Congrats, buddy! We're all a little :insane: when it comes to this hobby. The important thing is you were victorious in getting the art you wanted!! :applause:

Thanks! There hasn't been any DKR art on the open market in almost two years (since a page on Heritage in Jan. '06). I had no idea what to expect from this auction. It finished within my range (albeit on the high end), so all's well that end's well.

DKR and WATCHMEN on Ebay in the same week...the world is coming to an end!

Your "guesses" are pretty much the same thing I've heard. A lot of pages from DKR were tweaked to one degree or another. I had a long talk with Albert Moy about this once (as he's the one who sold Janson's share of the series, books 2 and 3)...he is a great resource for DKR lore and if anyone has a chance to talk to him about it, they should.

Woo Hoo....way to go Felix. I agree this is pure Miller most likely...and from a key page in the book and it's about 1/3 of the page. Given what this full page would sell for I would say you did very well on it.The fact that this is most likely all Miller makes it even better.

Now if it wasn't for that underbidder that just registered on ebay and has zero feedback you would have saved yourself a grand.

I wonder if it was one of those highly vocal potential buyers who is always promising princely sums for DKR art....hmmm. hm Nah....couldn't be. lol

Anyway...nice work. :applause:

C

I've got to agree here.

A) Most likely 100% Miller patches.

B) I was watching with interest, but knew it would be out of my price range. Easily.

C) I was right.

D) One helluva nice pickup. Even if it isn't a full page.