• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You want crazy ? Ill show ya crazy.

29 posts in this topic

Wow, rounded corners and water stain = 9.8 :screwy:

I know it's a 99% chance it's an optical illusion with the scan but it looks like a water stain doesn't it?

It does look like a water stain, but I am sure it is the ad on the inside cover or the splash page.

Tough to see the splash page thru the microchamber paper.....no? :baiting:

Ink transfer stain from the first page.

I'd be pizzed if I bought a 9.8 with a big one of those. :censored:

My 9.6 had the same thing

3AVENGERS196FC.jpg

and chippy creases at both URFC and LRFC.....,??? That is :screwy:

That $487 last minute snipe bid by p***i( 549) is everyones favorite ebayer...pastimperfekt. :busy:

yah. here's his 30-day summary:

Total bids: 2672

Items bid on: 1556

dude has all kinds of disposable funds. must be nice

That $487 last minute snipe bid by p***i( 549) is everyones favorite ebayer...pastimperfekt. :busy:

That's 89 bids on 51 items a day. Sounds like a lot of work for one person. hm

He/she either won the lottery; or it's a Congress person putting our tax dollars

to their own good use. :/

I know it's a 99% chance it's an optical illusion with the scan but it looks like a water stain doesn't it?

It does look like a water stain, but I am sure it is the ad on the inside cover or the splash page.

That "stain" is just the "show" from the inside front cover. The problem is it "shows" a blue t-shirt... a t-shirt worn by none other than OJ Simpson. :o

It is the ad on the IFC. Nearly all of my Avengers from that period have the same issue, including all the 9.8s I have. I was looking at some recently to submit to CGC and any cover that isn't dark is somewhat translucent.

This book is from the void before I got back in ... I take it the general assumption is that this moneybags is buying this on speculation? I understand speculating on a 9.8 has felt like a pretty good bet up to date ... but this book feels to me like from an era where thousands and thousands -- heck, maybe tens of thousands and tens of thousands -- bought and bagged off the rack and left untouched.

The census has only 25 graded ... including 14 9.6s and 5 9.8s ... The Standard Catalog of Comic Books IDs this issue as one of the heights of the title's print run at 235,791, eclipsed only by runs of 5,000 to 10,000 more in 1984-86.

That appears to mean it was very popular -- also evidenced by high prices paid 25 years (a generation or so) later right now -- but also that there are likely mountains of ungraded copies out there.

So, what's the general thinking here ... that the number of ungraded 9.8s "out there" means this is a poor investment ... or that the demand combined with general wear will keep 9.8s scarce?

I fall on the side of the former, but I'm curious about other opinions.